Moving to London (1 Viewer)

There are a few threads on here about the Pain in the Hoop of setting up a bank account in the UK.

I had a bit of a nightmare when I moved over and only managed to get Bank of Ireland UK to sort me out with an account and they would only do so because I was earning over a certain amount and was a BOI customer already etc. I had no credit history or proper address at first and none of the other Banks were interested - boo hoo.

HSBC would seem to be your best bet but they may get you to sign up to a fee account initially. - http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/...ssionid=0000-BiSduY0HlGHqcWAA9a9UtG:12ntf14vj

good luck.

I found HSBC the best too. They give you a basic account and then you upgrade after six months usage. If you know anyone whose an existing customer its also easier.

You'll need to apply for an NI number through your local jobs club. You can work on a temporary number, depends if you're planning to stay or not if it's worth your while.

This may be a dumb question, but if I just turn up in the UK with an Irish passport, is that enough for getting tax/social security numbers and a bank account?

Recommendations on best part of London to live without people being shot outside your bedroom window?

Thanks!
i was crashing in a mate's gaff when i first moved over so i couldn't really provide proof of address for the bank. i went to barclays and explained this to them. i only had to show a passport and a bank statement from ireland to set up an account. a passport was enough to get a national insurance number.

as for good places to live depends what you want i suppose. east london is cheap and has a lot of crime but there's a good music and art scene. i've never had trouble though and never felt unsafe in my area. all the violence is inter gang related. out west is quieter but there's not that much going on. a good bit more expensive too. i live east and work out west so they're the two main areas i spend most of my time in

oh and i dunno what your situation is jobwise but if you're looking for work i'd reccommend applying for the dole straight away. i kept putting it off cos i thought i'd find a job a lot sooner than i did. i got myself into a pretty sticky situation financially which i'm only now getting myself out of. london is really expensive. i have an unpaid internship so i've applied for every benefit under the sun. the dole is only £60 per week here which sucks. they take ages to process too so that's why i'd apply straight away if you're over here looking for work.

This is a good website for lettings in London:
http://www.net-lettings.co.uk/

It gives you an idea of where places are; what prices you'd expect to pay etc.

Just adding to what the Kenosha Kid said, the South and East are rough, but have good art scenes. North and West are pricey... although North london seems to have a fair bit going on. The West is a bit posh.

Commuting in London is pretty horrible... so, if you can, try to sort out a place to live close enough to where you'll work.

Thanks all! I'll be starting a job near King's Cross, so I'll try to live a bit north so.

We're all in euroland now Cormac! Nationalism is dead.
live up in stoke newington /stamford hill. grand spot. close to kings cross, lolo on here lives up that way. i been out there a good few times. i liked it up there

live up in stoke newington /stamford hill. grand spot. close to kings cross, lolo on here lives up that way. i been out there a good few times. i liked it up there

is it as much celebsville as Lolo makes it out to be?

stoke newington's not too far from me. it's nice enough there. i went for a walk around there last night. large orthodox jewish community there isn't there? well i saw loads last night anyway. i'd like to stop and chat to one of them cos i'm quite interested in their culture but they seem quite insular and unapproachable

Whats Vauxhall like? And how close is it to centre? Ive a mate offering me a place there for a April, strongly considering it.

I've traveled the world and still haven't a breeze about London/England, quite shameful really

Think I'm moving over in September. Fucking shitting it. Probably going to live in the East direction, but I'm pretty nervous about bad people. Is Hackney alright? Anywhere else nice in that vicinity? Would living by myself be prohibitively expensive?

I registered with reed.co.uk to keep an eye on jobs. Looking at something like payroll/accounts payable because that's where most of my experience is. Any other recruitment sites worth while? There wasn't much on The Guardian site, which I found disappointing, since I use that site for everything else.

Gumtree my man for gaffs?

Sincerely,
Wobbler

Think I'm moving over in September. Fucking shitting it. Probably going to live in the East direction, but I'm pretty nervous about bad people. Is Hackney alright? Anywhere else nice in that vicinity? Would living by myself be prohibitively expensive?

I registered with reed.co.uk to keep an eye on jobs. Looking at something like payroll/accounts payable because that's where most of my experience is. Any other recruitment sites worth while? There wasn't much on The Guardian site, which I found disappointing, since I use that site for everything else.

Gumtree my man for gaffs?

Sincerely,
Wobbler
you should move to hackney. i live in downtown hackers and it's totally fine. not too expensive and the crack dealers keep out of your way if you ignore them. that's not a joke btw. east london is your man. you'll find a gaff on gumtree no probs. as ernesto said stoke newington is quite nice. 'bout a 15 minute walk from hackney central. you'd be looking at bewteen £350 - £450 to share depending on the size of the flat. not sure about living on your own.

just live near fizz. close enough for him to shelter you under his hotwings. or live with him. Gumtree is yer man alright. you have to be vigilant when looking for gaffs too by the way. worst thing ever. pain in arse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back