Myths we tell ourself (1 Viewer)

Jim said:
"I met Che Guevara in 1962 while working as a barman in a hotel in Killkee, Co. Clare. He was on an enforced stopover in Shannon airport and when he walked into the bar I recognised him immediately as I was a fervent admirer of Guevara, Fidel Castro, Camille Chienfuegos and the Cuban Revolution which succeeded in overthrowing the corrupt mafia-dominated Batista regime. We had a brief but very interesting conversation and he seemed very surprised that anyone recognised him. Not only did I recognise him but I also recognised his bodyguards, the Cuban revolutionaries Willy and Benjamin, who later died in Bolivia by his side.
another famous person visits kilkee

haha, that picture is so famous my brain is telling me that the original is photoshopped

Famousphotoche.jpg

Everyone loves the irish
See... the thing is, I am not really that friendly. Or in possesion of many social niceties. But, even still, mainly in yank land admitedly, I get treated well because I am Irish more often than not.
Much the same deal in Chile, and even Argentina. Mainland Europe doesn't give a fuck, although a few people in Croatia got a bit more pally once they realised I wasn't English.

Maybe that's the key. Not being English. Or American.

I dunno. But yeah, Irish have a decent enough rep in most places I have been.

Similar to the Pele one, apparently the Jamaican accent derives from missionaries from Cork.

That's the Jamaican English accent and it's probably true to an extent but more likely that it dates back to the redlegs (mostly Irish, some Scots) being introduced as slaves in the Caribbean during the 1600's.
Can't really be proved but it all fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back