nurses and midwives work to rule. what do you think? (2 Viewers)

rampz

for nurses at the front line like myself its a damn inconvenience i tell you, not being able to make phone calls or anything. i know its in a good cause and all that and we do deserve more money for the shit we have to do but i hope we dont end up going out on strike. i have sick people to look after!

SCAB!!

ah, no im only messing. im totally uninformed about this issue

i actually am a scab. i made 2 phone calls today. someone told me the union will be checking our work mobile phone bills. im in trouble.

for nurses at the front line like myself its a damn inconvenience i tell you, not being able to make phone calls or anything. i know its in a good cause and all that and we do deserve more money for the shit we have to do but i hope we dont end up going out on strike. i have sick people to look after!
well why dont you get a proper job like a man?
become a brickie or somethin. GRRRR.

no, really, fair fucks but i can imagine itll be an awful pain in the swiss for yiz but it will be for the greater good...... (ppfffttt, 'the greater good', i feel like im in a cult)

It's a tough situation for you guys, nurses definitely deserve to be treated far better than they are, but the threat of strike...do the sick people really deserve to suffer? :confused: Moral of the story - don't vote for a government that lets the PDs in charge of the health service...

Its only a work to rule for non-nursing duties, so the sick shouldn't suffer.... Right?

Its only a work to rule for non-nursing duties, so the sick shouldn't suffer.... Right?

yeah but working in the community etc i rely on being able to make phone calls to people to check up on them etc. i have a lot less peace of mind when i cant do that, im not so much bothered about the other stuff. but being able to make and receive phone calls is a necessity for me. this is just my experience, id be interested to know if anybody has been affected by this in any way.

It's a hard job to take industrial action in, but I think it needs to be done if workers are being treated unfairly.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is have to listen to them vox pops all day on the radio with people spouting the usual shite about how all nurses are angels etc. No-one ever has a bad word to say about them. Doctors? All rich bastards. Teachers? Complete bastards with half the year off. But nurses, oh no, they're saints.

It's a hard job to take industrial action in, but I think it needs to be done if workers are being treated unfairly.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is have to listen to them vox pops all day on the radio with people spouting the usual shite about how all nurses are angels etc. No-one ever has a bad word to say about them. Doctors? All rich bastards. Teachers? Complete bastards with half the year off. But nurses, oh no, they're saints.

we are saints though.

The point is, sick people suffer when the nurses work to rule, but sick *and* well people suffer when nurses are working long hours for shit pay and doing jobs that they aren't meant to be doing.

If consultants can work only Monday to Friday for amazing money, and no one bats an eyelash when they refuse to do admin work or phone calls or other shit that isn't in their job description just because it needs to be done, then that's even more fucked up.

Nurses do far more than they're supposed to, and anyone who calls them greedy is just a fucking dick.

The shocking thing is -- and I'm only bringing this in because it's very relevant -- under the new work permit legislation, the only people allowed to qualify for a work permit for a job paying less than 30K a year are nurses. Why is that? Because the government is damn well committed to NEVER paying nurses properly. So committed that they enshrined it in their shiny new work legislation two months ago. It's going to take, not just nurses going on work to rule or (god forbid) strike, but other people in society to start demanding it on nurses' behalf so that nurses can go back to treating sick people like they are committed to doing.

I'm sorry to hear it's so hard to stick to the work to rule, rampz, and I'm sure it's hard for a lot of people, but that just shows that you're committed to doing a good job at what you do. I also hope that nurses don't strike, but more than that, I hope people finally fucking cop on about how important nurses are, and that they aren't just a bunch of little girls changing bedpans. And even if they WERE just changing bedpans, that'd still be an indispensable job.

How can people work to their full capabilities when they're picking up the slack for the health service, doing jobs that should have been filled for those specific tasks?

Mary Harney was on today, going on and on and refusing to respond clearly to a question about using private hospitals to cover the shortfall, but sure, when is she going to need a public hospital?

Ugh. Hospitals are understaffed, and they blame nurses? FUCK THAT SHIT.

Okay, rant over. For now.

This is the thing. Nurses are so indispensable to society, of such fundamental importance, that it's damaging when they take industrial action. Rather than sitting up and saying, "Holy shit, we'd better appreciate these people because we can't live -- literally -- without them," they just get accused of shirking their responsibilities.

anyone who says were shirlking our responsibilities can go and fuck themselves.

Exactly. I hope none of your patients are too affected by this. You obviously really care about them, and about doing your job as best you can. It must be really difficult to be a nurse right now.

the only thing thats directly affecting patient care from my point of view is the phone call thing. its not the end of the world but it is an inconvenience, i just hope it doesnt escalate too much.

i think nurses should be the best paid people in the flippin country...my dad was admitted a few weeks ago and i can honestly say i never realised how hard they worked until those two weeks..we'd go in to visit first thing in the morning and when we were leaving at that night the same nurses would still be there looking after him. they did everything they could to make my dad more comfortable and to help me,cpr and our mum understand everything that was happening and why. If they have to work-to-rule to get what they want and show how much extra work they do that they aren't obliged to and that goes completely unrecognised then so be it.

Its a fucking disgrace that nurses arent paid more for the work they do, administration (including politicians) are paid well over the odds of their work. Nurses are only asking for a fair wage and hours.

Plus my mams a nurse and I want more pocket money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back