Munster Hurling Championship Thread (1 Viewer)

Ciarán R

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
The sport of kings returns on Sunday, as does Eoin Kelly when Tipp face Cork.

Championship sunday in Semple against Cork with scalding hot weather, and some fella shouting "who is for the last of the ices?" - is there a better place to be?

I heard a rumour that Eoin Kelly's back is fucked long term, and that he'll be a shadow of his former self. Any truth to it? Shame if there is. Class act.

to be honest, I'm very surprised he is playing sunday

there are so many rumours about his back, but it certainly ain't 100% I'd imagine. I'd say he'll definintely have huge trouble with it when he is older too, and will be crippled to some extent when he is in his 40s/50s. Hopefully not though.

great win for tipp, great game too, thought at half time lar corbett was runnin the show in the half forward line but cork rightly snuffed it out and tipp didnt get a sniff a ball in the half forward line in the second hald, thought it was a strange wan subbn webster towards the end but im sure someone with less porter in them than me knew what they were doin

ah it was poor fare really. The quality of play left an awful lot to be desired. For me the outcome of this game was never in doubt. What was in doubt was how Tipp would dispose of Cork, and they didn't do so convincingly at all. The second half implosion was fairly spectacular, and the subs were a long time in coming.

That was the difference in the end. The fresh legs Tipp brought on injected some bit of life back into the team. Cork, on the other hand, seemed to not want to sub more that 3 or so lads (I made it).

Cork started with 1 forward. Tipp should have destroyed them in that opening half. That they didn't is their own fault really. Some very sloppy play and very slack marking at the back (and mostly indiscipline in this sector).

Plus, O'Neill going off early for Cork was an unexpected boost for them. He couldn't cope with Kelly at all (I think hes a half-back, not a corner back), whereas the lad that came on marked him far tighter.

Still, it was good enough fare for this time of the year. That fixture could have been a damp squib but it had more than a passing resemblance to a Munster final atmosphere. Thurles was great, people everywhere enjoying the sun and the hurling.

Heres hoping the rest of the summer lives up to the promise.

i was obviously very advanced state of refreshment yesterday, as i got a lecture of my elderly neighbor when i was chatting to him this morning and said "good game yesterday", must of been tough on cumins yesterday, he still wears 4 jerseys outta superstition?

ah it was poor fare really. The quality of play left an awful lot to be desired. For me the outcome of this game was never in doubt. What was in doubt was how Tipp would dispose of Cork, and they didn't do so convincingly at all. The second half implosion was fairly spectacular, and the subs were a long time in coming.

That was the difference in the end. The fresh legs Tipp brought on injected some bit of life back into the team. Cork, on the other hand, seemed to not want to sub more that 3 or so lads (I made it).

Cork started with 1 forward. Tipp should have destroyed them in that opening half. That they didn't is their own fault really. Some very sloppy play and very slack marking at the back (and mostly indiscipline in this sector).

Plus, O'Neill going off early for Cork was an unexpected boost for them. He couldn't cope with Kelly at all (I think hes a half-back, not a corner back), whereas the lad that came on marked him far tighter.

Still, it was good enough fare for this time of the year. That fixture could have been a damp squib but it had more than a passing resemblance to a Munster final atmosphere. Thurles was great, people everywhere enjoying the sun and the hurling.

Heres hoping the rest of the summer lives up to the promise.

Aye, hurling wasn't ace, but playing in that heat (particularly when two of your team are just getting over the mumps) was always gonna dictate that. Left Semple after the game and it was still roasting. Running around for 70 minutes in it would have been torture.

Tipp played well in patches, as did Cork. Considering Noel McGrath and Michael Webster had to be talked into playing the game (they were digging the grave of a young clubmate on Saturday), it was hardly surprising that they faded out in second half.

Overall, I'm happy with the fact that we didn't lose it, as we always seem to have a problem closing out games, but I'd still fear cork later on. It's early days yet though.

Just looking at the Tipp u21 team list that played Cork last night;

TIPPERARY: B McCormack; D Maher, Padraic Maher, K Maher; B Maher, T Stapleton, T McGrath; S Hennessy, G Ryan; M Gleeson (0-1), S Callanan (0-6), N McGrath (0-2); P Bourke (1-9), Patrick Maher, S Bourke (1-1); Subs: B Fox for T McGrath; S Carey for Gleeson; J O’Neill (0-3) for Hennessy; S Quinlan for Carey; J Coghlan for K Maher; S Hennessy for S Bourke;

whats with all the feckin Mahers? Are they runnin out of names down there? Time was when it was all Ryans. Now its Mahers.

Just looking at the Tipp u21 team list that played Cork last night;

TIPPERARY: B McCormack; D Maher, Padraic Maher, K Maher; B Maher, T Stapleton, T McGrath; S Hennessy, G Ryan; M Gleeson (0-1), S Callanan (0-6), N McGrath (0-2); P Bourke (1-9), Patrick Maher, S Bourke (1-1); Subs: B Fox for T McGrath; S Carey for Gleeson; J O’Neill (0-3) for Hennessy; S Quinlan for Carey; J Coghlan for K Maher; S Hennessy for S Bourke;

whats with all the feckin Mahers? Are they runnin out of names down there? Time was when it was all Ryans. Now its Mahers.

Maher was always a strong name, but Christ, there is only Willie Ryan on the tipp panel this year with the Ryan surname. You've also Shane Maher on the senior panel this year, and there was a maher lad who played with the thurles school team that won All-Ireland this year who is another savage prospect.

Limerick-Waterford this weekend. It doesn't excite too much I have to say. The sideshow of Justin facing his old team may add something of a buzz to things, but I expect this to be poor enough. Limerick haven't shown anything to suggest they'll be anything other than average this year. Waterford have played well in one game this year - that topsy-turvy league game against Kilkenny that was pretty much ruined by 7 players having to leave the field.

Still though, you'd have to fancy Waterford for this. If Mullane doesn't start it'll seriously blunt their attack. Limerick backs should try and get a rise out of Eoin Kelly early on. Hes his own worst enemy when he lets stuff like that get at him.

Also of interest is where Ken McGrath will line out. Center-forward? Center-back?

As for Limerick, I haven't been following them closely this year (other than their results) so I don't know who the form players are. But I can't imagine it'll be anyone other than the usual suspects (Shaughs, Lucey, Geary). I can't see them being good enough really, despite the Justin factor.

Either way, it'll prove a nothing game come the end of the championship. It'll be more interesting from a Limerick point of view, moreso than Waterford, to indicate the form and direction of this bunch of players.

Waterford to win by 6-7 points.

Limerick-Waterford this weekend. It doesn't excite too much I have to say. The sideshow of Justin facing his old team may add something of a buzz to things, but I expect this to be poor enough. Limerick haven't shown anything to suggest they'll be anything other than average this year. Waterford have played well in one game this year - that topsy-turvy league game against Kilkenny that was pretty much ruined by 7 players having to leave the field.

Still though, you'd have to fancy Waterford for this. If Mullane doesn't start it'll seriously blunt their attack. Limerick backs should try and get a rise out of Eoin Kelly early on. Hes his own worst enemy when he lets stuff like that get at him.

Also of interest is where Ken McGrath will line out. Center-forward? Center-back?

As for Limerick, I haven't been following them closely this year (other than their results) so I don't know who the form players are. But I can't imagine it'll be anyone other than the usual suspects (Shaughs, Lucey, Geary). I can't see them being good enough really, despite the Justin factor.

Either way, it'll prove a nothing game come the end of the championship. It'll be more interesting from a Limerick point of view, moreso than Waterford, to indicate the form and direction of this bunch of players.

Waterford to win by 6-7 points.

Limerick don't get going until the Championship. Failure to unearth some new stars is a disappointment but we've enough good players to win this match. There's quality all over the pitch and Hickey's fitness is a huge boost.. Hopefully too Shaughs will shrug off his recent bad form and put on a good show.

Limerick by 3.

G'WAN LIMERICK.

just back from this, drenched to the bone stuck for an hour gettin out of thurles, terrible fuckin game, shaughs was a disgrace, and as for Morans free taking:rolleyes: they were given every opertunity to win the match. Limerick should have won handy enough,think it could be a good game next saturday.

just back meself. Avoided a drenching thanks to a covered seat and luck with dryness to/from the ground. What absolute shite though. The worst shite ever. I know the conditions were poor, but jaysus, we're talking stuff that wouldn't even be considered passable in the Christy Ring cup.

If only Limerick had put Reale on Mullane from the start. And what the hell took Justin so long to get the subs on. Sheehan looked lively. And Breen is awkward as hell but is a handful.

Limerick definitely didn't know their best team going into this. They may have a better idea now. Jaysus though, if ever there was a day to get Wayne McNamara on, it was today. He'd have loved that mullocking.

Waterford absolute muck. Big Dan is finished. Ken McGrath getting taken off. Looks like the wheels are coming off that bandwagon.

I can't help thinking Limerick left this behind them today and now their chance is gone. I hope I'm wrong.....

just back meself. Avoided a drenching thanks to a covered seat and luck with dryness to/from the ground. What absolute shite though. The worst shite ever. I know the conditions were poor, but jaysus, we're talking stuff that wouldn't even be considered passable in the Christy Ring cup.

If only Limerick had put Reale on Mullane from the start. And what the hell took Justin so long to get the subs on. Sheehan looked lively. And Breen is awkward as hell but is a handful.

Limerick definitely didn't know their best team going into this. They may have a better idea now. Jaysus though, if ever there was a day to get Wayne McNamara on, it was today. He'd have loved that mullocking.

Waterford absolute muck. Big Dan is finished. Ken McGrath getting taken off. Looks like the wheels are coming off that bandwagon.

I can't help thinking Limerick left this behind them today and now their chance is gone. I hope I'm wrong.....

limerick definetly had more positives to take away than waterford, hickey was immense ,reale had a good game as did foley, I was thinkin mcnamara meself but there really wasnt any major problems in midfield. Conditions were terrible but I noticed in the half time game the schoolgirls had no problems rising the ball, unlike the limerick forwards in the first half. But you would definetly feel limerick left it behind them.

Limerick got the all-important equalising score plus Waterford lost a big lead. Therefore I think Waterford left it behind.

about 5 handy points missed in the first half ,especially doney ryans miss when he looked through on goal, the muzzeling of mullane in the second half + all of morans wides, waherfud with only 2 points in the second half, limerick deffo left it behind them. i still reckon it had the makings of a great game and should be a good wan on saturday

about 5 handy points missed in the first half ,especially doney ryans miss when he looked through on goal, the muzzeling of mullane in the second half + all of morans wides, waherfud with only 2 points in the second half, limerick deffo left it behind them. i still reckon it had the makings of a great game and should be a good wan on saturday

dunno. I remember the last time these sides drew in the Munster championship - remember the big semple lockout - they'd just finished doing up the old stand but the fire chief wouldn't give permission to put cameras in the gantry cos of some problem with the access points to it. The drawn game was a cracker - the last reffed by Pat Ahearne, who was one of the worst referees I've ever seen in all my days involved in hurling (at everything from junior D to senior level). It was the day Mullane went on a run, beat half the Limerick defence, then sidestepped the keeper, but before he knew it he was in the net - he forgot to hit the ball into the goal and instead carried it over the line - free out! Hilarious.

The replay ended up being one of the poorest matches ever. Low-scoring fare with 2 teams more afraid to lose than wanting to win.

I was very surprised by Hickey as well. I went out to the Fitz cup semis and finals a couple of months back and he was hurling in the middle of the field for UL. Very average I would have said. He was immense yesterday, though mostly when the ball was coming at him. Hes not big on mullocking. I'd have had McNamara on for Dodge. He works hard but McNamara would give more of a physical edge in that area of the field. Waterford were piss-poor there though, so you're right, it wasn't exactly a major problem area.

How is Donie Ryan one of the best 15 hurlers in Limerick? Time and time again he shows himself not being up to this level (interspersed with the odd flash here and there of a promising run that comes to nothing).

Watched the highlights on the telly last night. Jaysus, Mark Foley gave Mullane some doing. Cracked him over the head twice, and neither looked like an accident. Shades of the great Clem Smith there!! Seeing as its only Mullane, its only proper order I say.

I don't know where waterford go from here. They had only 1 forward yesterday, and he only played in 1 half. No midfield. Half-back line was good, and full-back line was dodgy as hell (Eoin Murphy excepted). Yesterday they looked every bit the team that got bet out the gate in the all-Ireland final last september.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back