Noise Music (1 Viewer)

chutneyfarmer

I just started listening to a few "noise" bands/artists such as Wolf Eyes and Black Dice. Does anyone else know much about this kinda stuff?? Could yiz recommend any other similar bands worth checking out???

Thanks

Theres this crowd who have some Terrestial Tones(Black Dice/Animal Collective side project), 2673/Unicorm(bastard noise project), Orthrelm and Boris records in their distro - you might want to check em out.They post here the odd time.

If youre into a bit of industrial theres always a bit of the oul throbbing gristle...dont know if it really stands the test of time, but its worth checking out.
Dalek are a class act of course.

Noise music. Lets see...

From Japan, and affore-mentioned, Merzbow. Alas, Mr. Akita releases so much... another month another album... Start with: "Dharma". This is possibly is finest "all-out" noise work, but it is very structured and controlled. The first track- "I'm coming to the garden, no sound, no memory"- is Merzbow at his very best. His first digital album. "1930" is also a good one, much looser sounding and relaxed in a strange way. If you want Merzbow at his most violent, abrasive and heavy, the charmingly-titled "Venereology" is the album for that.

From the USA, Boyd Rice's "NON" project is the way to go in loop based and highly hypnotic noise music. I would suggest that all stuff under his own name, and the album "Might!" be avoided, as it tends to feature alot of spoken-work drivel in his monotone voice on fairly pitiful topics such as social-darwinism and comedic neo-fascism. But dont let that put you off his serious noise work. Get "Easy Listning For Iron Youth", a collection of his best pieces from the 70s and 80s, which is at some times relaxing and other times wonderfully intense. Also, "Recieve the Flame" is possibly the best all round NON album proper, and quite a beautiful piece of noise.

From Britian, you're gonna be looking at mostly the original and post-"industrial" scene. Throbbing Gristle, for the most part, sound fairly accessible electro music these days, but that cant be said for their first album, "Second Annual Report" which still unsettles, jars and intoxicates today, a collection of lo-fi and highly dissounant recordings, that arguable hasn't been bettered. Whitehouse present laughable live-shows these days, but their records often live up to their original intention of creating the most brutal, savage and extreme music of all time. Their back-catalouge suffers from alot of albums which sound identical, and there early work especially is a little thin sounding. But their recent track, "Wriggle Like A Fucking Eel", is the best thing they have ever done. For extremely trippy, abrasive and challenging music with all kinds of organic and electronic sounds, check out "The Visitors" by Cyclobe. One of the best albums ever made, in my opinion.

Not so much Noise Music, more drone... get "Soliloquy For Lilith" by Nurse With Wound and "Time Machines" by Coil. Dont expect vocals, a melody, rhythm or songs... instead you will get huge undulating mind-altering wall and chasms of sound.

I've been listening to Beaches and Canyons from Black Dice today. That's pretty sweet, but don't know if I'd call it noise.
The Merzbow stuff I've heard is pretty intense. I think it's a bit of a jump from Wolf Eyes and Black Dice.

Gong Farmer said:
The Merzbow stuff I've heard is pretty intense. I think it's a bit of a jump from Wolf Eyes and Black Dice.
Merzbow takes a little time to get used to, but persist and you may be rewarded with an enveloping bath of noise

Wow, thanks for the response. I have a few Merzbow albums already. Pretty intense stuff but it does become almost ambient after a while. I'm kinda more interested in the way Wolf Eyes, Hafler Trio, and Black Dice are going. Not noise but, i dunno what to call it :) is there anyone in that kind of area yiz could recommend? Tower had some gorgeous ltd Hafler Trio Cds in a few months ago. Shoud really have picked them up when i had the chance :(

chutneyfarmer said:
Wow, thanks for the response. I have a few Merzbow albums already. Pretty intense stuff but it does become almost ambient after a while. I'm kinda more interested in the way Wolf Eyes, Hafler Trio, and Black Dice are going. Not noise but, i dunno what to call it :) is there anyone in that kind of area yiz could recommend? Tower had some gorgeous ltd Hafler Trio Cds in a few months ago. Shoud really have picked them up when i had the chance :(
Wow, i didnt realize Tower got h3o in. The Hafler Trio is pretentious, lavish and fucking fantastic music (at times). The CDs have stunning packaging, again, h3o is one of those who has over 30 albums... like Merzbow, almost a release per month. "Masturbatorium" (composed entirely out of the sounds of female masturbation and orgasm) is brilliant, as is much of their stuff: "A small child dreams of vioding the plague", "kisses with both hands from gods little toy", "fuck" are all great.

i can only urge you to check out Nurse With Wound and Coil, if you havent already done so. much more in this vein than the pure obliteration of Merzbow, Massonna, KK Null, New Blockaders... who all go for an ambient yet abrasive wall of noise that never really goes anywhere...

-Drunken Brian

Giveamanakick said:
Destructo Swarmbots
his cork gig with dalek was cool. two of my mates had to move to the back of the room during his set! don't think i've heard anything about him since that gig.

there was a cool piece in the wire a few months ago on noise.

you should check out throbbing gristle because they started the whole thing.

then more recently i would say check out hair police and double leopards

Ciaran Mackle said:
there was a cool piece in the wire a few months ago on noise.

you should check out throbbing gristle because they started the whole thing.

then more recently i would say check out hair police and double leopards
yeah,definetly check double leopards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back