[Oct 12, 2013] The Boomtown Rats (Vicar Street) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Aiken Promotions present
THE BOOMTOWN RATS
BACK TO BOOMTOWN!
Vicar Street,
12th & 13th October.

TICKETS ON SALE THIS FRIDAY at 9.00am

Following their stunning performance at Live @ the Marquee, Cork last Friday, The Boomtown Rats have announced 2 shows at Dublin’s Vicar St on Oct 12 & 13. Bob Geldof said “We can’t wait to get back to Boomtown. The best way to see a band like ours is up close and sweaty in a club like Vicar St.”

Once famously described as ‘licentious, festering reprobates’ and ‘leprous anti-establishment scumbags’ and banned from playing in their home country, it’s difficult to overestimate the shock and awe The Boomtown Rats inspired in late 70s Ireland. The Rats set out to “disrupt, disturb and question what it meant to be young in the Ireland of the mid-70s”.

Formed in 1975 in Dublin The Boomtown Rats exploded out of Ireland in ’76 and their fast, loud, furious music and their fast loud furious attitude meant they became part of the burgeoning punk scene. Singer Bob Geldof’s defiant motormouth arrogance and flagrant disrespect for authority endeared him and his band to every youth who felt weighed down by the heavy handed blandishments of church and state. In the UK The Boomtown Rats first toured with the Ramones and Talking Heads rocking and mocking the status quo alongside the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam and The Stranglers. They became one of the biggest bands of the late 70s/80s with a string of top ten hits and platinum albums, earning them Brit Awards, Ivor Novellos and Grammy Awards. Making history as the first Irish band to have a UK no 1 hit with ‘Rat Trap’, they went on to top the charts in 32 Countries with ‘I Don't Like Mondays’ and racked up 6 era-defining albums: ‘The Boomtown Rats’ (’77), ‘A Tonic For The Troops’ (’78), ‘The Fine Art Of Surfacing’ (’79), ‘Mondo Bongo’ (’80), ‘V Deep’ (’82) and ‘In The Long Grass’ (’84).

Says Bob: “Age, curiosity and cash prompted our interest in getting together again. Age and cash are self evident. Curiosity about each other and what we did together in the '70' and 80's. Curiosity about those songs that seem to have endured and the music and band that powered them. When I sang again Rat Trap, Looking After No 1, Mondays, Someone's Looking At You, Banana Republic, She's So Modern etc, there was nothing I would change. On re-hearing, on re-singing them I understood that they could have been written yesterday. The circumstances within which they were written hadn't changed. Tragically and unfortunately I could sing those words with utter conviction. This isn't nostalgia, rather perhaps a time to be angry again. Time to go back to Boomtown. If only for a short while...”

The Boomtown Rats will release a new hits collection on August 5th ’13. Entitled ‘Back To Boomtown: Classic Rats’ Hits’ it will feature all of the band’s celebrated hits including ‘Lookin After No 1’, ‘Like Clockwork’, ‘She’s So Modern’, ‘I Don’t Like Mondays’ and ‘Rat Trap’ – songs with an immediacy and a message that is as pertinent today as it was when they were written - plus two new songs recorded by the newly re-formed Rats. The full tracklisting of the album will be –

1. The Boomtown Rats!
2. Mary Of The 4th. Form
3. (I Never Loved) Eva Braun
4. Neon Heart
5. Like ClockWork
6. She's So Modern
7. Lookin' After No. 1
8. Someone's Looking At You
9. Me And Howard Hughes
10. Joey's On The Street Again
11. I Don't Like Mondays
12. Having My Picture Taken
13. Banana Republic
14. Diamond Smiles
15. Rat Trap
16. Back To Boomtown

The digital version of the album will feature two additional songs – ‘House On Fire’ and ‘Drag Me Down’.

Tickets go on sale this Friday priced €39.00 (including booking fee) available from www.ticketmaster.ie & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide. 0818 719 300 - Republic of Ireland customers 0844 277 4455 - Northern Ireland customers 00353 1 456 9569 - International customer

FOR MORE CONCERT INFORMATION CHECK www.aikenpromotions.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back