more traffic chaos in Dublin (1 Viewer)

panckko

OPW is proposing changes to Phoenix Park which will have negative implications on traffic throughout Dublin. This is especially bad for people who use the Phoenix Park in the morning and evening to drive to/from work.

You can read more about it here http://www.opw.ie/

If you are opposed to further traffic chaos in this GodForsaken city/country of ours please fill in their feedback form and let OPW Commissioner David Byers know about it. Or contact your local TD.

Thanks

I say only let cars in for couples who want to have nookie there, otehrwise ban em all, animals like hedgehogs and squirrels can get killed also deers get scared and cars are smoggy.

OPW is proposing changes to Phoenix Park which will have negative implications on traffic throughout Dublin. This is especially bad for people who use the Phoenix Park in the morning and evening to drive to/from work.

If you are opposed to further traffic chaos in this GodForsaken city/country of ours please fill in their feedback form and let OPW Commissioner David Byers know about it. Or contact your local TD.

Thanks

Waste of fucking time. Seriously. It's a done deal and a load of shit.

Welcome to the Govt.

They really believe they're doing the right thing. With no consultation and no real concept. All southsiders, by the way. Who don't use the park or environs.

Waste of fucking time. Seriously. It's a done deal and a load of shit.

Welcome to the Govt.

They really believe they're doing the right thing. With no consultation and no real concept. All southsiders, by the way. Who don't use the park or environs.
typical. this country is run by idiots

Thanks

or take the bus.

Braess' paradox, credited to the mathematician Dietrich Braess, states that adding extra capacity to a network, when the moving entities selfishly choose their route, can in some cases reduce overall performance. This is because the equilibrium of such a system is not necessarily optimal.
The paradox is stated as follows: "For each point of a road network, let there be given the number of cars starting from it, and the destination of the cars.

Under these conditions one wishes to estimate the distribution of traffic flow. Whether one street is preferable to another depends not only on the quality of the road, but also on the density of the flow. If every driver takes the path that looks most favorable to him, the resultant running times need not be minimal. Furthermore, it is indicated by an example that an extension of the road network may cause a redistribution of the traffic that results in longer individual running times."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braess'_paradox

movie-critical-mass.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I'm all in favour of having a car-free park. If it's done right. But the problem is, it will just add to the chaos on the already over-crowded outskirts of the park. If this was part of an overall traffic re-structure, then it might not be a bad thing. The plans for the park make no sense. They will result in more traffic on one road.

Plus, making a big car park beside the zoo seems a bit wrong. It'll mean digging up some of the park to put in tarmac. And I doubt they'll make it free (though at least it should be cheap - no guarantees though). The park was bequested to the people as is. With a proviso that it wasn't to be touched. We've already ploughed through it to make the zoo bigger. Now a car park to facilitate the zoo?

It's been done with no consultation with anyone. The people, the roads authority, the council.

It's ill-concieved and makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all in favour of having a car-free park. If it's done right. But the problem is, it will just add to the chaos on the already over-crowded outskirts of the park. If this was part of an overall traffic re-structure, then it might not be a bad thing. The plans for the park make no sense. They will result in more traffic on one road.

Plus, making a big car park beside the zoo seems a bit wrong. It'll mean digging up some of the park to put in tarmac. And I doubt they'll make it free (though at least it should be cheap - no guarantees though). The park was bequested to the people as is. With a proviso that it wasn't to be touched. We've already ploughed through it to make the zoo bigger. Now a car park to facilitate the zoo?

It's been done with no consultation with anyone. The people, the roads authority, the council.

It's ill-concieved and makes no sense.

exactly. its all a big, contradictory mess.

make life easier for the deer ------ ?
run a (environmentalists take note)
double-decker bus from one end to the other!

build a car-park beside the zoo?
ban parking so they can charge for it (probably)?

this is no use to anyone. not even the wildlife

The whole of the Northside is in bits because of ill-conceived "traffic measures".

I take it you haven't actually tried to get a bus from Blanchardstown or beyond in the last three years then?

Anywhere from forty minutes to two and a half hours on a good day. Standing.

That, of course, is if the bus comes.

The whole of the Northside is in bits because of ill-conceived "traffic measures".

an interpretation of the Braess' paradox from my earlier post is that more routes (such as through the park) can actually decrease overall effectiveness of the road network.

Things is, I'm kind of okay with the no traffic thru the park bit, but only if it's in conjunction with proper procedures and agreements and studies to make sure that it doesn't fuck up the rest of the network. There should never have been a major thoroughfare thru the park; at least not for that volume of traffic. It's not what the road was meant for and goes against what the park was meant to be.

But you can't just close off what is now an important artery just because someone makes a decision that it's best for the deer, etc. (read: we can make more money out of the zoo). The people who came up with this proposal haven't a clue what the outcome will be and nor do they care. Their hearts are in the right place (well, most of them). But they don't use the park. Not like we do.

It hasn't been very well thought out.

is it true there has been no consultation? one of the pdf's says its a display copy which would suggest, well, it was on display.

also, it seems that this study is in itself a consultation document and is not a final plan.

but yeah, traffic in dublin needs to be looked at from a city wide perspective, because small solutions wont help the larger picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back