new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (2 Viewers)

Tbh I'm expecting something along the lines of scenario 3 but with maybe only one top player leaving. It looks like rafa is on his way, god only knows who will replace him. My number one requirement for a new manager is someone who's gonna come in and at the very least try and make us play football again. I have always been a rafa fan but that's only because his style of football got results at least in his early days but I think we need a new approach to suceed in our current situation. In dark times like these it's hard not to think back to the 90's which we were pretty crap for most of but at the very least we played some great football. With the players we have now we should be capable of playing teams off the park like we did for a lot of last season but rafa's big failing is that he seems to be too afraid to take risks. The manager's who have been linked with the job such as O' Neill and Hodgson are in the rafa mould i.e. cautious and defensive but not quite as good tactically and also would never have previously worked under the type of pressure that comes with the Liverpool job especially at the moment.

I think I'd rather see someone like Frank Rijkaard come in, the style of play he would employ would without doubt give the players a lift. He somehow came out of the barca job with his reputation damaged but he did produce there for a number of seasons and brought through a lot of the players who have been so sucessful the last couple of seasons. If we do manage to hold onto all our top players I'd like to see us switch back to 442 with masch/aqua in the middle and gerrard on the right. What do others think? Assuming we don't get taken over by a sugar daddy and rafa goes who would you like to see come in, which direction should the team go and why?

it is possible to make minor tweaks to the squad without breaking the bank. what is crucial? a back up striker, or a striker who can play with torres in a 442, a left back is absolutely crucial. some wingers? why bother, he'd never play them. this turan thing is a joke, how the fuck would rafa pick him? we need a left winger who gets up and down the line getting his boots white, whipping in decent crosses. that lad from spain looked decent, riera was it? yeah, he'd be perfect for the left wing in that system. rumour has it that he had a decent season last year in a team that looked pretty fucking good and only lost 2 games. the squad needs a few players, yeah, but the core of it is pretty good when it's on form. gerrard, torres, masch - aquaman will be fit, and nearing his potential. agger gets better (as carra gets worse...but skrtl will be back) and johnson is a great marauding full back. riena, possibly the best keeper in england on his day. certainly the most consistent. dirk is a great squad player, can play in a number of positions, works tirelessly, scores the odd goal. lacks genuine class, but still and asset if used judiciously. lucas, god love him, has improved. what's clear is that he's not suited to a defensive role. either sell him for some squids, or use him further up the pitch. maxi has gotten better, but he's hardly one for the future. as for the kids, pacheco looks good, but he'll never play. ayala the same. kelly, spearing, nemeth, forget about them.

a striker, a winger, a left back.... and there's a squad there.

however, we could buy messi, aguero, maradona, toto schillachi, alfredo di stefano, mathais sindelar and who ever the fuck else, it's completely immaterial if that autistic mentaller is still picking the teams.

seriously, 20 million spent carefully and we're back. nab carlton cole from the hammers. cissokho from lyon or pranjic from bayern. axel witsel from standard. rafael van der vaart or stephen jovetic or miralim pranjic. sell lucas. badda bing. bargain hunting. but it's absolutely crucial that that cunt fucks off before he brings teh club to the brink of extinction. his own personal power games have shattered this fucking club, and his mental contract that he agreed last season has us locked into this. if he doesn't get the "backing" and "financing" he demands he'll put dirk in goal until we are relegated and blame it on the board. he must be stopped. he's nuts.

seriously, 20 million spent carefully and we're back. nab carlton cole from the hammers. cissokho from lyon or pranjic from bayern. axel witsel from standard. rafael van der vaart or stephen jovetic or miralim pranjic. sell lucas. badda bing. bargain hunting.

Any one of those players will probably take the guts of your £20m, never mind getting three of them. If there's anything to the talk of Chelsea willing to spend £70m on Torres, ye'd be as well off taking it and getting 3/4 quality players for that.

I have some kind of male intuition that Benitez will go to Juve which will be followed by the departure of Torres (thought I don't think he'll go to Chelsea) and Gerrard to Inter or Man City. The only thing that can stop this is a big investor coming in.

I'm happy to see Benitez go, he's had a good crack of the whip but let's face it, it's not going to get any better the way things are now. I'd agree with Hector's indentification of the problem areas player wise, but the question remains about Benitez's sucessor if he leaves. Who could be brought in that would

a) be high profile enough to keep the top players happy and push the team forward

b) have enough knowledge of the Premier League to bring the right players in

Rijkaard is an interesting option but would he be too much of a wild card? Since Liverpool moved on from the boot room/old guard system we've had two false dawns in form of Houlier and Rafa. Third time lucky with a big reputation foreign coach or will there be Premier League manager looking to step up to the plate? The latter would certainly be more affordable and if so, you can't look much further than Hodgsen or MO'N in that case. I'd be willing to try out Hodgsen on current form but he's not going to bring the flair back that many want. First one to mention Alex McLeish gets a dead leg..

I'd love to see him go to Real and manage all the egos over there. He'd make a mess of it and the fans would soon tire of him leaving Ronaldo and Kaka on the bench.

pick carlton on the cheap. the hammers said that they'll listen to offers. cissokho is lyon don't get into the champions league, cos they'll have to sell. van der vaart is available, i'd say 12 mil. okay so it's closer to30mil.

why would gerrard join city? i hope gareth barry is having a rightould laugh at it all too. is this the champions league ambition he sought to fulfill? you can be fairly sure that mourinho will beout of inter by the summer, so i'm not sure gerrard would head there either. real possibly? liverpool can afford to lose him, but not torres. all we have now is our reputation, the name of liverpool fc and the fact that if you look at it, we have one of the worlds best players on the books. come play with us, europes mid range players! we have history! mad fans! torres!

or else we're in la la land and the best thing to do is cash in on torres and rebuild. accept mediocrity, but solidity. start again. have fourth as a realistic expectation in a year or two. forget about the league. maybe pick up the rumbellows cup on the way. on the plus side the europa league final is in dublin next year!!! play up pool!!

Regarding other options for manager I'd love to see us get Capello but that's highly unlikely unless he wins the WC this summer and then it's still a long shot. In terms of squad strengthening I think Hector has it spot on with those three positions. Assuming Jovanovic comes in it looks like he'll play on the left like he does for Serbia, he seems similar to Riera, good on the ball gets the odd goal but not lightening quick. I reckon 15m quid could easily cover a back up striker and left back. Let's face it we won't get world class in either position but a solid LB and someone with a bit of finishing ability up front will do us for now. Like I said earlier we need to go back to playing two up top full time, Torres need more protection. Even throwing Kuyt or Ngog up there with him would make a huge difference. It's worth remembering that we have just had our worst season in over a decade while City/Villa/Spurs have had their best so I reckon a 10-15% improvement next season will see us back in the top four and god knows there is plenty room for improvement.

Call off the hunt, Rafa's not going anywhere.

His agent says he expects him to now stay: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6137288,00.html

And good reports coming from his meeting with the top brass: http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6137620,00.html

I don't mind Rafa staying, he's probably worth the risk for one more season rather than risking more instability and having to go back to the drawing board. What I really want to hear is that Torres, Masch and Gerrard are staying too. God I can't wait for the WC to start, take my mind off this shite for a while.

Looks like Parry wasn't such a mug afterall. The club accounts just published have revealed he received a payment of nearly £4.3m when he left the club last year. I guess sucking at your job for over 10 years can payoff sometimes. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

this article is absolutely spot on. anyone who has been following David Conn's work in the Guardian over the last two years will know that all this talk about getting in some new manager and two or three new players is just fantasy talk. as to whether we should think about top four or the title... that's even less relevant to what's facing the club. liverpool could go broke. there is simply no money. it's like Greece, the country, or Portsmouth, the other football club that has no money. this is also the reason that we've been so shite this year. i think it's at best naive and at worst completely mental to try to pin this season's form on benitez's management. yeah some bad decisions, but really not all that many when you consider injuries and form. if we had the money of man city - which we could have done, had moores not changed his mind - i'd rather stick with benitez than any other cunt. last season we finished with 86 points, the same that chelsea have just won the title with. if the club is still paying the players by the end of next year i'll be happy enough.

I've fairly had my fill of the Rafa era but if he's still here next year under new ownership that is NOT based on total cuntery then I'd take that in a shot. That said, I do think his tenure is fatally wounded in terms of (a) even if he did get a reasonable amount of money from the transfer money he brought in, there are doubts as to whether he could remotivate by and large the same team or (b) spend whatever money he had well.

He's done a great job under difficult circumstances until this year when he did a really really shit job under difficult circumstances. Dion Fanning's article recently summed up my feelings on it for the most part. Some people on this very thread were calling for his head after we drew with Wigan away last year and he's been hounded by the media for his entire tenure. That makes me believe he wants to stick around, but I'm just not sure how that would work out well.

As needs to be reinstated at every turn - the American cowboys really are truely to blame for the shocking state of the club, not Rafa, not by a long shot. Getting them out is first priority. The quicker and smoother it happens, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back