People Who Died (5 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Erik Bauersfeld

databank_ackbar_01_169_55137220.jpeg

Erik Bauersfeld Dead: Admiral Ackbar Voice Actor Was 93

"After Haggard’s father died when he was 9, he turned rebellious, hopping a freight train to Fresno and getting picked up by the authorities when he was just 10
He was in and out of reform schools and deemed “incorrigible,” and ended up in and out of jail as a young adult, culminating in a stretch in prison when he was 20 years old.
Haggard began to take music seriously while in prison at San Quentin, where he was on hand for the Johnny Cash performance that was captured for the iconic live album At San Quentin."

Jees, you can't say he didn't live it.

RIP

A lovely tribute from Deke Dickerson. And it resolves the internal conflict I have with Okie from Muskogee.

Read the whole thing here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I admired his ability to admit that he was wrong, and how he learned from experience. He explained to me for nearly an hour how "dumb as a rock" he was when he wrote the right-wing anthems "Okie from Muskogee" and "Fightin' Side Of Me:"

Merle: "I was dumb as a rock, you know, I thought that the government told us the truth, and I thought that marijuana made you walk around with your mouth open. So when you write a song from that limited understanding, and have it become a hit, I was really in a whirlwind of change in America, and in my own way of thinking. 'Okie from Muskogee' came off the wall, written in about ten minutes, and it came off the back side of my brain, and my heart. Because I was disturbed about young America.

"See, I was easing into my thirties, at that time, so I was pretty much out of here as far as the young people were concerned, and they were young kids that I was irritated with, and they were doing things that I thought were un-American. Well, it wasn't un-American, they were smarter than me! Kids are always smarter than the old folks....they see through our bigotry, and our hypocrisy. And I had a great lesson in life to learn, that they were already aware of. I believe history has proven them right. The Vietnam War was a hoax, the reason we went to war was a lie...maybe communism was a threat, but that wasn't why we were there.

"What went on in the evolution of America and the evolution of Merle Haggard is not what people would have expected." (Merle Haggard interview by Deke Dickerson, 2007.

I saw Merle recently at what might have been his last show (can anyone confirm this?), back in February at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills. It was an odd audience mix of rich folks, entertainment industry assholes, rednecks, alternative rockers, aging hippies and hipsters. The minute that Merle hit the stage, despite his frail voice, the entire room was in the palm of his hand. Grown men kept yelling at the top of their lungs, "WE LOVE YOU MERLE!" It was, simply, to be in the presence of greatness. It wasn't the greatest Merle Haggard performance he ever gave, but he gave all he had, sang his famous songs and walked off stage, as he did, without an encore. The audience, myself included, felt grateful to be seeing something that we all knew we probably wouldn't be seeing many more times. Nobody there knew the end would be coming so damn fast.

RIP Merle Haggard. There's a big hole in my heart and a gaping chasm in the chest of country music today."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back