pay cuts (1 Viewer)

not yet although i expect it will come soon

i'm just happy i'm working. when i was applying for jobs after college, if i had got a job with a place i applied, i'd be unemployed as they had announced redundancies a few months ago

no pay cuts here yet, but recruitment freeze in place and certain allowances cut. I'm very lucky tho, my previous position in my old place has been made redundant, and everyone else has had to take a paycut.

A country is rich either because it is strong politically and militarily or it is rich in resources (be in people or natural resources).

Ireland, Iceland... these countries are ultimately disposable. There isn't anything fundamentally important to the rest of the world about these countries.

Luxembourg, Lichtenstein and Switzerland all seem to do okay. I'm not aware of any huge amount of natural resources nor vast military industrial complexes located in any of these countries. I thought yours was a great post though.

if you look at those countries, they have passed vast amounts of wealth down the line within their own people though.

The wealth is coming from the previous generation. Or dead Jews gold teeth. Or very fucking shady taxation / banking policies.
Or all of the above in Switzerland's case.

Billy also said something in a post before that was absolutely dead on, something along the lines of Ireland is that sad fucker whining on daytime TV, who's won the lottery and managed to blow it.

I might be embellishing his words there slightly but that was the general gist I think.

Billy also said something in a post before that was absolutely dead on, something along the lines of Ireland is that sad fucker whining on daytime TV, who's won the lottery and managed to blow it.

I might be embellishing his words there slightly but that was the general gist I think.

Well there's an impolite Americanism that sums it up succinctly. I doubt you'll get George Lee using that term though!

As far as the smaller countries are concerned I was just pointing out that countries that are small and don't have natural resources (unless you can call Jewish gold teeth a natural resource) can be wealthy. I'm aware those nations cited have had historical advantages.

Luxembourg and Lichtenstein's natural resource are rich people.

That money is old colonial I Own Fucking Everything South of The Nile money, just recycling.

Norway is an interesting case. They have basically one natural resource, oil.
Roughly speaking, the UK and Norway found Oil in the North Sea. Thatcher said lovely, and sold it to the usual shower of cunts for obscenely low money, got like you say above, nigger rich, promptly went out and bought a load of nuclear submarines and various other bollocks that made her cock swell. She basically robbed and gave away British people's property. But they were stupid enough to vote for her.

Norway nationalised the oil, and treated it like belonged to the people, and invested it in commie stuff like roads and education.

Norway is now wading around neck deep in money. As are the robber baron oil companies that Thatcher palmed the British people's fortunes off to.

interesting.
I hadn't thought about it that way. (re the big jump between the 40k above / below.) Is that actually true I wonder?

well I have nothing to base it on... but...

Are these very low paid workers being asked to take pay cuts too? I thought it was more the other class of dudes, the lads with the Mercs.

in my company it was across the board, in another similar business is was straggered across the range of wages (35k below cut by 5%, 45k below cut by 7.5% 55k plus cut by 10%,or something like that) which is fairer, but again when you're living tight a 5% cut hurts more then 10% if your earning more... as I said difference between a sun holiday or defualting on the rent/mortgage

Luxembourg, Lichtenstein and Switzerland all seem to do okay. I'm not aware of any huge amount of natural resources nor vast military industrial complexes located in any of these countries. I thought yours was a great post though.

switzerland has a really hardcore army don't they?

I recently got a promotion and a raise, what's this thread on about?

(well actually there were no bonuses and a pay-freeze but anyway)

looks like i'll be getting a bonus; the company locked itself into a (company) performance related bonus scheme, and they're still making shedloads of money. no word on pay rises, or lack thereof, yet.

switzerland has a really hardcore army don't they?

Highest per capita gun ownership in the world. 10,000,000 guns for 7,000,000 people. A friend lives there close to the French border, one of his work colleagues is a reservist whose job in the even of an invasion is to blow up the bridges into the country near where he's based.

However it was always going to be short lived. Countries like India, China, Brazil and Russia have huge populations and lots and lots of natural resources. All they have to do is to have a stable political structure. Educating their population to do the jobs we want to do isn't all that hard.
All they have to do?
Dude, maintaining a stable political structure within a country is just about the hardest thing of all to do. And natural resources count for almost nothing if you don't have the wherewithal to exploit them

Highest per capita gun ownership in the world. 10,000,000 guns for 7,000,000 people. A friend lives there close to the French border, one of his work colleagues is a reservist whose job in the even of an invasion is to blow up the bridges into the country near where he's based.

ya it's nuts, when you finish your service, you keep an assault rifle with ammo in your home for when the shit kicks off. my old teacher told me he saw hidden bases in the mountains with fighters flying in and out all the time. not to mention the deadly swiss army knife.

to continue with my right wing streak thats been emerging since february or so, iv'e gotten very pro national service, but only for the reason that i spent the ages 17 - 19 in a alcoholic haze of sorts. the gun thing probably is'nt necessary or worthwhile, but being made spend a year running about in the woods with backpacks on and firing out sandbags in the lowlands during the wet season would probably have done me good.

Norway is an interesting case. They have basically one natural resource, oil.
Roughly speaking, the UK and Norway found Oil in the North Sea. Thatcher said lovely, and sold it to the usual shower of cunts for obscenely low money, got like you say above, nigger rich, promptly went out and bought a load of nuclear submarines and various other bollocks that made her cock swell. She basically robbed and gave away British people's property. But they were stupid enough to vote for her.

Norway nationalised the oil, and treated it like belonged to the people, and invested it in commie stuff like roads and education.

Norway is now wading around neck deep in money. As are the robber baron oil companies that Thatcher palmed the British people's fortunes off to.

Norway also has Fishing and Forrestry which serves to increase the wealth of the country significantly and make them much more self sufficient than other countries (material for house building, paper, food, and exporting those goods).

They also have high tax rates but great infrastructure/education/healthcare and standard of living. It seems that there you get what you pay for.

I didn't mind taking a pay freeze this year at all. What did annoy me was the fact that they didnt acknowledge it was taking place. They could have just said it at our staff meeting and then we'd have offically been told. Instead they let it filter through the grapevine in the office which just lead to people getting more pissed off and worked up.

hmm, I mean, they had the fish and the trees in the 1900s, and during that period they were amongst the poorest in Europe.

They have a very well educated people, they pay tons of tax, they have a government of people who aren't rife with ferociously corrupt Kerry footballers and so on, but their money, their real wealth is oil money, which is distributed back into social programs, health and various other things for the people, and later into sovereign wealth funds. (So when the oil runs out, they will remain being wealthy.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back