Minutes from last night (1 Viewer)

Anyone mind if I stick me oar in now?

This will probably seem strange to long time visitors here, since for the last 2.5 years I've had a policy of not giving coverage to non-independent gigs (with two exceptions, I think), but bear with me...

I reckon you lot should try to remember what the focus of this list of yours is supposed to be - promoting local music. If the whole idea here is to attract attention to this scene (I use that term very, very loosely) then surely the logical thing to do is list the gig while keeping the focus on the locals?

If a local band is playing an MCD / Aiken / whatever gig, then I too think their involvement in that gig should be included in the mailout - if requested by the band in question.

I understand why people wouldn't want the big name stuff on the list - If I was running the show, chances are they wouldn't be on either. But I'm not running it - this is a joint effort, and you're trying to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

And sure at the end of the day these situations don't actually arise all that often - so why get bogged down debating it at this stage?

yeah steven! sorry pete but the reason i personally want to get all this out of the way now is because i don't want this to becaome a big issue later on when it does arise.

hag (22 Nov, 2001 02:12 p.m.):
yeah steven! sorry pete but the reason i personally want to get all this out of the way now is because i don't want this to becaome a big issue later on when it does arise.

No, you just want to have a fight :)

Yeah I was just about to say that but then I though it funnier to ask hag to suck my dick.

Anyway I was thinking this isn't going to cause major problems.

I'm happy enough going with what everyone else feels is best. There is after all a very diverse bunch of people involved. Who all have different opinons on things. I though debate is healthy, though.

I still think bigger promoters don't need our help. Personally I'd rather not promote gigs that are highly priced(which includes an advertising budget).
And would prefer people not going to these gigs cos they heard about it form me.
anyway back to work

it seems that the majority of people on this thread want gigs with the bands we're trying to get noticed to be listed whether its a big promoter's gig or not -
if this ends up with the list being too big or biased towards big promoter's gigs then we can review it, yeah?
most of the local acts that play big promoter's gigs don't get mentioned in the advertising - so we must do this for them...
i know this is lining the pockets of the promoters but as has been said - we're not forcing people to go - merely highlighting the fact that these local bands are playing a gig.

egg_ (22 Nov, 2001 12:43 p.m.):
Pantone247 (22 Nov, 2001 12:35 p.m.):
THE RUBY SESSIONS

what do you reckon in or out

In. It's run by the guy who does mcd's website (and was before he got the job there) - can't fault him for using his employers to advertise his side ventures

fine but do you think the bands would expect people who'd be interested in them to pay whatever the fuck an MCD gig cost's these day's

Therefore JOAN OF ARSE friday whelans £5

Joan of Arse thursday with low £15

or does anyone else see the reflection it might have on bands?

all bands playing support slots at these big gigs could request to be listed - then there'd be no accusation of us speaking morally for the band in question in case they have a problem with the pricing/promoter etc. (in which case why would they play the gig? sorry but to me that would be hypocrtical - "i don't mind playing this gig but i don't want anyone to pay into it"?!?!)

sorry actually - i don't want to get drawn into the whole political thing - i think we should decide by email whether to include these gigs or not (now that everyone has each other's email address)

egg_ (22 Nov, 2001 12:43 p.m.):
Pantone247 (22 Nov, 2001 12:35 p.m.):
THE RUBY SESSIONS

what do you reckon in or out

In. It's run by the guy who does mcd's website (and was before he got the job there) - can't fault him for using his employers to advertise his side ventures

nope, can't fault him for that.

what you can fault him for is running a complete suck-fest.
correct me if i'm wrong, but apart from the one that dave kitt + goodtime + richie egan played, aren't the ruby sessions usually absolute shite?

ok, so personal taste might come into this, but i thought there was gonna be some sort of line drawn between independentGood (largemound, c4o, most of the bands involved in setting it up, those with the right idea) + independentBad (independent only because David Geffen hasn't come knockin just yet).

no?

if we're tellin people that they're gettin a quality list of irish gigs that they're missin, i personally don't want to be vouchin for the Damien Rices or Pete Courtneys of this world *just* yet.

so what *is* separating things from the event guide then?

but if u start getting into what one person likes and another doesnt isnt it going to get way too confusing..and all the arguments over mcd came down to whether or not it will be a comprehensive guide so then i would presume that u would include most things without taste or preference coming into it.

ah this is a load of old bollix, the same fucking shite again and again. more fool me to think people could be reasonable about all this. i this and i that. things: anything independently creative and/or of interest to people involved in things which people mightn't hear about anywhere else. nothing else comes into it. no exclusion. why don't we all just shut up and see how the first one turns out? eh? a chair made from boiled eggs, one if it's legs submersed in a glass of beer while tilting procariously. what does that mean, eh?

good i-bleedin-dea. see how the first one goes and if people think something should be added or deleted then so be it. it will no doubt mutate into something totally different to what is being discussed in it's infancy.

ronan (22 Nov, 2001 03:19 p.m.):ok, so personal taste might come into this, but i thought there was gonna be some sort of line drawn between independentGood (largemound, c4o, most of the bands involved in setting it up, those with the right idea) + independentBad (independent only because David Geffen hasn't come knockin just yet).

Whoa there

Leaving aside the big promoters issue for the moment, what was agreed on Tuesday was anyone who asks goes in for the minute.

Judging people's committment-to-independence, or how good their music is, is a can of worms, especially the former. If we end up getting swamped with oasis-influenced gigs in Doran's, we can deal with that when it happens

if we're tellin people that they're gettin a quality list of irish gigs that they're missin, i personally don't want to be vouchin for the Damien Rices or Pete Courtneys of this world *just* yet

I kinda sympathise with you here ... I've said before I'd be in favour of 'Things' being a kind of brand where people will know that stuff promoted on it will be of a certain standard

But I think Pete Courtney is alright, and when Keiji Haino played I thought he was shite.

And I played at the Ruby Sessions a rake of times

So can we try the "if you ask you're in" rule for a little while and see how we go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back