you wont be able open a bank acc till you have a billing address

no 2 ways about it

find you local Citizens Advice beurau?

they'll tell you everything

oh and dont call sandwiches sambos

its racist

Citizens' Advice Bureau. Lovely

Sandwiches, not sambos, lovely.
bring an irish bank statement, and a passport to the bank and they'll open an account for you. well barclays will anyway, that's who i bank with. they're grand sure

pps number can take a while. ring up and book an interview asap. you won't be able to work otherwise. can take up to ten weeks for them to assign you a number.

orange mobile are alright. i just use pay as you go

don't go with BT for broadband. they're useless cunts. ive spent the last week shouting at some guy in india because they stopped my broadband for no reason without telling me

did you find a gaff yet?

watch out for crap housemates. my two are a nag and a ghost
Who do I ring up for a PPS number?

I'll go with Orange, thanks. I'll sort out a pay as you go tomorrow.

Barclays sound cool, I'll do that.

Haven't sorted a gaff out yet, staying on a mate's couch in Wimbeldon for a night or two, while I look for a short lease (think I'm getting a gaff with a mate in October). Hoping to be living near you, Hackney sounds cool.

Citizens' Advice Bureau. Lovely

Sandwiches, not sambos, lovely.

Who do I ring up for a PPS number?

I'll go with Orange, thanks. I'll sort out a pay as you go tomorrow.

Barclays sound cool, I'll do that.

Haven't sorted a gaff out yet, staying on a mate's couch in Wimbeldon for a night or two, while I look for a short lease (think I'm getting a gaff with a mate in October). Hoping to be living near you, Hackney sounds cool.

contact your local jobcentre about PPS no. http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html

talk to them about any benefits you might be able to receive. even if you're working you may be entitled to partial housing benefit

hackney is nice. i live on the main road leading up to hackney central. it's noisy and crowded but i like it. you can also get quiet residential areas around there. i would recommend looking around victoria park, bethnal green, london fields, broadway market. all within 5 - 10 mins from each other but pretty varied. you'll find something that suits you

contact your local jobcentre about PPS no. http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html

talk to them about any benefits you might be able to receive. even if you're working you may be entitled to partial housing benefit

hackney is nice. i live on the main road leading up to hackney central. it's noisy and crowded but i like it. you can also get quiet residential areas around there. i would recommend looking around victoria park, bethnal green, london fields, broadway market. all within 5 - 10 mins from each other but pretty varied. you'll find something that suits you
Cheers, appreciate your advice

I'm moving over with two other people soon. We were thinking about maybe Brixton. Madness?

Also since there are three of us we'll hardly get a place near to all our jobs. Is the commuting really that bad? I'll probably be working in the City because that's where you get big bucks for being a secretary.

What about this ten week wait for a PPS number? Do you absolutely have to have it? All the jobs I'm looking at want someone to start ASAP. Would they turn a blind eye to me having no PPS if I told them I had applied for it and was just waiting?

Lots of good advice on this thread about everyday things like banks and internet, thanks guys. I'm a bit freaked out now though after reading that bit about the PPS number!

national insurance numbers are issued through the job centres. I presumed you'd need an address to get an appointment. If you had access to a temporary address you could probably get an appointment in advance and save yourself time

im one of the said people frona mentioned whose moving over, was thinkin of bringin the car, would it just sit on the street rotting away or would it be usefull?
reckon brixton is fairly good, was only there for a few days before,but it seemed fairly bangin, would ya pick up any cash in hand work while yer waitin for the pps number?
in general whats the job situation like? seems to be a bit of work in my trade, hear the post office are taking on alot of temp staff, but I cant figure out if the unions have decided if theyre scabs yet so thats probably a no -go.

any advice appreciated!
sure if worst comes to the worst im sure we could all turn up to wobblers with sleeping bags

im one of the said people frona mentioned whose moving over, was thinkin of bringin the car, would it just sit on the street rotting away or would it be usefull?
reckon brixton is fairly good, was only there for a few days before,but it seemed fairly bangin, would ya pick up any cash in hand work while yer waitin for the pps number?
in general whats the job situation like? seems to be a bit of work in my trade, hear the post office are taking on alot of temp staff, but I cant figure out if the unions have decided if theyre scabs yet so thats probably a no -go.

any advice appreciated!
sure if worst comes to the worst im sure we could all turn up to wobblers with sleeping bags

what's your trade?

i think a car would be pointless unless you really need it for work. if you live in brixton and work within zones 1 - 5 then public transport or a bike should be grand.

pps number shouldn't take too long if you apply straight away. you'll be eligible for the scratcher while you're looking for work.

not sure where you'd find cash in hand jobs, i never really bothered looking

what's your trade?

i think a car would be pointless unless you really need it for work. if you live in brixton and work within zones 1 - 5 then public transport or a bike should be grand.

pps number shouldn't take too long if you apply straight away. you'll be eligible for the scratcher while you're looking for work.

not sure where you'd find cash in hand jobs, i never really bothered looking

cheers for the reply, im a signwriter by trade. the sister in law reckons you can get a temporary pps number fairly handy.

I used to live in Brixton. Is good crack but if your on this forum I would recommend living east. honestly. I reckon you'd be travelling east all the time to come to things.

my 2 bits

:)

you can work on a temporary NI number its a mixture of your initiatls and date of birth. Just can't claim emergency tax back from this I think (not completely sure there may be a way)

you can work on a temporary NI number its a mixture of your initiatls and date of birth. Just can't claim emergency tax back from this I think (not completely sure there may be a way)
Yeah, my sister mentioned that. 123PADDY she said it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back