MrNorth (2 Viewers)

buffer

Remember seeing this band on the Dublin music scene a few years back,and their live performance was amazing. It seems like their doing the same in the states, supporting the Who, Bryan Adams and Journey while releasing their debut album Lifesize.
Got a copy and I have to say it's really good shit!!!!
They have a single coming out 'Speak no evil' and the video is on their site rockin tune. check it out on www.mrnorthmusic.com my guess is you will be hearing a lot more of this band.......

They are a f**kig amazing band. They were signed to RCA for a while, but got dropped in the merger, so now they've released Lifesize independantly. It's a brilliant album, and their live show is incredible.

Hope they come pley in Ireland again soon, New Yourk is a bit of a trek just for one gig!

Andrew

They are around a very long time aren't they. They were out when i was at college about 95 or so. Never heard their music. Are they not around a bit long to be in the 'one to watch' category? Good luck anyhow.

I hear ya!
hopefully they will get home and play a gig soon.I suppose they are trying to crack the U.S. market and presume they will tour for a while. seem to be getting the big gigs alright!

95? I played a gig with them in '93 I think. Maybe earlier.
They weren't too good then, but then neither were the band I played in.
And it was 11 or 12 years ago.

old said:
They weren't too good then, but then neither were the band I played in.
And it was 11 or 12 years ago.
they only formed in 95 according to their info. Anyway did ye listen to their stuff now? hav'nt heard a rock album as good come out of Dublin for a long time. Actually its the best album I've bought in the last couple of years.

old said:
I'm pretty sure I was at that gig. 92 or 93 in the Attic...? I remember the singer from Mr. North wearing comedy patchwork trousers... What was your band called again? Was that in the days of "Green Space Alien" or later?

Mr North's website says "Formed in Dublin in the late 1990's" - the old trick of trying to look younger than you actually are...

Incidentally I was playing gigs back then with (or at least of the same stage as):

Schroeders cat (I think that's what they were called) - later NPB/el diablo
Dave Kitt
Dave layde (we shared a keyboard player and possibly drummer i believe)
Das Madman, later to become the jimmy cake
Bashee Bazooks (that is a misspelling, but they later included Don 'Hop' Hoey)
Mixtwitch - they're still around
God Magic Riddle (including Donnocha costello, who played with Mr North I believe)

...so we're all around ages. Trinity in the mid 1990s was a hotbed of talent. During that time I also worked in Age Action shop with Gemma Hayes and delivered Brian McFadden's post (and Glen hansard's).

My first gig was with Pyrex Death on 23 February 1993.

yeah yeah yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! blah blah blah!!!!!!!!!!!
what do you think of the music??

I don't think Shroeder's Cat became the NPB... As for Mr North's music all I remember was them covering Purple Rain and having one song that went on for ages and featured long show-offey guitar, drum, and bass solos. They were good musicians but the music wasn't anything special.

Hiya Figs. Aye, that was Eoin's (the other Eoin!) awful band that I got tricked into playing 3 gigs with. Come to think of it, I had to go back to work so I missed the Mr Norths that night. I was working for TCD ents for £15 a night so I had my priorities straight.
Schroeder's Cat are now Schroedersound with one less person. And they went to UCD. As did Kittser. First time I saw him playing was in the Buttery though. Maybe 96 or 97. Donnacha Costello played with Mr North?

their site is covered with a lot of their debut album. Live studio recordings and their new video, figs and old if you didnt really get a listen before, have a listen now, give us your opinion of what we can all judge on not stuff from the past which we cant hear, incidentally when I first saw them their stuff was excellent........that was slattery's 98 and I remember smiley bolger commenting that these lads need to record and get something out there.Well hear it is!

Donnacha played with god magic riddle - his own band. Can't remember what the NPB precursor was - I had thought they were called schroeder's cat but I'm obviously worng - had a really tall girl in the band as I 'member. Kittser didn't go to UCD - he was in my class in trinners.

Anywho...

I think NPB used to be called sourpuss and had a female vocalist at the time

Shroder's Cat were amazing (well I thought so anyways) and yer man now plays as Shroder sound.

I don't think Donnchadh played in Bazouki Chillum (or whatever they were called)

Sourpuss, that's it - thank yew.

D Hoey played in bashoi bazuks (spelling!) - I'm certain of that.

I picture us all being interviewed beside a mixing desk* as part of some documentary in years to come trying to piece together the indie scene of the mid-90s when, as Smilie Bolger once said to me, 'there was a whole lot of rockin' and rollin' going on.

* intellectuals/journalists get interviewed beside bookcases, musicians beside mixing desks and politicians beside bookcases full of bound volumes of the acts of the Oireachtas.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
D Hoey played in bashoi bazuks (spelling!) - I'm certain of that.
Tis true.

In fairness though, I don't think any college music scene type thing could've been half as deadly as the DIT battle of the bands circa late 90s. 'Twas like the Eurovision come to Eamonn Dorans (or the Mean Fiddler...the memory,it fades...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back