Musical dilemma. I can't work it out!! (2 Viewers)

Frobisher

I sing, play ryhthym guitar, have bags loads of well written melodic songs, great gear, a really good home studio and lots of industry experience and contacts. After a break from playing seriously I find myself writing lots again and with a burning desire to get my music out there (TV, radio, press, good gigs, single release then onwards)

So where's the problem?

Unfortunately, now that the time is coming to do some proper recording and sorting out gigs I seem to change my mind daily on whether or not I should be a solo artist or get a band together. I'm not a 17 year old whipper snapper anymore (early 30's) and it's been a while since I played with a band but I like the idea of having a group and different inputs on music and the craic that you have too. But bands come with alot of crap as well, don't they!?

Anyone else out there found themselves in this position or got any thoughts? Help me make up my mind!

180px-Martin_Frobisher_by_Ketel.jpg

you'll be grand

I sing, play ryhthym guitar, have bags loads of well written melodic songs, great gear, a really good home studio and lots of industry experience and contacts. After a break from playing seriously I find myself writing lots again and with a burning desire to get my music out there (TV, radio, press, good gigs, single release then onwards)

So where's the problem?

Unfortunately, now that the time is coming to do some proper recording and sorting out gigs I seem to change my mind daily on whether or not I should be a solo artist or get a band together. I'm not a 17 year old whipper snapper anymore (early 30's) and it's been a while since I played with a band but I like the idea of having a group and different inputs on music and the craic that you have too. But bands come with alot of crap as well, don't they!?

Anyone else out there found themselves in this position or got any thoughts? Help me make up my mind!

I am a solo manchild as well, but have just recorded an album that's a mix of solo songs and full band songs - about half in half.

What i did was find the best musicians around (in my humble opinion); rehearse with them for 10 solid weeks; record the album more or less live. As it's my project I covered all the costs and the organising. That way the band could just come in and be musicians, which allows them to have the creative experience of a band without the headaches.

In my case, it's a short term arrangement until the album is launched, so I don't need the band to commit to a long-term thing, although I will probably keep working with some or all of them on an on-off basis after that.

All of this depends on getting musicians you respect, who have a good work ethic and who like your music.

Just get it out there & stop whining.

Whining me hoop. I am getting it out there, I'm just trying to decide exactly what way I want to do it. Songwriters have had the same dilemma for yonks. Although maybe you're a bassist and the hardest thing you have to worry about is whether for the next gig you'll flick your hair to the right or left at the end of that fancy middle 8 the band let you write. :p

Although maybe you're a bassist and the hardest thing you have to worry about is whether for the next gig you'll flick your hair to the right or left at the end of that fancy middle 8 the band let you write. :p

You're a prick - I'd say you're best off go solo.

Whining me hoop. I am getting it out there, I'm just trying to decide exactly what way I want to do it. Songwriters have had the same dilemma for yonks. Although maybe you're a bassist and the hardest thing you have to worry about is whether for the next gig you'll flick your hair to the right or left at the end of that fancy middle 8 the band let you write. :p

Good luck getting a bassist for your new band! :D

Whining me hoop. Although maybe you're a bassist and the hardest thing you have to worry about is whether for the next gig you'll flick your hair to the right or left at the end of that fancy middle 8 the band let you write. :p

Au contraire ma soeur,
I just have a pathological aversion to vainglorious song-writers who think the world should take an interest in the vagaries of their quotidien.
It's never been easier to get your music out there anyway what with Pro-Tools, myspace and the cd-r aestethics and if you genuinely had courage in your convictions you wouldn't be looking to a message-board for advice...unless it's a thinly-veiled request for an ego-massage?!

Au contraire ma soeur,
I just have a pathological aversion to vainglorious song-writers who think the world should take an interest in the vagaries of their quotidien.
It's never been easier to get your music out there anyway what with Pro-Tools, myspace and the cd-r aestethics and if you genuinely had courage in your convictions you wouldn't be looking to a message-board for advice...unless it's a thinly-veiled request for an ego-massage?!

I didn't realised it was velied at all! ;) No, I was just hoping to find another songwriter who had been in a similar situation or from a musician who had joined a songwriter and was willing to share their experiences. A couple of good responses so far though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back