new screen for macbook (1 Viewer)

schmegeggin

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
hey need to get a new screen for macbook, I rang around and was quoted ridiculous prices like 690 for screen and repair/install or 530 for screen on its own.
So I was looking on ebay and prices range from €150 to €200 but you have to install them yourself (see here for guide) and generally shipped from US, there is one from the UK but it only gives a 7 day guarantee.

Any caveats that I should know about etc or a good local place to get screens?

http://www.ifixit.com/ looks like a good bet - parts and DIY manuals.

For the price of IRL repair, you could buy a 2nd hand macbook - Irish repair shops charge silly money - relying on under-warranty repairs and corporate stuff - there's no point using them for any personal repairs.

i had to pay €990 for my new powerbook screen 2 years ago.
got it on house insurance thank god.
prices youre being quoted arent that bad.
screen is a bollix to replace by yourself.

My policy on Mac repairs is - do it yourself if possible - if not, sell the faulty model on ebay for spares, and buy a refurb model with the difference. This will always work out cheaper than paying for an out-of-warranty repair, imho. Macs have excellent resale value, even if some bits are wrecked, and the refurb store has good value.

just got the screen in the door and replaced it, took about 2 hours to do, a bit scarey but worth it used these guides 1 2 3 (this is the long way), note extremely difficult parts were putting the hinge cover back on and you had to take all the little grey clips of the bezel and straighten them out and then clip them back into the holes before putting the bezel back on. I am very :D

.|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back