Moving to London (1 Viewer)

I live in Holloway/Tufnell Park, which apparently used to be a big Irish area but now is only noticeable due to the pubs having Irish names and the drunks shouting "here boss" at you. It's a bloody fantastic bit of London to live in though - 10 mins walk from Camden, lovely tree lined quiet streets, cheaper than Angel but dead close, and the apparently supertrendy Dalston (cos it's cheap and there's loads of gigs) right on your doorstep. It's not particularly expensive either, especially for zone2. Top of the hill is highgate as well, which is like a small english village smack bang in the middle of London, with a ruddy great park beside it (Hampstead).

Took me ages to find a nice flat at a decent price though, there's some right bastards letting places in London.

I'm probably heading back to Ireland in a month or two so I'm gonna stick my room up on Gumtree - so if anyone is looking around that time feel free to get in touch. I know what a git it is finding a room.

Took me ages to find a nice flat at a decent price though, there's some right bastards letting places in London.

I'm probably heading back to Ireland in a month or two so I'm gonna stick my room up on Gumtree - so if anyone is looking around that time feel free to get in touch. I know what a git it is finding a room.
If we're talking around September, if your rent is reasonable and your gaff is nice, we might have ourselves a deal

Moving in September. Think I've decided that I'm going to look for a flat share in Hackney. Having a poke around gumtree. Should I be put off by people who describe themselves as "creative types". Is that a euphamism for cunt? If so, maybe Hackney isn't such a good idea, because there's a lot of cunts.

I'm genuinely wondering.

Is it Nathan Barley types who advertise house shares in Hackney with "...may suit creative types"?
not really. i lived with a journo and an architect, which i guess you'd call creative professions, and apart from one being a piss head they were sound and down to earth. i don't think the ad i answered mentioned the words "creative types" specifically but it said looking for someone in their 20s into music/films/books etc. their the type of people you will end up living with in hackney.

i think as oh shit said earlier there's a lot of young people in skinny jeans around hackney and yeah a lot of them work in arts/music/fashion/film. it goes with the territory. i enjoy it though. people your own age with similar interests. always parties going on. you can't help but meet new people at weekends. loads of incredible girls. good bars. nice resturants. some cunts. some sound people. if you think people like that will annoy you then hackney's probably not for you.

not really. i lived with a journo and an architect, which i guess you'd call creative professions, and apart from one being a piss head they were sound and down to earth. i don't think the ad i answered mentioned the words "creative types" specifically but it said looking for someone in their 20s into music/films/books etc. their the type of people you will end up living with in hackney.

i think as oh shit said earlier there's a lot of young people in skinny jeans around hackney and yeah a lot of them work in arts/music/fashion/film. it goes with the territory. i enjoy it though. people your own age with similar interests. always parties going on. you can't help but meet new people at weekends. loads of incredible girls. good bars. nice resturants. some cunts. some sound people. if you think people like that will annoy you then hackney's probably not for you.
That's exactly the answer I was hoping for. My priorities seem similiar enough to yours. I'll carry on the search in that neck of the woods.

Still, I'll probably avoid places that emphasise "chilledness", "creativity" and all of that.

Thanks for your advice.

well said. some of my mates wear skinny jeans, god forbid.

Story with short term leases?

I'm getting a gaff with a mate in late October which means I'll have to rent somewhere for 6-8 weeks.

Is Gumtree still my man? Will I have to pay much over the odds?

I'm getting a gaff with a mate in late October which means I'll have to rent somewhere for 6-8 weeks.

Might be worth booking in to a hotel.

I think short-term leases are quite expensive.

I had a look on Gumtree, not so bad.........

£100 a week inc bills etc and theres a few of em

http://www.gumtree.com/london/91/42889391.html

for example

Really? For that long? I'll compare prices but that would surprise me. The thoughts of living in a hotel that I can afford to live in doesn't really appeal. But still, if short term leases are that expensive..

Thanks though

Have you got a nice bottom? You could live near King's Cross for a few weeks. Make a bit of money too.

And you might meet pock-marked celebrities like:
pleat.bmp

and
gordon-ramsay-conan.jpg

Moving tomorrow, nervous enough.

Will it be hassle setting up a bank account without proof of address? What should I bring along? I have a bank statement from home, passport, payslip from my old job... Anything else I should consider bringing?

How do I go about setting up a PPS number over there?

Which mobile company are the soundest?

Anything else I should be worrying about?

Thanks love,
Wobbler

you wont be able open a bank acc till you have a billing address

no 2 ways about it

find you local Citizens Advice beurau?

they'll tell you everything

oh and dont call sandwiches sambos

its racist

Will it be hassle setting up a bank account without proof of address? What should I bring along? I have a bank statement from home, passport, payslip from my old job... Anything else I should consider bringing?

Thanks love,
Wobbler

Thanks love,
Wobbler

bring an irish bank statement, and a passport to the bank and they'll open an account for you. well barclays will anyway, that's who i bank with. they're grand sure

pps number can take a while. ring up and book an interview asap. you won't be able to work otherwise. can take up to ten weeks for them to assign you a number.

orange mobile are alright. i just use pay as you go

don't go with BT for broadband. they're useless cunts. ive spent the last week shouting at some guy in india because they stopped my broadband for no reason without telling me

did you find a gaff yet?

watch out for crap housemates. my two are a nag and a ghost

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back