The Taproom Drop Dead Twice (1 Viewer)

Right. So this is second hand information but a (very nice and fair) promoter who was running a night there for 2 years or so got completely fucked over. He booked a few gigs there and suddenly DDT "replaced" his gigs last minute with no warning and he was left in a shit position with bands and no venue.

So basically DIY bands have been encouraged not to book shows there as they only seem interested in money now.

ALSO - I've put on a few gigs there and nothing personal to the bar staff who I'm sure are just trying to do their job but they have no idea how to respect a quiet gig, for example, lots of loud talking, laughing, chatting, slamming and walking in front of performances. At one point during a quiet performance a staff member brought his bike into the middle of the floor, left it there, took a phone call and walked out and left the bike.

Yep, Luke who started this thread is no longer the promoter, he is a good and fair promoter in my experience and wanted to cut ties due to this. So just a warning, if you're booking with them now, its a different crowd. Not sure who is running the show now but hopefully it'll get into better hands again.

Right. So this is second hand information but a (very nice and fair) promoter who was running a night there for 2 years or so got completely fucked over. He booked a few gigs there and suddenly DDT "replaced" his gigs last minute with no warning and he was left in a shit position with bands and no venue.

So basically DIY bands have been encouraged not to book shows there as they only seem interested in money now.

ALSO - I've put on a few gigs there and nothing personal to the bar staff who I'm sure are just trying to do their job but they have no idea how to respect a quiet gig, for example, lots of loud talking, laughing, chatting, slamming and walking in front of performances. At one point during a quiet performance a staff member brought his bike into the middle of the floor, left it there, took a phone call and walked out and left the bike.
In the early days, it may have still been called the Tivoli Backstage there was awful trouble with the cocktail night they put on upstairs (basically kids brought their own booze, paid a cover charge and had a cocktail waiter mix their drinks for them). Inevitably they would complain about the noise downstairs when the gig started and the staff were less than adept at handling the situation. Happened loads of times. It's a pity because there's such a dearth of good venues in this city and the place itself is pretty nice.

I was only there once, was having a quiet pint and it was suddenly an open mic night. Disaster.
Haha, I was only at that once but I actually thought it was kind of cool. Not open mic in terms of heartfelt singer-songwriters cloying for the spotlight but just a stage with gear (as well as a piano offstage) where random people could just get up and jam. With mixed results of course but interesting nonetheless.

In the early days, it may have still been called the Tivoli Backstage there was awful trouble with the cocktail night they put on upstairs (basically kids brought their own booze, paid a cover charge and had a cocktail waiter mix their drinks for them). Inevitably they would complain about the noise downstairs when the gig started and the staff were less than adept at handling the situation. Happened loads of times. It's a pity because there's such a dearth of good venues in this city and the place itself is pretty nice.
Absolutely. The sound engineer Luke used is a complete gentleman and one of the most respectful and passionate sound men in Dublin. Some of the staff in there are also bang on. I think I may have had bad luck that night, I was shocked.

Also, I have no clue who was above Luke in this and could be wrong in my information - my main message issss... Take caution when booking there now.

Sad seeing this. Luke promoted the the last gig I played with my old band at this venue. I haven't seen the guys since.

Luke R.I. P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back