MR SCRUFF at The Spiegeltent next Fri 22nd (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
CrawDaddy & Dublin Fringe Festival presents…

MR SCRUFF
(3.5 hour set)

Fri 22nd Sept 2006. 10pm - 1:30am

Tickets €22.50 from Fringe Box Office.
www.fringefest.com or 1850 374 643

The Spiegeltent is a decadent 1920s style Ballroom that sits on the water at George's Dock, IFSC as part of the Dublin Fringe Festival. Next Friday's show features Mancunian funk soul house maestro MR SCRUFF who will play one of his now-legendary eclectic 3.5 hour sets that covers just about every type of decent music from classical to hiphop.

MR SCRUFF

Once Mr Scruff was plain Andy Carthy. And then he wasn’t… Sometime artist, DJ, Peak District wanderer, and Manchester’s very own very own, Mr Carthy started his musical career a mere six years ago.

Formerly a fine art student part-time at Sheffield University, Scruff decided to explore his strange passion both in rounded line drawings and music. An electro-ska-hip-hop kid and bedroom bod from what hip hop fellas call time, Carthy started making tapes in 1983 using the very finest in pause button technology. His passion for hearing music that he couldn’t hear out anywhere else led him into the world of DJing - first of all as a kid with one deck - then hearing electro albums and being determined to mix. The result was that by 1994 he was out DJing in clubs.

Despite DJing being his first and foremost love, Scruff had always messed about with the recording process; age 8 he started making up tapes of pretend radio shows (oh where are those tapes now?) and then faffing about on drum machines; by the age of 13 he was having a laugh with mates being in silly bands with silly names. The very end result of all this was a good few vinyl outings on Rob’s Records and Pleasure, including the now-legendary track, “Chicken In A Box” - simple maybe, but simply bloody barmy-good. “A happy accident,” he claims. “Well, more like an educated guess...” Whilst his total love of DJing informs his music-making ability, he doesn’t consciously try to make something that will work on the dancefloor; he’s more likely to want to know “Do you like it? Does it make you go wibbly. Does it frimble?” Questions we should all be asking ourselves.

Since his first vinyl excursion he has recorded for over 25 labels including Warp, Sirkus, Disorient, Blood & Fire, Cup Of Tea and, of course, Ninja Tune. He has remixed Nightmares On Wax and Bim Sherman and refused to remix Nigel Kennedy. He’s worked with Mark Rae and Grand Central. He has DJed all over the bloody shop, turning down more gigs than he takes on. If they won't let him have a long spot, he doesn't bother; a 'take-the-money-and-run' merchant he certainly is not. He has dug in crates and found obscure records with references to marine fauna. He’s done bloody loads, basically, all of it with more than a vague hint of humour. France Telecom (the French equivalent of BT) were suitably impressed and used his single "Get A Move On" as part of their national TV advertising campaign, as did Volvo in N. America - the Scruffy one didn't see it as something to get excited about. And he's got more fans. Most notably, Madonna recently said in Mixmag of music she was playing at home, "And Mr Scruff I love, that weird little album ('Keep It Unreal') that's got so much personality". Mr Scruff was characteristically unimpressed.

A brief summary for those who always want more:

Residencies: Monthly @ Keep It Unreal, Music Box, Manchester; ‘Etch’ @ Concorde II, monthly in Brighton;
Regular spots: The Forum, Kentish Town, London; “Hot Pot Radio” show weekly on Key 103 with Treva Whateva.
Tours: Two huge full-length UK “Keep It Unreal” tours, taking over venues everywhere.
Preferred set length: 5 or 6 hours
Favourite colour: unknown
Influences (in order of appearance): - Blues, 2 Tone, Ska, Nasty pop music, Electro, Hip Hop, Soul, House, Funk, Jazz, Reggae
The Mr Scruff Master Plan: “I’m not trying to do anything very specific”
Addictions: vinyl - likes to educate himself in all music - if he hasn’t got any Indian film music then when he’s got the money he’ll make sure he gets some.
Drawings: you must have seen the characteristic Mr Scruff line drawings which have graced the pages of many magazines from Jockey Slut to The Face. He's recently taken this one step further by animating them into video form.

See Mr Scruff’s website for up-to-date gig info at www.mrscruff.com

So is anyone going? I am. Cant wait. This tent any use? What beers they serve? Will i get in without any trousers on?

I was interested until I read the €22.50 bit. The last few times I've seen Mr Scruff he hasn't impressed, he seems to have watered down the stuff he plays big time, he used to be alot more adventerous.

I was interested until I read the €22.50 bit. The last few times I've seen Mr Scruff he hasn't impressed, he seems to have watered down the stuff he plays big time, he used to be alot more adventerous.

hmmmm....i thought he was deadly at EP 05. Although i was very drunk. I fancy this one cos of the venue and the fact that i want to smoke loads of green and dance like a lunatic for a few hours and have a goof.

i do remember alot of cheesy old school hip hop from his last set that bored me. I'm hoping for a more soulful funky set on Friday.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back