New Venue in Dublin Drop Dead Twice Taproom (1 Viewer)

"Biased reading": you're in a band looking for gigs so you read the offer of a venue for hire as someone asking your band to play a gig. As I said already I'm done arguing what the subject of the thread is with you so feel free to disagree with me. I'm sure you know your motivations here better than I do.

During my time as a promoter I have guaranteed any bands I've booked a certain amount if requested. I respect the work & commitment of any band & I do my best to accommodate them & cover all expenses incurred.

Having said that I'm not promoting an act here, I'm booking for a new venue which has just recently opened. It offers bands a new space to play, top notch new PA, use of full backline & a space that can accommodate 150 people for a very reasonable rate. I know it's a reasonable rate because I've booked venues throughout Dublin over the past 12 years as an Independent promoter.

This was basically too much facepalm to respond immediatley.

In all reality, how do you suppose a person living on disability benefit in donegal who had a musical thing going on would work realistically in this scenario? Try and stick to real life examples as I base my decisions on music on realities.

For starters living on disability leaves you about 50-70 eu per week to mess with if you live a very carefully budgeted life.

So that would mean saving up for 3 weeks just to pay to play in Dublin.

Then add travel expenses, add food expenses. anything from 70 - 100 euro if you drive home after the show and don't stay over, double that if you have to stay over.

total 70 (not counting this 150 pay to play charge)

Then consider paying the human beings that give their time to your project at very basic minimum wage, or hire local musicians to fill in a entry level musician rates. Either way, treat people like people and not fodder for selling beer. 70 euro per person, two musicians. Then pay yourself a basic amount of money for playing, i.e. 70 euro.

total 280

Consider rehearsal time. Like even 1-2 rehearsal space sessions. 60 - 80eu.

total 360

So in full, the actual band that I actually was in in my actual living scenario playing in dublin for 400eu was basically a really, really reasonable price and was building on the concept i'd drive four hours, be in the venue for four or five more, and then drive another four hours.

But anyways, people would rather I was priced out of music.

Granted I'm working now, and could 'afford' to play in dublin.

But why would I support any night that is pricing people out of playing music.

Also your hypothetical post above assumes that

A: a promoter is willing to take a risk on such a gig.
B: a band takes on the job of promoter also and has done enough getting to know people in dublin to get over 100 people in the door.

Which would both add to the above budget, either to pay the promoter or to do the work yourself.

If a band from donegal on disability (same as dole) can't play, then equally its going to be mighty difficult for any crew outside dublin who aren't working or above a certain level of income to do anything realistic in dublin.

So yes, hypothetically a band could make any conceivable amount of money on a well promoted gig, but first, lets talk about reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back