music is shite (3 Viewers)

Donnacha, Not that you are looking for encouragement or anything but I was in Hamburg last week and there were people playing your cd in an apartment I was visiting. They also really liked it.

donnacha said:
ah yes but I'm not worried that what I'm doing is shite 'per se' but that the whole enterprise is actually a bag of shite.

Even the music I love and I know is great seems flimsy and inconsequential right now.

:confused:
Oh dear. Now that is a problem. Can't say I've had this happen to me. Do you think all music is shite then, or is it just that you're not sure what you actually like now? Probably the former, I'm guessing...is it shite in comparison to something else or just, plain, shite? Spell it out for us like...

michaelknight said:
Oh dear. Now that is a problem. Can't say I've had this happen to me. Do you think all music is shite then, or is it just that you're not sure what you actually like now? Probably the former, I'm guessing...is it shite in comparison to something else or just, plain, shite? Spell it out for us like...

I suppose it comes down to Eno's question 'Is this something worth spending time on?'.

As I said earlier, a lot of music just seems a little flimsy and inconsequential right now.

Compared to two or three years ago, I spend way way less time making music and I sometimes wonder why.

Had a good night last night though, might have done something worthwhile.

Anyhow, I've decided not to moan publicly today so that's that

i've done that.

you write something you think is great and you show it to people with dawning horror that it just isn't.

or you spend weeks trying to record four songs that you think sound better that the usual indie shite to have it dismissed as the usual indie shite.....

all the bullshit with playing in a circle.. gig after gig.. trying your best to make interesting music but at once hearing how like something else it is.

it can be so demoralising...!

On one point... I recently spent a long time practicing 4 nights a week and by the end I didn't want to hear any music ever, it made me confused and nervous and jittery... I think I had just plain knackered my ears. My ears were just plain tired of hearing arranged patterns a set range od sounds etc, etc, etc... feel better now but.

On the other point... yeah sometimes you get in the midst of something at it all sounds wrong and stupid and lame. Anyhow I got an idea from Brian Wilsons biography, when he was recovering from one of his wig outs he used to write real short songs about everyday things. Opening the fridge, phoning a friend etc, etc, etc

So if I'm bored and listless and fed up I sometimes try to write a one minute song about something (midget bites was the last one, funny enough) for no reason then just to try and render the emotions, motions, actions and sensations of a very simple act. Sort of reminds me music is fun and good and detaches you from the "seriousness" of it. Course the 'songs" are nearly always hilariously awful, but I feel beeter afterwards.

Just a thought.

..or you could just never do the same song twice..nerve wracking to do on stage..but when it works out immensely satisfying..horrible when it all goes wrong though..thats just another thought.. !ninjaaaa

cassette/tape said:
i've done that.

you write something you think is great and you show it to people with dawning horror that it just isn't.

or you spend weeks trying to record four songs that you think sound better that the usual indie shite to have it dismissed as the usual indie shite.....

all the bullshit with playing in a circle.. gig after gig.. trying your best to make interesting music but at once hearing how like something else it is.

it can be so demoralising...!

I'm not worried that I'm shite.

Yes, I've spent days working on things and then just turned off the gear without saving anything. So, I know when it's not going somewhere. By the same token, I also KNOW when I've got something good.

The problem is that I wonder what precisely is the basis of my interest/lifelong obsession with music.

I sometimes wonder if it's worth the effort either to listen to or to make.

I find 99.9% of what I hear does absolutely nothing for me.

I was recently given a cd which a friend was also given at the same time. I asked him what he thought of it. His reply was 'It was perfectly nice but I know I'm never going to listen to it again'.

Right now I'm finding most things like this. Perfectly nice but rather flat and uninteresting and never to be listened to again.

Musicians can be as important as Engineers and Politicians and whatnot. And art in general is as important as buildings, sport, infrastructures, the media. It's as important to people as these things. Just think how important some artform or another is to absolutely EVERYONE you know, whether it be your dad singing a Tex Ritter song or your kid brother hearing Hamill on Trial for the first time and his head goin "wha?"

Actually it's more important than buildings or whatnot, because it can be destructive as well as constructive, and what more powerful way to make culture develop?

And music is the one artform that gets into everyone's everyday life. Everyone likes music. Did you ever ask someone do you like music and they say no? No I didn't think so.

But that diatribe aside, maybe you should try and listen to something completely different. When you get to listening music of one kind for whatever reason - usually snobbery - of course it gets boring after a while. Not saying you're a snob like, but why not try forgetting about why you listen and just enjoy it?

..I met a worked with a guy once who didn't like music. He had no records or c.d.s or ought like. He said music distracted him. I didn't want to know what it distracted him from and never spoke to him again..he was just a little too "staring out the window" kinda guy

right on snakybus!! .|..|
i met a guy once who owned one cd. what was it?
the cd single of "a girl like you" by edwyn collins. i think that qualifies as not liking music. :D
and apologies if i have now put that song in yr head :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back