Overstepping boundaries? (5 Viewers)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
A brief, okay maybe not brief, synopsis. I moved into a new apartment with some girl off daft last month. When I first looked at the place it was all clean and quiet. She seemed nice enough and said she liked music and going out to shows. I had a quick look at the place but I tend to make metal notes of untidiness and such. So I move in and the place is a wreck, not like I had remembered.

Papers and notebooks all over the place because she is studying for her accountancy exams. She also studies all day and night in the living room / kitchen so I have been banished to my bedroom.

She had a full computer set up on the kitchen table so no one could use it for its intended purpose.

The shower was broke for over a week and no hot water.

I was also told after being there 3 weeks that now I needed to sign a year lease (never mentioned before) and rent went up 70 Euro staring the next week,

There was a fire in the basement and the place still slightly smells of smoke.

The restaurant below and to the side of my bedroom turns into a nightclub at the weekend (she neglected to tell me that )

Sadly, I could go on and on with this list…but I stayed and signed the lease. Mostly because I’m too fucking nice and I had no time. So she just finished her exams and went on holiday to celebrate. I have the place to myself for 10 days and I have been cleaning.

I rearranged the living room furniture so if two people wanted to watch TV, they could. Before it was set up in such a way that it would be impossible unless one sat at the kitchen table.

I broke down all the big boxes around the place and put them behind a shelf.

I collected all her books and neatly stacked then on the shelf. I did not throw anything away, just neatly stacked. The shelf is in an alcove so I put up a curtain to block off the mess. I am talking about boxes and nearly 30 huge 3 ring binders and other crap.

Got a desk to put her computer on and made her an office area near the alcove.

Cleaned the kitchen table, put placemats, flowers and a fruit bowl on it.

Cleaned the entire kitchen and rearranged the cabinets. She never bothered to put her food in them thus leaving no space on the counters to prepare anything. Also put all the dishes in one and food in the other. Before glasses were down by the stove and plates were above the sink. It made no sense.

Scrubbed the cooker top, toaster, and kettle so they are white again. Actually, I broke the kettle while cleaning it, so I bought a new one.

Vacuumed the place 4 times. I think it needs one more go.

Washed the walls to get all the marks off.

Cleaned the bathroom and bought a shower curtain and floor mats.

Rearranged the hall closet so we can store and get things out of it without the whole thing coming tumbling down.

In short, it looks completely different but 100 times better. Should I have asked first? She has lived there two years; did I go too far? I seriously would start to hyper ventilate when I had to go to kitchen. I was sitting in the living room last night still coming up with cleaning tasks that need to be done before she gets back. Washing the windows is next on my list.

::clef::da dada da daaah
dah da daah da da daaah daaaaaah::clef::

oddcouple_cast_125.jpg

Someone did that in my flat once, I wasn''t impressed. But that's more because the cleaner was being condescending and treating me like an idiot than because she rearranged everything (though that did annoy me too a little)

When she comes home, tell her everything you did and play the sympathy and logic cards. Listen to any input she might have about stuff.

And DON'T keep on cleaning constantly. Just one big clean is enough.

does she have any cool stuff in her room?
I have never looked. The one time the door was open I saw a bunch of clothes on the floor and that was it. I think there was a bed. I just fear she will come back and instead of saying thank you and being really happy she will think I went all Patrick Bergin on her. Yes, all the labels are turned to the front and towels are aligned. I really should live by myself. But you should have seen the toaster! I am surprised it never caught fire there were so many crumbs in it.

So you moved in to someone else's flat they'd been living in for three years and rearranged it to look how you want? This happened in a gaff i lived in once and there was war, we came back from the pub and the new flatmate had totally rearranged the whole place to how they felt it should look. They left shortly thereafter.

I mean tidying up is cool and all, but it sounds like you refurbished the place.

I would have talked to her about it first. I woulda freaked if some moved all my stuff but at the end of the day 'Papers and notebooks all over the place because she is studying for her accountancy exams. She also studies all day and night in the living room / kitchen so I have been banished to my bedroom.' - Is not on at all.

Defianlly talk it out before signing a lease.

I would have talked to her about it first. I woulda freaked if some moved all my stuff but at the end of the day 'Papers and notebooks all over the place because she is studying for her accountancy exams. She also studies all day and night in the living room / kitchen so I have been banished to my bedroom.' - Is not on at all.

Defianlly talk it out before signing a lease.

I already signed it and she is done studying now. I was eating in my bedroom for weeks.

So you moved in to someone else's flat they'd been living in for three years and rearranged it to look how you want? This happened in a gaff i lived in once and there was war, we came back from the pub and the new flatmate had totally rearranged the whole place to how they felt it should look. They left shortly thereafter.

I mean tidying up is cool and all, but it sounds like you refurbished the place.

None of it is her stuff, it was all there to begin with. I figured since I had to sign a lease it's just as much my place now as hers. Having it set up so only she could watch TV, use the kitchen table and having all her food on the counters so I can't even cook...is a bit much. I cleaned, gave her a desk and moved a couch and maybe added a few things like place mats and plants. It is not like I hung artwork or painted the walls. I made it usable for 2 people instead of one.

her "you should have discussed these changes with me first"
you "you should have discussed the rent increase with me first"

you win

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back