night terrors (1 Viewer)

hag said:
oh my god, that story about the deaf people is terrifying. i guess we should just celebrate their love but... i'm sorry, i just can't. (just kidding) it would be deadly craic egging them on actually, they'd never know, you could scream commentary into the wall and they'd never know!!! :p
out of respect for their plight i gave a running commentary in sign language and hand puppetry on the other side of the wall using the limited signing i'd learned from watching news for the deaf. the female deaf person "appeared in court" (didnt know sign for orgasm) at least 3 times! she eventually had to be rescued by a tyranasorus.

hag said:
are you sure he wasn't just riding someone really ugly? or someone who was using chicken fillets to enhance their boobs and he only founf out when he gots them home? and he never learned his lesson? and he kept on picking up the same girl, over and over, because he was so drunk?
If that was the case he must have fallen asleep and started it all again every 20 mins. "oh baby jesus will this cycle of trauma and deception never end" (in langer accent). It's a possibility.

Wavioli said:
Ive never had these before, but a good few people have told me about them, which got me really curious, because they all were saying the same thing, that they completely couldnt move, and that it felt like there was something on their chest, throttling them.

But by far the freakiest thing about these night terror yokes, is the fact that everyone reports seeing the same things when they have them: A large shadowy figure, and an old lady. Thats just creepy.
Again, I think this is a different thing to night terrors.
The first thing you said, I reckon, is sleep paralysis (me, me Ma and me Grandad r.i.p. all experience this), and the seeing a shadowy figure thing.... first I've ever heard of it but it sounds pretty fuckin freaky.
Night terrors is shouting and screaming and generally acting terrified in your sleep, but not remembering it unless someone wakes you up (I'm absolutely open to correction here).

aoifed said:
Again, I think this is a different thing to night terrors.
The first thing you said, I reckon, is sleep paralysis (me, me Ma and me Grandad r.i.p. all experience this), and the seeing a shadowy figure thing.... first I've ever heard of it but it sounds pretty fuckin freaky.
Night terrors is shouting and screaming and generally acting terrified in your sleep, but not remembering it unless someone wakes you up (I'm absolutely open to correction here).
Hmmm, sounds like a bit of Nit-pickery to me :)

Yeah technically you're right, but I think sleep paralysis, and (techical wording here) 'the crazies' are both generally lumped together as night terrors, as they are both terrifying things that happen at night! :)

Seriously tho, really freaky they took that crazy guy that smashed everything in his sleep and strapped him into a bed in a hospital and filmed him all night, and at one stage you see him open his eyes, and he's just there staring at something with this crazy look of absolute fear :eek: ooh its givin me shivers thinkin about it....

Wavioli said:
Ive never had these before, but a good few people have told me about them, which got me really curious, because they all were saying the same thing, that they completely couldnt move, and that it felt like there was something on their chest, throttling them.

I saw this program on channel 4 about it too, which was really freaky, they had footage of people who constantly had night terrors. There was this poor woman married to this guy that had really violent night terrors, and she had to barricade herself in her room. There was these massive holes in the walls everywhere from this guy, cos he'd just wake up in the middle of the night (and they showed this, freaky stuff) with this crazed look on his face and start running around the house screaming and attacking anything he came in contact with, he even thew himself out a window one time!

But by far the freakiest thing about these night terror yokes, is the fact that everyone reports seeing the same things when they have them: A large shadowy figure, and an old lady. Thats just creepy.
yo mentioned this before but>
night terrors are a possible explanation for the whole alien abduction phenomenon.
reasons behind this are kinda strange..
aliens are the modern day embodiment of the unknown or id
in say the 19th and early 20th century people had stronger beliefs in the supernatural so their explanation for night terrors became a type of ghost called incubus (for the ladies) and sucubus (for the laddies)
because people dont believe in the supernatural as much anymore, when they wake up and experience the whole 'i dont have any control of their body' their subconconcious fear, mixed with the brain still being in a dream state creates little grey aliens

This is the third time this topic has come up... which shows you just how common it is.

Night Terrors are pretty fucked up.... I don't get them, but I do get...

...sleep paralysis, which happens when the part of your brain that keeps your body imobilised (so you don't hurt yourself while you're asleep) takes a little longer to shut down so you get this feeling that you're paralysed for a few seconds... it feels like you're not breathing but you are (its just the same way you involuntarily breathe most of the time). Sometimes you feel a presence there... apparently this explains a lot of alien abduction shenanigans.

I used to think it was connected to drug intake but then I noticed that I got the same sensation if I stayed up all night working on something whilst completely sober. I think the drug link is coincidental because it generally involves lack of proper sleep.

As you can probably tell, I get this alot.

Jimmy Magee (thumped version) is also an expert on this phenomenon and claims to enjoy it.

out of respect for their plight i gave a running commentary in sign language and hand puppetry on the other side of the wall using the limited signing i'd learned from watching news for the deaf. the female deaf person "appeared in court" (didnt know sign for orgasm) at least 3 times! she eventually had to be rescued by a tyranasorus.
:D :D :D

i get the paralysis ones and sometimes it does involve "seeing" someone in the room
ive never ever got that when i amn't sleeping in my room tho'
*cue ghost noises*

i saw that program on night terrors
im not sure if they were picking the worst cases but them guys and gals who had that were the fear , they were gettin all uppidy but they were still asleep
one of the women was gettin mad frantic screamin and all but then when shes woken she changes completely , then there was a bloke who was batterin his wife in his sleep
(although i think he might have been pretending :D )
i think theres a difference between what would be termed a night terror and waking up a bit freaked from a bad dream and not 'membering the dream/'mare

that was a great program , there was this mad oul' wan that would eat like a wild boar at night, in her sleep , but claim not to remember in the morning , she was dieting at the time
it was a real shout at the telly moment "when you diet you're not supposed to starve yourself! , do some fucking excercise and stop eating fatty rubbish"
anyway they filmed her doin it (no fnarr fnarrs) and when she watched the results it was hilarious

hag said:
i doob regularly but when i don't have access to it, i go through around a week of the terrors which is followed by those rainbow-coloured crazy ones... it's like the doob blocks them or something and when you give up for a while, the flood gates open...

This is true. same think happens with alcholics. you don't really fall asleep at night, more just 'pass out' so you don't really dream in any proper way. Used to happen to me too, and folk I know, especially if it's a a heavy smokin' season.

One theroy suggests that this why alcholhoics (and if we accept the theroy for smokers, then smokers too) can get depressed. Because they don't dream, which is the brains way of sorting out all the gunk in your subconcious, and making sense of your day. And over time, denying your brain bone this function, can (so the theroy goes) cause depression.

The flipside being when you do quit for a while, all the gunk comes rushing back and your brain is all catching up with itself... and I guess in a way you are caught off gaurd a bit, so dreams seem more vivid and nuts.

I went through years thinking I plain old did not dream. Then I cut back the doobie and realised I did. If your not used to it dreaming is really really fucked up. !ninjaaaa

i fell asleep on the bus home yesterday and started dreaming.i can't remember the dream at all tho.it was weird because i never usually dream that quickly after falling asleep.anyway i'm not sure but i think i blurted out something like "whoa" either in my dream or on the bus. i had a look at a few people to see if they were laughing but they weren't giving anything away, very embarrasing :eek:
anyway my question is :do we dream just as we go to sleep,when we are in a deep sleep or do we dream just before we wake up?

I used to get night terrors whan i was a wee boy... Went to the kiddie shrink and all...
real scary stuff... You are awake and still having your nightmare... jaysus what my parents had to put up with... I just grew out of it...
Had a night terror once as an adult... about 3 years ago... shook me up for a few days...
nuttin to do with doobie mind you, nor boose

mitochondrian said:
i fell asleep on the bus home yesterday and started dreaming.i can't remember the dream at all tho.it was weird because i never usually dream that quickly after falling asleep.anyway i'm not sure but i think i blurted out something like "whoa" either in my dream or on the bus. i had a look at a few people to see if they were laughing but they weren't giving anything away, very embarrasing :eek:
anyway my question is :do we dream just as we go to sleep,when we are in a deep sleep or do we dream just before we wake up?
HAHA I did this before while on my way from Letterkenny to Belfast, I was asleep on the bus in Derry (I had just fallen asleep) and some guy had gotten on and sat beside me, while i was out. I guess about 5 minutes later I did that jerky falling into bed thing, and blurted out, and it scared the shit out of him! :D I just woke up to this guy going, jesus fucking christ! had to laugh!

Ian said:
I used to get night terrors whan i was a wee boy... Went to the kiddie shrink and all...
real scary stuff... You are awake and still having your nightmare...
It's a wierd one alright, i went through about 2 weeks of rather sophiticated nightmares for a 7 year old, half while awake. makes you wonder what makes a child go nuts?

this is all very interesting. But here's an observation... when people are recounting their dreams I think their voice takes on a special tone that makes it totally uninteresting to the listener.

'I used to get night terrors whan i was a wee boy... Went to the kiddie shrink and all...
real scary stuff... '

Poor baby. That's awful! :(

Anthony said:
this is all very interesting. But here's an observation... when people are recounting their dreams I think their voice takes on a special tone that makes it totally uninteresting to the listener.
Oh no no no threads about dreams are ggGREAT. Everyone really wants to hear about other peoples dreams, no inanity at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back