Hurling Championship (1 Viewer)

ps isn't it fantastic to have hurling back, even if the games are crap?
have had three sunday's out of the last four out in the fresh air watching below-par inter-county fixtures that are still more entertaining than any premiership game.

yep, got my first smell of summer yesterday with the hurlin and a decent bit of weather.

I wonder about John O'Brien. He did well when he came on, but I've seen him hurl as many bad games as good to know hes not gonna be the player that Tipp can place their hopes on. Its something about Toome players. Exceptional at club level but struggled to carry it through. Tommy Dunne excepted of course.

I think Corbett's playing well will be more important. I agree with your siting of him on the half-forward line. But hes too inconsistent. He has potential to beat teams on his own when he gets going, but he rarely delivers fully on what he promises.

The day I see Liam Sheedy giving either Ryan O'Dwyer or Micheal Webster another Tipp jersey is the day I'll write off their chances for the year. Tipp are developing a pool of 'hurlers' to choose from in the forwards. They don't need big lads. Unless Daragh Egan decides to get his finger out of his hole that is.

Bourke will be gone once Eoin Kelly returns. Its his frees keeping him there at the minute.

Also, I think Tipp are in trouble for a keeper once Cummins goes. Kennedy hasn't enough presence about him. A fine keeper, but he doesn't really inspire confidence the way Cummins does.

yep, got my first smell of summer yesterday with the hurlin and a decent bit of weather.

I wonder about John O'Brien. He did well when he came on, but I've seen him hurl as many bad games as good to know hes not gonna be the player that Tipp can place their hopes on. Its something about Toome players. Exceptional at club level but struggled to carry it through. Tommy Dunne excepted of course.

I think Corbett's playing well will be more important. I agree with your siting of him on the half-forward line. But hes too inconsistent. He has potential to beat teams on his own when he gets going, but he rarely delivers fully on what he promises.

The day I see Liam Sheedy giving either Ryan O'Dwyer or Micheal Webster another Tipp jersey is the day I'll write off their chances for the year. Tipp are developing a pool of 'hurlers' to choose from in the forwards. They don't need big lads. Unless Daragh Egan decides to get his finger out of his hole that is.

Bourke will be gone once Eoin Kelly returns. Its his frees keeping him there at the minute.

Also, I think Tipp are in trouble for a keeper once Cummins goes. Kennedy hasn't enough presence about him. A fine keeper, but he doesn't really inspire confidence the way Cummins does.

yep, JOB is fierce inconsistent for both club and county. Saw him in the county final and munster semi with toome, and he was rubbish. Do think Full-forward is his best position though, and as he showed on Saturday, if he gets a few chances, he'll probably take them.

Lar Corbett too struggles with consistency, but I think a lot of that goes down to his constant injury probs.

Once Willie Ryan is fit again, Pa Bourke will probably have to get his coat.

No major probs with goalkeeper. Kennedy has a few lads on his heels, including paddy mccormack, darren gleeson (on the panel) and young Matthew Ryan who I think could be the Tipp no 1 when Brendan hangs up the four or five jerseys that he wears for every game.

Once Willie Ryan is fit again, Pa Bourke will probably have to get his coat.

No major probs with goalkeeper. Kennedy has a few lads on his heels, including paddy mccormack, darren gleeson (on the panel) and young Matthew Ryan who I think could be the Tipp no 1 when Brendan hangs up the four or five jerseys that he wears for every game.

Ryan is superbly gifted, but his lack of pace could tell against him. Unless he develops his game like Eoin Kelly, playing over his shoulder.

I played with a cousin of Gleeson and have heard many good things. Tipp have never had a shortage of great underage keepers. They never came through though;

Vinnie Doheny (playing outfield now I believe).
Cottrell (was never gonna make that step up)
Damien Young (fantastic for club county and college, but got sick of waiting for Cummins to retire. Plus was prone to the odd howler).
I recall lads saying the only reason McCormack got a Tipp jersey underage was because his da was managing. He looked decent enough to me, but again I couldn't see him making the grade.
Haven't really seen Ryan play. Hes playing fitzgibbon at the moment, no?

I really don't rate Kennedy though, and from what I've heard of Gleeson, I can't see how hes behind him in the pecking order.

Ryan is superbly gifted, but his lack of pace could tell against him. Unless he develops his game like Eoin Kelly, playing over his shoulder.

I played with a cousin of Gleeson and have heard many good things. Tipp have never had a shortage of great underage keepers. They never came through though;

Vinnie Doheny (playing outfield now I believe).
Cottrell (was never gonna make that step up)
Damien Young (fantastic for club county and college, but got sick of waiting for Cummins to retire. Plus was prone to the odd howler).
I recall lads saying the only reason McCormack got a Tipp jersey underage was because his da was managing. He looked decent enough to me, but again I couldn't see him making the grade.
Haven't really seen Ryan play. Hes playing fitzgibbon at the moment, no?

I really don't rate Kennedy though, and from what I've heard of Gleeson, I can't see how hes behind him in the pecking order.

McCormack ain't bad, but he has been involved in a lot of teams his father was over alright.

Ryan is a good bit of stuff. Played minor for tipp, was the U21 keeper last year. Playing Fitzgibbon with LIT this year. Templederry lad. saw him make some great saves for his club this year (albeit in the intermediate championship).

I remember Vinnie Doheny (mullinahone, yeah?) played wing back in waterford crystal a few years ago alright

Willie Ryan is another lad with great skill and can take a score but never seems to do quite enough. ah well.

I remember Vinnie Doheny (mullinahone, yeah?) played wing back in waterford crystal a few years ago alright

yep, thats the lad. Can't recall when I saw him play last. I think he was on that minor team that were robbed in a Munster final by Cork a couple of years ago (Patrick Horgan was on that Cork side).

Yeah, brilliant game. What was the Tipp player who got sent off thinking though? Oh I'll just blatantly swing my hurley at this guy's face and no worries. I don't think it helped Tipp.

I agree about the goalie. Basically saved Kilkenny's bacon with a load of saves. In fact, like Cyprus last night, Tipp probably deserved to get a draw or a win. I think they played better by and large.

I think Tipp would have won if yer man hadn't got himself sent off. He was only on the pitch about four minutes earlier too! I doubt he'll be popular in Tipperary in the near future.

I think thats about right but then I wonder if they'll be too surprised by him. Hes had his moments in times past that would leave one wondering what they were at bringing him on at all.

They possibly would have won if he wasn't sent off. We'll never know but one things for sure, they'll have had a hell of a better chance.

What a game though. Was well worth missing sunday of EP for. The first and fourth of the 4-in-a-row will live long in the memory.

bump

great start to the hurling year. Fairly comprehensive win by Cork though its hard to gauge how shit Tipp were. I reckon they were fairly poor but thats not to take from Cork's best outing in about 5 years.

Antrim nearly repeated 1989's all-ireland semi final heroics against Offaly, pushing them to extra-time, but losing out in the end.

And Galway showed that they aren't all that. Still carrying a lot of passengers on their team, despite all the media bluster since their league win.

summer is officially here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back