Music Durability (3 Viewers)

hag said:
don't pioneers tend to be remembered over anything else? like, most of the time, they're never recognised when they're alive (mozart was burried in a pauper's grave)
I'd guess most pioneers live and die in obscurity, whereas copyists tend to be more successful. No shit. If a pioneer does manage to get recognised and to spawn some copyists, then he/she probably will be revered, but I'd say that's the exception rather than the rule

BTW Mozart was pretty famous when he was alive I think, being buried in a pauper's grave was more to do with his lifestyle and the culture of the time than his lack of recognition

Oh and I don't think "honesty" is that important in lyrics - you can put pieces of yourself into something without being honest as such (e.g. NCave, TWaits, BDylan, etc etc etc)

egg_ said:
I'd guess most pioneers live and die in obscurity, whereas copyists tend to be more successful. No shit. If a pioneer does manage to get recognised and to spawn some copyists, then he/she probably will be revered, but I'd say that's the exception rather than the rule

BTW Mozart was pretty famous when he was alive I think, being buried in a pauper's grave was more to do with his lifestyle and the culture of the time than his lack of recognition

Oh and I don't think "honesty" is that important in lyrics - you can put pieces of yourself into something without being honest as such (e.g. NCave, TWaits, BDylan, etc etc etc)
urgh! writing about the human condition... that's common to all of those assholes. and yeah, mozart liked the booze and the good life but he ended up real poor because he didn't do what he was told. he was asked to write it 'this way' and he said no. so he got no money and was totally sidelined for the twilight years of his life.

lmd64 said:
snakey doesn't have any honest words. he just makes up lies on the spot, a kind of al fresco pinocchio
yeah, but he's sexy. that counts for a lot in these mixed up times.

hag said:
urgh! writing about the human condition... that's common to all of those assholes. and yeah, mozart liked the booze and the good life but he ended up real poor because he didn't do what he was told. he was asked to write it 'this way' and he said no. so he got no money and was totally sidelined for the twilight years of his life.
he died when he was 45. hardly twilight years, even for 1791. and he wasn't sidelined, he was in the middle of writing the requiem when he died.

also
Mozart was buried in a Vienna suburb, with little ceremony and in an unmarked grave, in accordance with prevailing custom.

eh, google, of course.

lmd64 said:
he died when he was 45. hardly twilight years, even for 1791. and he wasn't sidelined, he was in the middle of writing the requiem when he died.

also

eh, google, of course.
i don't know how much you know about what happened to him in the time leading up to when he was commissioned to write the requiem, but he was treated really badly by the powers that be. and he also had a horrible disease which killed him. yeah, it was the custom at the time to bury the lower classes in such graves, people who had no money, down and outs. not court composers. do you want to take this outside?

personally, something in the song has to move me... anything a lyric, guitar line, drum beat whatever... for it to last the test of time with me. though i suppose you cant really capture that no matter how you try, just a matter of taste.

Jimmy Magee said:
I've me own ideas on this...but I'd be interested in what other people think, as I reckon there's a certain amount of personal taste involved, so...

I'm sure people are familiar with the phenomenon of some music being more durable than other music, to wit, some music sounds good initially but you get sick of it very quickly, whereas other stuff stays good for longer. Have people noticed any pattern to stuff that they've found durable/not durable? Let's bring this on.

I know people might think this a bit of a wanky subject, but I would be *really* interested in what people have to say...durability has always been me overriding concern, but I think I might have had a narrow focus as to how to acheive it...

hag said:
do you want to take this outside?
yes, lets go outside. in the sunshine, i know you want to but you can't say yes.
lets go outside. in the moonshine, take me to the places that I love best

wow, durable music and lyrics pertinent to the current situation. isn't that what the Knightster is talking about?

lmd64 said:
yes, lets go outside. in the sunshine, i know you want to but you can't say yes.
lets go outside. in the moonshine, take me to the places that I love best

wow, durable music and lyrics pertinent to the current situation. isn't that what the Knightster is talking about?
check out trans am's 'play in the summer' from red line. it's nice. and reminds me of being a kid. kinda like 'homework' by heavy vegetable taken from "Songs About Angels, Evil, and Running Around on Fire" - that's a pure lovely song.

Miss Piggy said:
did you guys know that Falco was killed in a car crash a few years ago?

http://www.falco.bkl.at/index.asp?lg=EN&sid=9&bid=8&det=on
no, but i did know when 'rock me amadeus' hit number one, he bought a huge teddy for his kid and it was so big, he needed to buy it a plane ticket to get it home. imagine that!!! "would you like a beverage sir!" "rarrrrrr... honey?"

I've listened to Second Toughest in the Infants by Underworld for about 10 years now, and I still think that the first two tracks are the best half hour* of music I own. It's probly the complexity of the drums etc.. whereas I rarely listen to any rock music after a few months (tho there are exceptions)

*Although I'm sure the fact that two tracks last half an hour will put many off..

egg_ said:
Last night I dreamt that I had been enslaved by bears and was trying to escape

I succeeded, but woke up before I could get far enough from their headquarters to be safe
cormac, you should have your own board just to post your dreams. they're great.

i had a dream a few days ago featuring pete sisk's fancy tape echo pedal. when i saw it again the next day (in real life, like), i did a double-take because the dream had been so real that seeing the object in question again freaked me out.

Jimmy Magee said:
I know people might think this a bit of a wanky subject, but I would be *really* interested in what people have to say...durability has always been me overriding concern, but I think I might have had a narrow focus as to how to acheive it...
I know nothing about production techniques or nuttin but it seems to me the old stuff I still listen has good production values. I can't listen to a lot of husker du's output anymore becuause it just sounds so SHIT. And it's such a shame, because they are one of my favourite bands 4evah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back