The Queen (1 Viewer)

As I said in my post the 200 million figure I quoted does not account for tourism revenue, even if you were of the opinion that they are of no tourism benefit to the UK they still pay for themselves 5 times over.

Whoops. I misread your original post, apologies. However (as you imply yourself) these lands owned by the Royal family can be just as productive in public hands, without being overseen by a monarchy.

It's explained in that blog post I linked to. Ever since George III the monarch has signed over the economic rights to lands owned by the crown in exchange for the money that they in turn receive from the state (at this stage that's the £37.5m that was mentioned earlier), that's an amount that's guarunteed to cover the expenses of them being the royal family and then the government exploits the lands to generate whatever income they can which at this stage is vastly in excess of what they pay. I think that Anarcho Munk was saying that as the lands obviously have some sort of economic value regardless of who owns them if the UK government decided to tell the royals to fuck off and just took the lands they would still continue to have the same ecnomic value*. Thing is the ownership of them is in a sort of hazy legal limbo as they aren't actually owned by the state, or by the monarch, they're owned by "The Crown" which is a bit of a nebulous concept (though I'd love it if it meant taht some landlord in Belfast secretly owned it).

* I'm not actually sure what "the lands" referred to in the post are, they could be forests or other natural resources, or property for all I know.

There was a piece in yesterdays indo about what 'the lands' actually are,off the top of my head its something like 250,000 acres of agricultural land,19,000 of forests,most of the city of london and over half the foreshore around the coast amongst other things.

I suppose i was thinking in terms of that time cameron nearly sold off 15% of the uk forests to private interests, if the land was in public hands, they would be considering selling to private interest.

oh dear

The Irish Times said:
OUTSPOKEN SINGER Morrissey has entered the debate about the Queen’s visit by saying the best thing she could do is hand back the “six counties to the Irish people” so that Ireland could be a “nation once again”.The former Smiths singer said the refusal of the UK to do so was “fascism in full flow”.
Morrissey, the son of Irish parents who grew up in Manchester, has a long track record of making inflammatory comments about Ireland. He praised the Brighton bombers who attempted to kill Margaret Thatcher in 1984 and was lauded in An Phoblacht.
In an article to be published in Hot Press magazine, he calls the visit a “palace PR campaign to re-invent the Windsors”. He also refers to the IRA hunger strikes and says the Queen should have dismissed Margaret Thatcher and intervened to save Bobby Sands’s life.
“If the Queen had any human feelings for the Sands family or other hunger strikers then she did not express them,” he writes.
The royal family, he says, are protected from investigations by “ridiculous stories of trivia and wedding dresses and on-again-off-again soap-drama romances”.
Morrissey’s republican credentials are well established. The Smiths called one of their albums The Queen is Dead. He struck a more conciliatory note about his dual identity in his 2004 song Irish Blood, English Heart.

I see Trinity College is on the Queen's itinerary, does Jill Hives; still post here? Has she got citizenship yet? Kill the Queen and you can be Irish 4 life

Jesus, I make one anti-monarchist joke and thumped breaks for half an hour,

#humorous

Hives is still there. I think they paid her extra not to come into work today.

Bah

morrissey-736934.jpg

It took me until I was about 25 before 'indie' meant anything except 'Shed 7'.

yeah, so far so good.

some spa said there was a bomb in fairview park.

FAIRVIEW FUCKING PARK? miles away from anywhere near where queenie is going (well its near enough to croker but not that near).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back