MP3s (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Gav
  • Start date
  • Replies 30
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 3
However, this is something that's already happening: lots of bands are giving free MP3 on their sites which are often full of ads and shit... including the usual link to Amazon where the full version CD is on sale

I do agree the ads companies wouldn't have a major control, once they have a certain number of contacts they should be happy.

I think the problem would be getting enough people looking at the site. You'd have to be fairly established to have enough people logging on to be able to sell it to someone - like a few thousand a day maybe? I dunno what people charge for Internet ads but I think it's measured in "thousands of clicks"...

And it'd defo make you vulnerable to someone pulling money on a band if they did something the advertiser didn't like...

Unless you got someone to pay squillions for d'love of d'music :D:D :D :D

bullshit

the idea that mp3 will replace CD/vinyl = bullshit.

the people who collect music (like, actually regularly go out and say "hi dave and julie, got the new june of 44 yet?") are not going to switch: music is far more than just sound. the record-as-art-piece is too important. i'd never, for example, get godspeed you black emperor! stuff on mp3 - their vinyl is stunning as a piece of craftsmanship in itself.

the people who don't collect music will do whatever comes to be accepted after it has reached a point of critical mass. there's simply too much infrastructure involved in the selling of cds at the moment for it to be torn down for shitty mp3s, at least in the short-to-medium term.

if anything, mp3 will be used by the first group to 'test' music before going out and buying anyway, and the second will do whatever ends up being in the interests of the big four record companies, which will not involve abandonment of accepted business models for some time yet.

a far more interesting point of debate is this: CDs changed the nature of what an 'album' was. fundamentally, albums got longer: what would have been a 'double album' in the 70's in four separate sections of vinyl is now a single entity on one piece of plastic. e.g. spiritualized; 'ladies and gentlemen...', sonic youth; 'a thousand leaves', loads more. the 'average' album is now 50 minutes plus. what will mp3 do to the concept of what an album is? technically, mp3s can be as long as you like. combined with something like an apple ipod (3+ hours of music on mp3), the scope for redefining the constructed mythology underlying the selling of rock'n'roll to you in accepted forms (single/album) has to change.

comments?

Re: bullshit

Originally posted by feer

the people who collect music (like, actually regularly go out and say "hi dave and julie, got the new june of 44 yet?") are not going to switch: music is far more than just sound. the record-as-art-piece is too important. i'd never, for example, get godspeed you black emperor! stuff on mp3 - their vinyl is stunning as a piece of craftsmanship in itself.

I agree that for most purveyors of good music that vinyl is still number one.I only buy cd's but thats because i don't have a record player and i haven't really settled down anywhere long enough to be able to collect vinyl.
But consider this,how many more are there out there like you?The sad,sad truth is that the vast majority of the music buying public will buy from HMV,Virgin etc.The vast majority of these are 10 to 18 year olds* and lets face it,if HMV want to push a new format on these kids,they will lap it up.They don't give a shit how their music comes.

I do,i like artwork on covers,i like the ideas and the humour of some inlay cards.But this will not continue.We have to realise that "Invisible Music" is the next thing,by invisible i mean not a physical entity.

It may not be mp3 that replaces cd's/vinyl,but it could be mp4 which i believe is in development,if not,then mp5 or mp6 etc etc...

But you don't have to switch to mp3,as long as there is a demand for vinyl,it will be available,but eventually,it will run dry because the major labels simply won't be pressing them anymore.It'll be too expensive.How enticing is it for them to have no printing costs,no labour costs and all the rest of it.They'll have millions more to pump into promotion which is where the real meat of the music industry is now.

*source.....i made it up, but it's probably true.

Re: Re: bullshit

Originally posted by nine

It may not be mp3 that replaces cd's/vinyl,but it could be mp4 which i believe is in development,if not,then mp5 or mp6 etc etc...

Yeah, I do agree the limits of Mp3 (Quality, size, downloading time, etc...) are gonna be overcome quite soon and the aged-11 Johnny Smith who'll rush to buy the new 2005 Atomic Kitten's "Kick Ass" single (probably unaware it's a cover of a Lisa Minelli's 1981 hit ;) ) won't even know what Vinyl is.

On the other hand, what about HMV, Virgin, CD manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, etc... ?
It's not likely they will sit back and wait for their business to be blown up by "intangible" music and that's a big lobby: most of 'em are owned by the big 4. If they decide not to release albums on MP3, 4, 5 or 6, this would be something restricted to indipendent productions, don't you think?

Re: bullshit

Originally posted by feer

the people who don't collect music will do whatever comes to be accepted after it has reached a point of critical mass. there's simply too much infrastructure involved in the selling of cds at the moment for it to be torn down for shitty mp3s, at least in the short-to-medium term.

short term you're probably right. long term the music buying majority (in hmv, virgin etc.) will be copying digital music in-shop and on-line onto some form of portable player\disk\memory stick. there'll still be plenty like us that go into road to get the next constellation recs. release on vinyl but i reckon long term the digital format in one shape or another will be the end of the CD as we know it.

I agree there, I will be sad to see 'physical' music like CD's etc disapear but its going to happen at some point. Although I will be buying CD's to the last!

But I don't think this will nessesarily have an impact on the length of an album, I have lots of CD's where the album is 12-13 songs lasting 30-40 minutes, a lot of bands still release stuff on all formats, so it had to be short enough for two sides of 12" . I think an MP3 album would be just the same length or shorter than the vinyl or CD. Vinyl often has an extra track on the end and CD's have videos and other gimmicks.

while i love sampling music on mp3 nothing can replace buying in a shop (or pestering the owners for certain releases lol). really can't see myself ever walking into hmv and downloading music onto some tiny little gadget. also i've just got into buying vinyl regularly which is fantastic :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back