Opera (1 Viewer)

Denny Oubidoux

Hangin round town
Supporter
Solutions
does anyone like opera? i went to see Tosca in the cinema years ago and it was awful, full of shrill overwrought squealing and bellowing, stupid lyrics that would be better off if they were simply spoken. is there any good opera?

toscaAB.jpg

There's a "live from the met" thing that's on lyric FM on saturday evenings that I regularly listen too. It's a bizarre mix of massive luvvieness and attempts to make it accessable for non opera-buffs. It's good stuff most of the time.

Most Opera is fucking shite. Sopranos should be banned from singing altogether.
Armide by Lully is pretty good though. Monteverdi's Orfeo (the first opera) is tolerable too, Charon is deadly.
Basically - Sopranos = Death
Bass = Cool
as a general rule.

I have a third cousin who apparently was a mezzo-soprano of some repute in her day, a member of the Scala company and all. Has loads of great stories about hanging out with John Cage and Stockhausen. Lives in Warrenpoint now.

I went to see some opera in the gaiety earlier in the year. Romeo and Julliet. The sets were impressive, but I really didn't enjoy the singing at all. The high notes were impressive, but musically it was incredibly dull to my ears.

Rock Opera is best

or
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I went to see some opera in the gaiety earlier in the year. Romeo and Julliet. The sets were impressive, but I really didn't enjoy the singing at all. The high notes were impressive, but musically it was incredibly dull to my ears.

i used to feel much the same way about metal in general but now, after putting some time and effort into it, there are a few metal albums that i enjoy. i reckon i just dont get opera but that there must be something going on there waiting for me to discover what it is.

Never ever EVER listen to any Gilbert and Sullivan or any light opera. It is the most disgusting music. I really like this:

Gilbert and Sullivan fucking RULE!

but i find opera in general to be arse.Although I've never been to one,I hear the mark of a great singer is being able to fill the whole auditorium with sound sans mic.

That would at least be interesting.

I agree with Shneaky. Gilbert & Sullivan = class:

When a felon's not engaged in his employment (his employment)
Or maturing his felonious little plans (little plans)
His capacity for innocent enjoyment (cent enjoyment)
Is just as great as any honest man's (honest man's)

Made a bit of an effort with real opera a few times - went to a few dress rehearsals at the opera festival in Wexford etc, but never found it interesting. Classical singing is grotesque

I have a Two Ronnies do G&S lp.Imma listen to it now.

When a felon's not engaged in his employment (his employment)
Or maturing his felonious little plans (little plans)
His capacity for innocent enjoyment (cent enjoyment)
Is just as great as any honest man's (honest man's)

this is the kind of thing that gives me the horrors.

My missus is well into opera so i've been to a fair few shows. Most of them are enjoyable enough although i went to see Roméo et Juliette in the Gaiety a few months back and it was very shite. Tchaikovsky's Mazeppa is probably the best thing i've seen and Puccini and Verdi operas are good. I'd love to see Nixon in China or something a bit more contemporary but they don't seem to put them on in Dublin.

can't really fault this:

tho it looks like she might be miming...

re contemporary opera, saw a production of this recently which was totally class:

eerie whispery stuff for an hour which builds up and eventually explodes

i'm not really into opera but it has to be heard live. hearing a voice fill up a whole auditorium is impressive, along with the elaborate sets etc. was cinema before there was cinema, total immersion of the senses.

does anyone like opera? i went to see Tosca in the cinema years ago and it was awful, full of shrill overwrought squealing and bellowing, stupid lyrics that would be better off if they were simply spoken. is there any good opera?

I would imagine that seeing it live is a different kettle drum of fish.

Studied opera appreciation for a couple of years when I was a kid. Would fly up to San Francisco for the weekend and get standing room tickets. Been to the Met, Dorthy Chandler Pav. Seen them all.
It's been a lifelong dream to go to Bayreuth to see Tannhauser.
Wagner is the heavy metal of opera. Massive orchestra.
Many singers were never able to sing again after performing his operas.

I can't handle the singing-while-talking elements of opera, but this is one of my all time favourite pieces of music, regardless of genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back