• Thread starter path
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0

path

Since 2000
morning

OK seeing as how its nearly the end of 2001, its time to drag out that hoary old chestnut, the best album of the year thread.

Rather than do the customary 'top five' this year I've decided to do a top four and then a 'biggest disappointment' (rather than worst album), because I never buy shit music. I never regret purchasing anything. Ahem.

OK top four albums (in no order) are:

SeaLifePark "Wildlife Documentary" (Quietly Suburban Records) Their first full-length proper album from this Sydney outfit and fuck me its amazing. Perfect quiet indie-pop with lots of noise (hmm contradiction there), female vocals, and stop start melodic guitar loops that stick in your head all day. I didnt think they could improve on their first eponymously titled debut but this is incredible. It's played to death on my stereo but I haven't got sick of it, I dont think I could. You can order it from http://www.quietlysuburban.com.au (best name for a record label ever).

Jan Jelinek "Loop finding Jazz Records" (~scape) This year was one of minimalism and stripped-down-to-the-bones for me, and this pretty much summed it up in two pieces of vinyl. Jelinek allegedly took famous jazz records and filtered them so much he came out with this, and although I cant hear anything along the lines of Kind Of Blue in there, the album has warmth and subtle changes in time and tone in a jazzy style (or maybe I'm still off my face) in amongst the clicks and hisses.

Herbert "Bodily Functions" (Studio K7!) Matthew Herbert incorporated the Manifesto of Mistakes into his PCCOM contract, and spat this out. A nice mix of low end soulful deep house, piano interludes, and minimal click. The female vocals (yes, I'm an easy target) mould beautifully into it all, ever teasing and sensual, never being overly blatant like many other house records. Extremely French, dare I even say a music for Situationists.

Richie Hawtin "Closer to The Edit" (Novamute?) Ok so its a mix album really so it shouldnt count as such (best mix album of the year actually goes to Weatherall for Hypercity on Forcetracks), but seeing as how the lad put so much work into it, I couldnt ignore it. As a 'mix album' there's not much going on really, no tackological build ups or 'anthems' to get the hands in the air; just loads of basic changes, deconstructed loops, and microscopic sampled pieces all glued back together again. But what made it for me was the fact that I had quite a lot of the stuff featured here already (scum trainspotter) and when you hear what he's done with the different tunes, it is actually quite inventive.

Ok then so biggest disappointment. A close second was "Drukqs" by the Aphex Twin (Warp), four years since the last one and only standard Aphex fare, but the winner (loser?) of this one goes to Spiritualized for "Let It Come Down" (Dedicated?). Since the ultra-masterpiece of "Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space" in 1997, I suppose only an album of biblical proportions would have satisfied me. After all the nonsense with the Lupine Howl (also shite) crew, and finally getting back to the studio, Pierce failed to recapture the buzz (maybe he just wasn't as skagged out of it as before). The album sounded more... mainstream than before, and the lyrics just didnt work, he could write that stuff in his sleep, and possibly did. By any other bands standards it's still a very good album but wasn't worth the wait.

I'm going to cross post this to ie-indie and thumped.com/bbs, hope you dont mind.

regards

i can't believe you gave this a post of it's own. 'path best album of 2001'. man, where do you get off? answer me this, do you honestly think anyone gives a shit? i mean why didn't you start a thread 'best albums of 2001' and let everyone give it a shot? you're a maniac! you stink! EVERYONE, COME ON, 'PATH STINKS'!!!

PANTONES BEST POSTS OF 2001

ok best posts on thumped in reverse order....

5. Hags post above... a late entry but definitely needed to be said

4. The "Locust Fans Read it and Weep Post"... a pack of nutters carrying on a joke for way, way, way, to long. A big novelty hit.

3. That post about being Northside or not.. went on for years, got complaints, spawned Fake Working Class...nuff' said!

2. The one that started THINGS up....Thumped in useful post shock!!

And the number 1 post on Thumped for 2001.... the one that just wouldn't die...

1. Pricks

Maybe he just meant "Path Best Album of 2001" in the same way that that baldy gold midget guy meant "Oscar Best Film of 2001".

Path, what about a "Path Best Path of 2001" award instead?

My vote goes to the one in Malahide Castle where I once heard a hedgehog fart.

hag (07 Dec, 2001 12:12 p.m.):
i can't believe you gave this a post of it's own. 'path best album of 2001'. man, where do you get off? answer me this, do you honestly think anyone gives a shit? i mean why didn't you start a thread 'best albums of 2001' and let everyone give it a shot? you're a maniac! you stink! EVERYONE, COME ON, 'PATH STINKS'!!!

Stewart Little (07 Dec, 2001 12:35 p.m.):
The Keds thread was up there with the best.
Hag, did you audition?
Are you in the band?

I heart/hate that thing was fun for a while too...

This thread is shit however.

oh yeah the heart/hate... that WAS fun

well tuff shit... its PANTONES chart...not PANTONE and STEWAERT " LIZARD" LITTLE list of BEST LIZARDS FOR 2001!!!!

you must have been SO glad Icke didn't start up on the lizards and ruin your little lizard plan, huh?? scaley boy...huh huh?!

HUH!!!

Anthony (07 Dec, 2001 01:07 p.m.):
My favourite Thumped thread was:

"anyone remember pricks?" where we laughed and joked about a time when we said pricks.

anto, i'm with you on that one, prick.
it brings a tear to me jap's eye just thinking about it.

hey path, mmmm, buying major label records, tut tut.

Oh for fucks sake. The bitches of thumped come out again. Stop jumping to fucking instant conclusions. I just meant the subject as a 'MY best album of 2001' actually. How could I possibly NOT let people join in with their own stuff? With my super magic teleknesis powers preventing people from clicking their mouse on the 'Post' button? I was hoping other people would join in. Did you ever think about that? Did you? Are you going to reply to this?

Incidentally if you go to ie-indie you will see I've posted (at the exact same time) the subject as just 'best album of 2001', at not one point was I ever being in some way elitist or whatever the fuck it is you are getting at hag. I didnt even give it more than a microsecond of thought as to what the subject was. Chirst almighty talk about jumping down my throat.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ie-indie/message/1540

Interesting you just focus on the subject which took two seconds to type rather than the rest of the shit I thought about all morning. Are you just looking to cause trouble, get a rise out of me or have a fight? Why did you choose to pick the subject as a discussion point rather than the text? I dont actually expect any sort of an apology (not that I ever would), seeing as how you dont even bother to reply to the personal mails I sent you discussing other stuff. Fuck you.

Fuck this board. See you on ie-indie.

no regards

I agree. You were a bit rough with the Path there, Haggis.

path (07 Dec, 2001 01:58 p.m.):

Oh for fucks sake. The bitches of thumped come out again. Stop jumping to fucking instant conclusions. I just meant the subject as a 'MY best album of 2001' actually. How could I possibly NOT let people join in with their own stuff? With my super magic teleknesis powers preventing people from clicking their mouse on the 'Post' button? I was hoping other people would join in. Did you ever think about that? Did you? Are you going to reply to this?

Incidentally if you go to ie-indie you will see I've posted (at the exact same time) the subject as just 'best album of 2001', at not one point was I ever being in some way elitist or whatever the fuck it is you are getting at hag. I didnt even give it more than a microsecond of thought as to what the subject was. Chirst almighty talk about jumping down my throat.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ie-indie/message/1540

Interesting you just focus on the subject which took two seconds to type rather than the rest of the shit I thought about all morning. Are you just looking to cause trouble, get a rise out of me or have a fight? Why did you choose to pick the subject as a discussion point rather than the text? I dont actually expect any sort of an apology (not that I ever would), seeing as how you dont even bother to reply to the personal mails I sent you discussing other stuff. Fuck you.

Fuck this board. See you on ie-indie.

no regards

i thought it said 'pete bests album of 2001"
then i thought wouldn't it have been a gas if pete best had killed george harrison? then i thought what if george best killed pete harrison? or keith chegwin.
i wonder was besty invited to the funeral. betchya it was in la and he couldn't afford to go. ha ha ha.

wasn't it just a joke though?
i dunno, i lost my sense of humour in a boating accident in 92....dont want to talk about it.....

but if it wasnt a joke, you're a right prick hag.

yeah.

jeez path what an over reaction. You should know by now not to take anything Hag says seriously!

Keep 'em coming. I love and hate best o' years.
Love reading them and seeing people agreeing with me (or reminding me of stuff) and I hate the way i feel such a mainstream muppet when reading obsure ones. God I might as well say Now 45 was my fave album and be done with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back