NIGHTSHIFT axed. (1 Viewer)

the departed

whatever you have to say about the quality of the show, it was the only place showing irish videos and they were very accommodating in doing so. and, irish videos aside, they were the only dedicated music video show.

its a real shame. i really enjoyed being able to sit down and watch videos(i dont have the mtv2s or that lark).
maybe not as big a loss as no disco, but as a filmmaker myself, its just fucking hopeless.

fuck you irish broadcasting.
fuck you.

It is with great regret and a pain in my heart that I break the news today that as and from the 31st December 2008, Nightshift is to be taken off air.

Channel 6 was bought over by TV3 a few months ago and the new owners have made the decision to remove Nightshift from next year's schedule.

This means of course that from today I will no longer be taking music videos, interviews, competitions, etc.

The very last show will air from 10pm – 1am on New Years Eve.

I would like to thank you all personally for making the last working 14 months a real treat. It has been a pleasure dealing with all you guys.

On a personal level, may I say that Michelle and I are completely bewildered, and absolutely gutted by this decision. We both care passionately about the show and are finding this very hard to swallow. This year alone we made over 400 shows together and loved every minute of it. We are so sad the show will be no more.

Boo! That sucks. Channel 6 were a bit of a naive set up when they began broadcasting, but thanks to the TV3/Granada takeover they'll now be as soul less and clinical as their counterparts. Can't wait to see the late night quiz show they replace it with.

That sucks! It was the only outlet for Irish bands and filmmakers/animators. Fuck you TV3! What a dreadful channel that is. They're just gonna replace Nightshift with re-runs of soaps or something equally retarded. This country's broadcasters attitude towards youth culture/music is downright destructive!

I hope they replace it with this:

nightcourt.jpg

So approximately nobody will broadcast Irish vids anymore, yayy...

Knock-on effects meaning that even apart from the obvious blow of bands not having an outlet for their videos on traditional media anymore, they'll just not bother to make any now or most will be on-a-shoestring jobs. Why would you pay €1000+ to do it proper so it can just be a video box on your myspace page?

Bands can still be heard even if they're not seen as easily, so the real losers are the film-makers that will no longer have the unsigned Irish market as a great attempt at visibility...:mad:

Unless TV3 bring back that music show with Darragh Purcell (was that his name?), but somehow I see Family Affairs re-runs and JML infomercials in Nightshift's former slot...

what kinda interest would there be in a monthly web music show along the lines of no disco? i was thinking of this a while ago but was too busy with college..

itd be something id be interested in looking into.

im not sure itd work with copyright and whatnot but it could be like a video podcast.
could have segments like:
bands pick their favourite videos etc,
live performances(maybe some in strange places like the hollows thing),
tours of rehearsal spaces(cribs meets that irish blog thing),
gig announcements,

etc etc. something simple.

there sort of are a couple of these already

there's the muzu one

this: http://www.yourmusiclive.tv/

not saying you shouldn't do it though

what kinda interest would there be in a monthly web music show along the lines of no disco? i was thinking of this a while ago but was too busy with college..

itd be something id be interested in looking into.

im not sure itd work with copyright and whatnot but it could be like a video podcast.
could have segments like:
bands pick their favourite videos etc,
live performances(maybe some in strange places like the hollows thing),
tours of rehearsal spaces(cribs meets that irish blog thing),
gig announcements,

etc etc. something simple.

Am I being naive, or could RTE do something like this for (relatively) cheap as chips with limited resources? Surely something like this should come into their remit of state broadcasting / culture promotion etc.?

yeah theres a few. but I'm not talking about doing balcony t.v here.
and the muzu thing is cool but it's not really a 'program for us by us' type thing.
ah I dunno, just a thought.

Am I being naive, or could RTE do something like this for (relatively) cheap as chips with limited resources? Surely something like this should come into their remit of state broadcasting / culture promotion etc.?
you'd think that wouldn't you? unless some people die, quit or take a lot of drugs, it aint happenin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back