People Who Died (10 Viewers)

I've seen people going on about him all morning. I'd heard the name but have no clue who he is.

Really?

A brilliant man with a Rolls Royce brain. Fond of a jar.

I loved reading his stuff in Slate and in Vanity Fair.

This is him on Jerry Falwell's death.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The video is in the context of endless people on singing Falwell's praises.

He was also a turbo atheist and railed against religion in much of his work.

For example in Hell's Angel he wrote about mother thesesa and the evil acts she perpetrated, even within her famous orphanage: eg not using sterile medical equipment on the kids or getting them proper medical attention (which *was* available despite the poverty). She also entirely lost her faith in later years to the point that the church actually performed an exorcism on her to try and rid her of her perceived demons.

'How religion poisons everything' is also worth a read. Great ammo for showing how religion is not only complete bunk, but also an entirely unsuitable basis for forming any sort of moral code.

The backlash has already started:

Picture-240.jpeg

How very christian...

Lloyd Cole quoting Amis

Lloyd Cole[h=6]<Amis on Hitchins. I love this.>
Every novelist of his acquaintance is riveted by Christopher, not just qua friend but also qua novelist. I considered the retort I am about to quote (all four words of it) so epiphanically devastating that I put it in a novel – indeed, I put Christopher in a novel. Mutatis mutandis (and it is the novel itself that dictates the changes), Christopher "is" Nicholas Shackleton in The Pregnant Widow – though it really does matter, in this case, what the meaning of "is" is… The year was 1981. We were in a tiny Italian restaurant in west London, where we would soon be joined by our future first wives. Two elegant young men in waisted suits were unignorably and interminably fussing with the staff about rearranging the tables, to accommodate the large party they expected. It was an intensely class-conscious era (because the class system was dying); Christopher and I were candidly lower-middle bohemian, and the two young men were raffishly minor-gentry (they had the air of those who await, with epic stoicism, the deaths of elderly relatives). At length, one of them approached our table, and sank smoothly to his haunches, seeming to pout out through the fine strands of his fringe. The crouch, the fringe, the pout: these had clearly enjoyed many successes in the matter of bending others to his will. After a flirtatious pause he said, "You're going to hate us for this."

[/h]
And Christopher said, "We hate you already."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back