...our survey said. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 55
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 0
How do you know that is everyone's reason to be there is trendy or bullshitty? - I presume you have felt this way at gigs before, so how have you come to that conclusion? The only way to do that would be to, as you said, go round and quiz everyone on their knowledge of the underground, which is in itself a ridiculous notion. So you have no way of knowing really what everyone's reason to be there is, one can only assume its because they might like the band. But dont go judging people en masse like that because you feel that you are really the only person there who has "pure and personal" reasons for attending the gig. Guess what? I dress like a sap and wax lyrical shite at gigs holding my cigarette like a fop whilst complaining about key signatures, and sometimes get on guest lists and generally am not impressed wirth the cost of booze in the city...if you stood beside me for a second at the gig youd probably put me into that exact category of folk you mention, but I have never gone to a gig for a "trendy or bulshitty" reason in my life. Next time, ask me and everyone else standing around you, you may be surprised to find they are there for all the same reasons you are...

Sorry Stephen, you got in there first...I was replying to Ronan in the message above

and yes, i do believe that music is somewhat devalued the more widespread it is. music to me is very precious, and not something i want to share with some scumbag down the road.
if your wife was sleeping all around town, would you love her as much?[/quote]

This has always bothered me, say you have an indie band, lets call them 'Pants' ok. So pants release a few e.p's and stuff and get a small following, all their fans think there music is senstive, inspired pretty, blah blah... Then Pants release an album that sells quite well quite a lot of people buy it and Pants move into the 'playing the olympia/ appearing on Jools Holland' sphere of indie music. Pants are now making a bit of money and have the recognition they've worked hard for (in fact singer Mark Pants can pay for his adopted puppys eye operation....). Then the hardcore there from the start fan of Pants start moaning about the people coming to the gigs, that the tickets are a few quid more expensive, blah blah blah. I mean I don't understand begrudging a band you love the sucsess and financial stabilty they've worked hard for. I mean if you really like the band surely you don't want them sentenced to a lifetime of backs of smelly vans, and dodgy record contracts?? It just does'nt make sense to me???

oh and wife sleepin around town metaphor....come on!!! a bit of perspective here!!

This beginning to sound like one of those tabloid quizzes ala "Are you Tall?" where the conclusion is that you're either the runt of a family of midgets or you keep bashing your head off the moon. There is a middle ground between corporate whoredom and pot noodles on a tricycle in between playing gigs to 4 disenfranchised teenagers in a coal bunker (no really!). Quite frankly I'd like if everybody who "bought" it "got" it be that 5 or 5 million as long as lobotomised disc jockies with voices that inspire murder don't play it all day every day. Over-familiarity is the most serious repercussion of success. Ultimately I want the moon on a fucking stick and I want it yesterday. I'd better leggit cos that was essentially a stream of conciousness with little regard to anything that was posted previously.....Bored in work? You betcha!

damien (11-01-2001 12:26 a.m.):
yes pat, you're right.
the spoons are now banned from the scene.

if you want to see a major label band in dublin that no one else is going to put on, then put the fucking cunts on yourself, instead of inspecting others to do it for you and hand the support to your band.

can of worms....opened
see i told you id be killed
look damien i really do appreciate the hard work you and stephen do ok and youre right i have never put on any gigs for international bands and thats because i wouldnt know how to begin and im not sure id want to undertake such a big project, however my point still stands im sure it would be of value to the independent scene if bigger name bands played with local independent bands, and i certainly dont agree that the more people that have access or listen to a certain bands music devalues the music somehow, thats like saying that steinbeck is a crap writer because hes read by millions! a bit silly really. ah well. so anyhow i think its unfortunate that my band have been banned from the dublin scene, for my little comments and i hope you can see your way to forgiving us.
anyone for a muddled reformation?

this has gone way beyond the sphere of the original question. all you muppets are gonig on about all these "what ifs" none of these things,like pants(??)making it big are relevent. what is relevent is that a big promoter wants to advertise on thumped. i say no! purely because they CAN get their own advertising spaces elsewhere. people like the kids can't afford big fuck off posters all over town and nobody's gonna give it to them for free, so why are we feeding into the hands of these corporate wankers? if they pay for advertising for the kids and other indie promoters pete can pay for advertising for them, regardless of who's supporting the main attraction. why don't some of you people out there try dealing with propper promoters and propper venues and then see if you want to give them hand outs?

ahem...
the question is not solely about huge major label bands, it was also "should gigs promoted by MCD etc. be listed on thumped".
cases in point:

Yo La Tengo, Olympia, April 11th
A Silver Mount Zion, Whelan's, January 17th

both promoted by MCD. Would we like to see these listed on thumped? I say yes but ONLY if the support is from local independant acts. Would anyone here really feel that these two bands and there ilk don't deserve a listing here? C'mon people, all this independant scene stuff is like comparing karting to Formula 1 - some people are bound to make it. Why? because they produce the goods - they deserve to make it. Some don't deserve to make it and some don't want to - fair enough. But don't begrudge bands that have done it the hard way like Yo La Tengo - they are fucking artists and in my opinion have produced two of the finest performances in the last two years here. Again though I would only like to see them listed if the support acts were local independant acts.

I may be wrong, but is the forum not the most visited page on Thumped? Therefore, in the opinion of many on this board simply making posts regarding imminent gigs promoted by non-independents is tantamount to lining the pockets of the corporate fatcats. My point being, when does information become advertising? Please advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back