New Venue in Dublin Drop Dead Twice Taproom (1 Viewer)

Im aware that I seem to be coming across as a massive dick to even suggest that promoters consider musicians into their pre-decided pay structure as they do soundmen and bar staff

that line resonated with me, Eoghan. Wearing my 'other' hat as a gaa-boy, the same type of conversation is going on over there. Basically, loads of cash gets pumped into the sport and the only ones who don't see any of it are the ones actually providing the entertainment that's being sold. You have all sorts around teams; physios, masseuses, nutritionists, etc, all being paid a wedge. Players and management? Not a sniff of a euro (officially).

I have sympathy with both sides here, though maybe it's a discussion for another thread. It's always good to see the range of venue choices expanding.

The upside of the venue rental is that a band can book it and play, pay the rental and done. Instead of "will you give us a gig in your venue sir please?" The bands that cost the least or draw the biggest crowds will get all the nights.

As long as the price is realistic.

Firstly Luke's a great promoter and pays decent money for any of my bands he books.

This tread is offering people the chance to use this venue and put on their own gigs and make money by promoting said gig. I've no idea what Luke charges for bookings but lets say it's 100-150 or even 200 euro. You book a gig charge a tenner in and lets say you get 100 punters in the door that means you have at least 800 euro left to cover your band and promotion expenses. What's unfair about that?

You book a gig charge a tenner in and lets say you get 100 punters in the door that means you have at least 800 euro left to cover your band and promotion expenses. What's unfair about that?

the clear and obvious difference is potential income and guaranteed income. If you can name me one other role in a working night in a venue where the income the person is going to make is to be decided after the event, you'd be talking about the rare case. You've outlined a hypothetical gig and asked what is unfair about it? Well for starters, its hypothetical.

If a promoter cant guarantee the band a fee in advance I wont work with them, that has been my policy for years, with the occasional local charity show now and again.

All I did in this thread was clearly outline to a person offering promotion of a venue exactly what my policy was, and that seems to be being pushed towards taboo behavior and frowned upon. I find the response utterly depressing. It's 2017 and we are pricing people out of paying music. But gwan the lads as everyone keeps hinting.

the clear and obvious difference is potential income and guaranteed income. If you can name me one other role in a working night in a venue where the income the person is going to make is to be decided after the event, you'd be talking about the rare case. You've outlined a hypothetical gig and asked what is unfair about it? Well for starters, its hypothetical.

If a promoter cant guarantee the band a fee in advance I wont work with them, that has been my policy for years, with the occasional local charity show now and again.

All I did in this thread was clearly outline to a person offering promotion of a venue exactly what my policy was, and that seems to be being pushed towards taboo behavior and frowned upon. I find the response utterly depressing. It's 2017 and we are pricing people out of paying music. But gwan the lads as everyone keeps hinting.

I pointed out that he's the venue booker not promoter here so is offering the venue for hire which you can do and potentially make the money I outlined in my post if you promote your gig well. Or if you're a promoter you could book whatever bands you like and work out a fee etc etc and if you do a good job of getting people in the door everyone will get paid.

If he wanted to book you/your band as a promoter you would discuss your fee with him and he could work out whether booking your band was feasible. But that's a different scenario to what's being offered here. Then if he didn't get enough people in then he'd potentially lose money to cover the agreed fee. This would be decided after the event so there's your example of income decided after.

I pointed out that he's the venue booker not promoter here so is offering the venue for hire which you can do and potentially make the money I outlined in my post if you promote your gig well. Or if you're a promoter you could book whatever bands you like and work out a fee etc etc and if you do a good job of getting people in the door everyone will get paid.

If he wanted to book you/your band as a promoter you would discuss your fee with him and he could work out whether booking your band was feasible. But that's a different scenario to what's being offered here. Then if he didn't get enough people in then he'd potentially lose money to cover the agreed fee. This would be decided after the event so there's your example of income decided after.

This was basically too much facepalm to respond immediatley.

In all reality, how do you suppose a person living on disability benefit in donegal who had a musical thing going on would work realistically in this scenario? Try and stick to real life examples as I base my decisions on music on realities.

For starters living on disability leaves you about 50-70 eu per week to mess with if you live a very carefully budgeted life.

So that would mean saving up for 3 weeks just to pay to play in Dublin.

Then add travel expenses, add food expenses. anything from 70 - 100 euro if you drive home after the show and don't stay over, double that if you have to stay over.

total 70 (not counting this 150 pay to play charge)

Then consider paying the human beings that give their time to your project at very basic minimum wage, or hire local musicians to fill in a entry level musician rates. Either way, treat people like people and not fodder for selling beer. 70 euro per person, two musicians. Then pay yourself a basic amount of money for playing, i.e. 70 euro.

total 280

Consider rehearsal time. Like even 1-2 rehearsal space sessions. 60 - 80eu.

total 360

So in full, the actual band that I actually was in in my actual living scenario playing in dublin for 400eu was basically a really, really reasonable price and was building on the concept i'd drive four hours, be in the venue for four or five more, and then drive another four hours.

But anyways, people would rather I was priced out of music.

Granted I'm working now, and could 'afford' to play in dublin.

But why would I support any night that is pricing people out of playing music.

Also your hypothetical post above assumes that

A: a promoter is willing to take a risk on such a gig.
B: a band takes on the job of promoter also and has done enough getting to know people in dublin to get over 100 people in the door.

Which would both add to the above budget, either to pay the promoter or to do the work yourself.

If a band from donegal on disability (same as dole) can't play, then equally its going to be mighty difficult for any crew outside dublin who aren't working or above a certain level of income to do anything realistic in dublin.

So yes, hypothetically a band could make any conceivable amount of money on a well promoted gig, but first, lets talk about reality.

The reality is that this thread is about a venue for hire not booking your band for gigs....

The reality is that this thread is about a venue for hire not booking your band for gigs....

It's about asking any band who is willing to front the financial risk in a live music scenario in order to fill a room to sell alcohol and I've laid out exactly what risk i'm willing to front. If a person can suggest their pay to play rate, I can suggest my pay to perform rate.

All discussion after that was inspired by how on a scale of 1-10 how unreasonable it was of me to do this.

"if you’re looking to book a show, run a gig or club night" no mention of band there, I think you've taken a biased reading of the post but I'm not gonna continue back and forth with with ya on how you book your band's gigs. That's your call not mine. I'm well aware of the financial costs of being in a band so don't need you to explain that to me again.

"if you’re looking to book a show, run a gig or club night" no mention of band there, I think you've taken a biased reading of the post but I'm not gonna continue back and forth with with ya on how you book your band's gigs. That's your call not mine. I'm well aware of the financial costs of being in a band so don't need you to explain that to me again.

Biased?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back