New Manics single (2 Viewers)

Happy Friday, where's @chris d when I need him

Pretty sure this live version is the one on the Love's Sweet Exile 12"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the White Stripes with two Bez's

Happy Friday, where's @chris d when I need him

Pretty sure this live version is the one on the Love's Sweet Exile 12"

the White Stripes with two Bez's

I was watching Bullseye on Challenge. Which was lucky since this would have just got me drunk buying on Discogs again. That's the time of night that getting all the GT singles on vinyl seems like a brilliant idea.

I was watching Bullseye on Challenge. Which was lucky since this would have just got me drunk buying on Discogs again. That's the time of night that getting all the GT singles on vinyl seems like a brilliant idea.
Task I completed there last year, would recommend!

Then i had to hunt down all the various live tracks and ended up buying japanese CD singles. Thankfully they go fairly cheap cos who gives a fuck about CDs except auld lads.

Listening to KYE. That 100 odd quid i dropped on the new vinyl and CD booklet of the reissue is going to be dumb right.

Come play some gigs ladz.

Im travelling in Briterland so have to put up with this shit before i can listen to Royal Correspondent again

IMG_20220909_195543.jpg

I had planned to use a day in the office as an excuse for a detour to a record shop on the way home but herself dying means we've been told to work from home until after the funeral!

Listened to a few songs on Spotify alright but will prob hold off on a full listen until I get the cd.

I like how, on the definitive 21 years in the making, double album to get the artistic expression they always wanted, they have stuck a load of extra tracks at the end of each CD so it's impossible to tell where the "real" album is supposed to end. Classic Manics.

Haven't listened yet. I see the podcast idiots (TM @Lili Marlene) have an interview with Dave Eringa about it.

Brother in california has a ticket for them supporting Suede.

I like how, on the definitive 21 years in the making, double album to get the artistic expression they always wanted, they have stuck a load of extra tracks at the end of each CD so it's impossible to tell where the "real" album is supposed to end. Classic Manics.
I wouldn't mind this too much if they had fucking spelled it out on the packaging but nope, no indication as to where each album ends and the bonus tracks begin. Don't make me buy the vinyl lads.

Haven't listened yet. I see the podcast idiots (TM @Lili Marlene) have an interview with Dave Eringa about it.

Brother in california has a ticket for them supporting Suede.
Decent listen actually, Dave Eringa is clearly the soundest man on earth

Anyway, I've given Door to the River a few listens and it's really, really good. Solidarity I haven't given a proper listen yet, it's got some of the really bad Nicky Wire lyrics on it that I'm not willing to face quite yet.

Uh oh. Cannot stand the Avalanches remix of So Why So Sad. Groundhog Days is a b-side dud. Overall the new mixes/masters sound a lot muddier and dead to me. Just a Kid doing a lot of work to save CD1.

I wish I had the original album to hand on cd to compare it with the new one but I'm enjoying the reissue. Mostly been blasting it late at night on headphones with a whiskey at hand which probably helps.

The So Why So Sad remix is shite alright. I put batteries in the cd player remote for the first time in years so I could program the albums to stop without going on to the bonus tracks.

Rosebud and Studies are both really good. We Are All Bourgeois Now just sounds great after Found That Soul. Epicentre, My Guernica and Dead Martyrs all still brilliant. Pretty sure Wattsville Blues and Miss Europa have been improved by about 18% too and I already loved both.

Uh oh. Cannot stand the Avalanches remix of So Why So Sad.
Interesting, I cannot stand the original and think the Avalanches improved it about a billion times. I do wish they had kept the chorus in though, they should have done it again for the reissue but with the chorus.

Groundhog Days is a b-side dud. Overall the new mixes/masters sound a lot muddier and dead to me. Just a Kid doing a lot of work to save CD1.
It's all relative I guess, I prefer the new mixes marginally, maybe, but I'll never get over how bad I find Wire's lyrics circa 2001. I think he's gotten a lot better at introspection as time has gone on, God knows he writes about it enough. My actual most hated Manics lyrics are probably Masses Against the Classes, the least remembered number 1 of all time.

The So Why So Sad remix is shite alright.
Ah well.

Rosebud and Studies are both really good. We Are All Bourgeois Now just sounds great after Found That Soul. Epicentre, My Guernica and Dead Martyrs all still brilliant. Pretty sure Wattsville Blues and Miss Europa have been improved by about 18% too and I already loved both.
Fairly agree with this. 20 years later and I'm still on the fence with Dead Martyrs, it's a good song and not terrible lyric, but it's a little too "Let's do Insight by Joy Division but with a massive Manics chorus. That's the whole idea." Like, sorry but Insight is a better song lads.

One of my things is that James has been kinda incapable of doing indie rock singing since they signed to Sony, I'd probably prefer MORE bad Wire vocals overall.

Last edited:
I don't mind the original So Why So Sad. It does get the Phil Spector thing that it is going for. It's so big and immediate, to the point of sounding harsh. Reminds me of White Christmas from the Christmas Gift album.

My unconsidered thoughts are, this double album might be a bit too worthy a treatment. I liked the original big 75 minute mess. Maybe difficult for me to come out of that head-space.

Love the lads though.

I don't mind the original So Why So Sad. It does get the Phil Spector thing that it is going for. It's so big and immediate, to the point of sounding harsh. Reminds me of White Christmas from the Christmas Gift album.
I think it's just the ba ba ba's tbh. I notice the demo kind of does it without them so maybe that'll be my go to version.

My unconsidered thoughts are, this double album might be a bit too worthy a treatment. I liked the original big 75 minute mess. Maybe difficult for me to come out of that head-space.

Love the lads though.
My thoughts are the 2001 release is 16 originals and a cover so it was only one remix away from being as long as Generation Terrorists! They're mad for their overambitious follies, I fully support them even when I'm rolling my eyes at bits here and there.

I like the new version well enough, and I also like having all the b-sides, which are more or less the same level of quality. Could have done with more Castro footage though!

Anyway, here's JDB putting up with Gerry Ryan in 2001

On BBC Radio 6 this week (Mon-Thur) at 9pm talking about favourite music stuff. Tonight is Nicky Wire talking about bass, so i'll probably skip that.

Tomorrow is JDB's guitar icons so I'm all over that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back