Hurling Championship (1 Viewer)

did anyone read that Cork hurling statement?

was anybody able to read it before falling asleep?

I can get about 2/3s of the way through it before losing the will to live.

Personally I'm boycotting the whole saga. It alone makes me lose the will to live.

To paraphrase Rodney King, can't they all just get along?

did anyone read that Cork hurling statement?

was anybody able to read it before falling asleep?

I can get about 2/3s of the way through it before losing the will to live.

is it worth getting into a debate?
not sure if my background in GAA is strong enough to out argue but it's pretty clear it's not players fault.

their statement yesterday was excellent - the one thing i regret they didnt do was hang Frank Murphy out to dry a bit more, but if the local clubs do their job he may be left with no alternative to resign.

not sure if my background in GAA is strong enough to out argue but it's pretty clear it's not players fault.

well they certainly have a genuine grievance but their behaviour at times has lost them the respect of pretty much everyone in the hurling world at the moment.

Given their past behaviour when they had similar grievances it was very important for them to carefully consider every step they took so as not to look like spoiled kids (perception is everything in a scenario such as this). They didn't. They really messed up badly on numerous occasions, right from the off pretty much when they failed to send in their 2 allowed representatives to the selection committee. Yes, I know they complained of poor process issues, etc, but in my book that was their first huge mistake.

The second was to lose sight of what their actual grievance was. Reading the statement it seems to me that they're still not sure. Their main problem is Frank Murphy but they went and started a vendetta against Gerald McCarthy, who is pretty much a god in hurling terms. Doing that was very ill-advised and has lost them a lot of respect amongst the general public.

The '08 panel think they're indespensible. They're not. A lot of them are over the hill. A lot of those over the hill are the ones to the forefront of this campaign. The younger players, despite that false show of solidarity last night (well in my view its false), are being misled and (in my view) intimidated into towing the line. I have little doubt that many of those lads would be more than willing to line out for Cork under the current management.

I have first hand knowledge of some of that Cork panel. I've played both with and against some of them and believe whats happening now to be out of character with them. Thus I can't but think that there is some degree of manipulation going on. And I can guess who by.

The statement pretty much gives an ultimatum to the clubs and to the public to state which side they're on. It seems to me at the minute that the clubs are very much divided. Those with representatives on the '08 panel (Bride Rovers excepted) are siding with the players. The others are happy to send players forward to play under McCarthy, and it seems that those players are happy to do so.

Lastly, Teddy Mac hit the nail on the head with his statement this week. Cork hurling is bigger than Donal Og or Sean Og or even the 30 of those lads put together. At the moment Cork at their best are probably 3rd or 4th in the overall pecking order. Its february not. Regardless of what happens with this dispute the year is pretty much a write-off for them. Their priority should be in rebuilding a panel longer-term. That would not involve many at the helm of the current dispute. One wonders how much that has to do with current happenings.

You're talking a lot of sense there Scutter.

Frank Murphy is viewed as public enemy number one here, but the players forget that he still has a lot of pull with wizened GAA heads, up and down the country, who still remember him as a good referee and a well respected member of the old guard. Fair enough, his intranisgence on the issue doesn't do his PR any good, but he doesn't give a toss about his PR, where as to the players it's everything.

The '08 panel think they're indespensible. They're not. A lot of them are over the hill. A lot of those over the hill are the ones to the forefront of this campaign. The younger players, despite that false show of solidarity last night (well in my view its false), are being misled and (in my view) intimidated into towing the line. I have little doubt that many of those lads would be more than willing to line out for Cork under the current management.

This is the crux of it though. The senior players would rather go down and be seen as martyrs rather than risk getting walloped by Kilkenny - which they would - or god forbid, one of their Munster rivals. I reckon they don't really have have the stomach, or the talent, for it anymore.

This is the crux of it though. The senior players would rather go down and be seen as martyrs rather than risk getting walloped by Kilkenny - which they would - or god forbid, one of their Munster rivals. I reckon they don't really have have the stomach, or the talent, for it anymore.

agreed. And even if they did, its not unprecedented to end up in a panel where you're not entirely happy about how its being run. Look at Galway over the past decade or so. Even Kilkenny in the 90s. I've never heard the likes of players going on strike, or even a whisper of a rumour to that affect in other counties. I could give umpteen examples of lads who've had personal differences with their management and these examples have had 1 of 2 outcomes - 1: they left or 2: they stayed, grinned and bore it.

I'm not really sure where the collective militancy comes from within the Cork panel. If they hadn't gone on strike, played out the year under a poor (in their opinion) manager, had a bad year, then he'd be gone at the end of the year. The way they're going about it, this impasse looks set to last forever.

If those spearheading the 'anti McCarthy' campaign were really that unhappy with him they should have walked themselves. Credibility would have remained intact. If they were proved right they could have come back under a different manager (look at John Power in Kilkenny) once one was installed.

Its just not clear what the actual issue is here though. And, as I said before, I'm not sure the players even know anymore.

I'm really not sure what to think about any of this anymore. I started off having sympathy for the players but as time goes on I find that this is diminishing rapidly. Surely their current actions go against the very nature and spirit of the game? Perhaps more so given the voluntary nature of the sport and it's emphasis on youth culture and inclusion.

At this stage it is an issue of respect...for themselves, the management structures in place and ultimately to the fans. As Scutter said they could have just kept voicing their grievances, turned out on the pitch, if the management style was that poor they would have had a terrible season anyway and McCarthy would have automatically been replaced. At this stage you can't help but wonder if this is just an excuse to pass the buck for the increasingly poor performances the older players have been displaying on the pitch.

And can someone please explain to me why it is necessary that Cork football has to suffer the same fate when it is not even their fight?

Cork are doing ok so far against Tipp 0-5 to 0-3 down

yep, they'd a decent first half. The standard of the game is quite poor though. Cork's fitness is good but the lack of experience there will prove telling in the 2nd half I reckon. Tipp should run out handy enough winners in the end. Heartening stuff by Cork though.

yep, they'd a decent first half. The standard of the game is quite poor though. Cork's fitness is good but the lack of experience there will prove telling in the 2nd half I reckon. Tipp should run out handy enough winners in the end. Heartening stuff by Cork though.

one positive in this whole debacle is the forced emergence of players like Johnston, Murphy and is it O'Mahony in defence.these may have taken a few years to have been discovered.

you are right though scutter, they are beginning to pull away now.

brought the lady to this for valentine's night.

Cork had a few handy lads. Ray Ryan centre-back (brother of Pat Ryan) looked well decent. Apparently, he was a key player for Sars last year.

Tipp forwards were horrendous in the first half though (second game in a row they have been actually), and while there are a few players out (Callinan, Eoin Kelly, Lar Corbett etc), if they can't sort out a decent half-forward line this year, we'll win nothing.

Tipp forwards were horrendous in the first half though (second game in a row they have been actually), and while there are a few players out (Callinan, Eoin Kelly, Lar Corbett etc), if they can't sort out a decent half-forward line this year, we'll win nothing.

Paul Kelly's return to form (and their playing him back in the forwards) is a huge bonus though. I saw him playing with O'Loughlins last year and he was arguably the top club performer in Kilkenny from what I saw. He made the club team of the year anyway (based on performance).

Some of the lads aren't coming on as expected though. Pa Bourke really needs to speed up his game. He has the ability, but whats all this taking an extra touch business about? Come summer when pitches are faster he'll be caught out even worse.

I went to KK-Limerick yesterday. A dire match. 2 awful teams more intent in stopping one another playing than actually playing themselves. A couple of the new faces in the Limerick backs acquitted themselves well. They still have nothing up front other than shaughs, who was really badly out of sorts yesterday. If he wasn't Limerick would have won handy.

Paul Kelly's return to form (and their playing him back in the forwards) is a huge bonus though. I saw him playing with O'Loughlins last year and he was arguably the top club performer in Kilkenny from what I saw. He made the club team of the year anyway (based on performance).

Some of the lads aren't coming on as expected though. Pa Bourke really needs to speed up his game. He has the ability, but whats all this taking an extra touch business about? Come summer when pitches are faster he'll be caught out even worse.

I went to KK-Limerick yesterday. A dire match. 2 awful teams more intent in stopping one another playing than actually playing themselves. A couple of the new faces in the Limerick backs acquitted themselves well. They still have nothing up front other than shaughs, who was really badly out of sorts yesterday. If he wasn't Limerick would have won handy.

Aye, I suppose nothing is won in February.

It is definitely great to see Paul Kelly back in action; let's not forget that he won an all-star at wing-back and gave a fantastive munster final appearance (8 points, man of match and on losing side) against cork at centre-field. I do think, he can be a great addition to the tipp forwards this year.

Looking at things optimistically, a Tipp forward line firing on all cylinders consisting of:
AN OTHER Callinan Corbett
E Kelly J O'Brien P kelly
would be fantastic. The problem Tipp consistently have is getting 5/6 forwards peaking on the same day.

In the words of my old lad "Pa Bourke will never make it". Harsh considering the lad is only 19/20, but he takes too long over the ball, wastes chances, and doesn't get into a match enough. Noel McGrath, on the other hand, will be a fantastic addition if they wait another year or two, while Seamus Hennessy could be the tough wing forward we've been waiting for.

ps isn't it fantastic to have hurling back, even if the games are crap?
have had three sunday's out of the last four out in the fresh air watching below-par inter-county fixtures that are still more entertaining than any premiership game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back