New Venue in Dublin Drop Dead Twice Taproom (1 Viewer)

Primitive

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section of the Forum?

I’ll be taking over the bookings for Dublin’s newest venue, Drop Dead Twice Taproom on Francis Street Dublin. Venue capacity is 150. We can also offer a standard backline which is always a bonus, Drumkit/2 Guitar Amps/1 Bass plus Vinyl/CD decks.
Rental rates are very reasonable & venue is available from 7pm till 1am for gigs or club nights, Live music curfew is 12:15am. I have a few weekend nights (Friday/Saturday) available at the moment for November & December onwards. if you’re looking to book a show, run a gig or club night then fire me a mail at [email protected] & I’d be more then happy to discuss further. Cheers for your time folks.

Drop Dead Twice - The Taproom

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section of the Forum?

I’ll be taking over the bookings for Dublin’s newest venue, Drop Dead Twice Taproom on Francis Street Dublin. Venue capacity is 150. We can also offer a standard backline which is always a bonus, Drumkit/2 Guitar Amps/1 Bass plus Vinyl/CD decks.
Rental rates are very reasonable & venue is available from 7pm till 1am for gigs or club nights, Live music curfew is 12:15am. I have a few weekend nights (Friday/Saturday) available at the moment for November & December onwards. if you’re looking to book a show, run a gig or club night then fire me a mail at [email protected] & I’d be more then happy to discuss further. Cheers for your time folks.

Drop Dead Twice - The Taproom

I'll bring my band to dublin and play for 45 mins for 400 euro up front, or 800 if it's the full 6 piece.

I'll bring my band to dublin and play for 45 mins for 400 euro up front, or 800 if it's the full 6 piece.

Don't shoot the messenger Ann

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just thinking about the economics of this ... say for example

- the average band wants 400-odd quid to play for an hour
- booze sold in the venue covers the cost of bar staff and the venue itself
- promoter's wage is 500-odd quid a week (400-ish minimum wage, plus ~100 to cover equipment expenses)
- venue is open 5 nights a week, with live music for 2 or 3 hours

... that means to break even you need to take in the guts of a grand a night on the door. You're betting on there being 100 people in Dublin willing to pay a tenner (or 200 willing to pay a fiver) to go to a bar featuring bands they've probably never heard of, five nights a week. Not a very promising bet, or attractive payoff

Yeah fair enough- The only mention I see there if of rental, or what we call 'pay to play' in english.

My concerns when playing a show are how I'm asking between 3 and 5 working musicians to take a night of working to do a 4 - 8 hour round trip in a car for 45 mins show for a minimum of money and food and accommodation that I am fronting. This is basically why I don't really play shows anymore.

Sure people can have hobbies and shows or play golf or whatever it is they want to spend money on- the shows I do now are hobbies, but I don't want to be adding to the pile of people who are pricing musicians out of work any more than I have to.

I've been absolutely out of my league lucky with the caliber of people I've gotten to work with, but at some point, we probably need to treat people like people and not second tier labor who prop up the bar/security staff/booking staff etc.

I'll never work in this town again, obvs :p

Ann, I can understand your concerns about playing gigs. I've been a Independent promoter in Dublin on & off for the past 12 years & believe me when I say I don't do it for the love of money. Wrong game to be in if you want to make cash. When promoting a show my one concern is always that all bands get paid, may not always be a huge wedge of money but I do think it's important to pay everyone something to show you appreciate their time & effort. Certainly I've found over the past 2 years in Dublin it's harder & harder to get people through the door for a live music gig & even harder to recoup the costs of a show.
Unfortunately venues do have to cover the cost of soundman etc, hence the venue rental. Having said that, it's a cracking little venue that holds 150 folks & I think that sized venue is what's need in Dublin at the moment. Not to big, not to small & probably affordable for most bands that pull a decent enough crew.

Ann, I can understand your concerns about playing gigs. I've been a Independent promoter in Dublin on & off for the past 12 years & believe me when I say I don't do it for the love of money. Wrong game to be in if you want to make cash. When promoting a show my one concern is always that all bands get paid, may not always be a huge wedge of money but I do think it's important to pay everyone something to show you appreciate their time & effort. Certainly I've found over the past 2 years in Dublin it's harder & harder to get people through the door for a live music gig & even harder to recoup the costs of a show.
Unfortunately venues do have to cover the cost of soundman etc, hence the venue rental. Having said that, it's a cracking little venue that holds 150 folks & I think that sized venue is what's need in Dublin at the moment. Not to big, not to small & probably affordable for most bands that pull a decent enough crew.

To be fair,
THe one time we played there a few months ago, the pair of us were first on a bill of 3. And we only played for 20mins. It was packed and we both got €50 each which covered the cabs for gear transport. It’s not much but it was unexpected and appreciated

There’s no doubt that it sucks

Im aware that I seem to be coming across as a massive dick to even suggest that promoters consider musicians into their pre-decided pay structure as they do soundmen and bar staff, but saying this on thumped, 13+ years into thumped with all the amazing acts that have come and gone, its actually horribly sad to consider. Also complete tragic madness that people are all like 'shir its grand'.

Can you imagine propositioning this to a graphic designer. Here buddy, do some artwork for me. Sorry can't pay you, gotta pay the print house and the cd duplication and the spotify people and the tshirt printers.

You'd be fucking laughed at.

Im aware that I seem to be coming across as a massive dick to even suggest that promoters consider musicians into their pre-decided pay structure as they do soundmen and bar staff, but saying this on thumped, 13+ years into thumped with all the amazing acts that have come and gone, its actually horribly sad to consider. Also complete tragic madness that people are all like 'shir its grand'.

Can you imagine propositioning this to a graphic designer. Here buddy, do some artwork for me. Sorry can't pay you, gotta pay the print house and the cd duplication and the spotify people and the tshirt printers.

You'd be fucking laughed at.
giphy.gif

Only just clicked with me that this place (well, the non-taproom part) is where you bring your own booze and pay to drink it.

Drop Dead Twice - Home

YOU BRING IT
Bring a bottle of your favourite spirit. The size will depend on how long your session is - (2 hours = naggin / 200ml. 3 hours = shoulder / 350ml).

2 HOUR SITTING = €25pp / 3 HOUR SITTING = €30pp

I don't like cluttering up Luke's post with all the discussion on Dublin gigs, venues, and promoters in general, but there are some interesting points being raised.

New thread maybe?

Cheers for all the positive vibes from some folks on this tread. I understand Ann's situation but I also understand my situation as a promoter too. I'm sure some Independent promoters in Dublin are very successful but I know from my point of view I lose more money then I make. It's not that I run crap gigs or anything, actually I'm quiet proud of the bands & gigs I've run over the years & the people I've got to work with. It's heartbreaking at times especially when your handing over a couple of hundred euros from your own pocket, sometimes even more but when it works it's great. In my heart I'm here to promote the great music been made on our Island & personally I rate the bands in Ireland more then anything else out there at present.
Anyhow, the venue is there for anyone that decides they'd like to run a night or play they're own show.

Only just clicked with me that this place (well, the non-taproom part) is where you bring your own booze and pay to drink it.

It's a cocktail bar upstairs, you bring the booze & they make you cocktails. Works out a hell of alot cheaper then buying cocktails in a boozer for the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back