Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
OK

To subscribe to the things mailout, send a mail to:

[email protected]

To unsubscribe from the things mailout,send a mail to:

[email protected]

To submit listings (with date, time, price, and a one-line description (of each band if it's a gig)) for the things mailout, or to communicate with the mailing list administrator (me and/or Pantone), send a mail to:

[email protected]

Here's a summary of mine and Clodagh's notes from last night:

present (real names except for hag): Rhona, Clodagh, Thomas, Anthony, Mark, Graham, Stephen, Hag, Daragh, Tom, Diarmuid, Conor, Billy, Ross, Cormac

We're gonna start off the whole thing with a weekly (email) mailout (on Mondays) with details of gigs, record releases, and videos on TV for the next 8 days. For the moment we've agreed that anyone who asks can get something announced on the list, except for MCD stuff. Anyone that wants anything in next week's list, send it in by lunchtime on Friday.

To get people onto the mailing list:

- Anyone who already has a band mailing list should send the following to everyone on it:

"Things what you're missing" is a listing of independent gigs, club nights, record releases and other happenings that you might not otherwise hear about. It goes out once a week by email - you can subscribe by sending an email to [email protected]

(this is basically the text we agreed last night ... if I've misinterpreted what was said or screwed it up somehow please let me know)

- Everyone who was there last night is going to contact anyone in the media they know (phantom, xfm, bigger radio stations, print media all over the country) and ask them if they are interested in receiving the weekly mailout. How we're going to coordinate this is by anyone who was there last night picking out some of the media people they know and mailing their names to everyone else saying "I'm contacting these". If you know a media person who hasn't been approached to see if they want the mailout, tell everyone else first, then approach them. If you weren't there last night and have media contacts, get in touch with someone who was there (me if you like)

- There's a page you can print out as a signup form (temporarily at http://www.thumped.com/stoat/signupform.html - again if anyone has objections to the text, or somewhere better to put the form, let me know). Anyone who's putting anything on (or playing at anything) should try and collect email addresses using this form, then send the addresses they've collected to [email protected] and we'll add em to the mailing list. Between them Ross and Hag are going to talk to Road, Freebird and Mero's record shop to see about getting signup forms left on their counters. We will have to arrange to collect and refresh the forms regularly, but Ross and Hag can talk to the shops about that

- We also talked about making a hardcopy of the list. Clodagh, Ross, Stephen reckon they can photocopy stuff for free/cheap, and many/most people thought a monthly thing would be sufficient. It looks for the moment though like we're going to get started on the email list and take it from there, and maybe after we get the first one or two out we can organise making and distributing a hardcopy. Distribution methods suggested for the hardcopies included handing them out (and contacting friends in other parts of the country to do the same) and asking record shop people to slip them in to record bags.

Other stuff we talked about:

- Resource website. Anyone who has ever put on a gig, put on a club night, brought out a record, please explain what you did (including anything you did that was a bad idea) and send it to [email protected]. Rhona has agreed to edit all the stuff in order to make it readable, Tom and Thomas will make in into a website, and then one or two other people have agreed to act as contact points for, for example, someone who has read all the information on CD pressing on the resource site, has hit a glitch, and would like to get some advice off someone.

- Anthony has put together an ad with pictures of various independent releases from the last year, and is going to put it in the USI magazine for free (Rhona's used to writing blurb, so if you need text for it Anthony ...). Diarmuid suggested that there's a DIT paper he can get stuff into, so perhaps he and Anthony could talk about the ad for that too? Anthony also reckons he can get cheap advertising in The Event Guide and there was talk about putting the ad in there for their Christmas edition - Anthony's going to talk to the bands involved and take it from there. Road/Freebird might contribute to the cost of the ad if there's a line saying 'buy these in Road or Freebird' contained in the ad (who's gonna talk to them?). We also discussed putting a regular strip/quarter page ad in the Event Guide promoting releases, probably where new releases get priority but after that anyone with a record out can buy a piece of the ad. To progress with the idea of a regular ad I think we'll need someone to coordinate it ... Anthony?

- Dealing with GZ collectively rather than individually - a good idea both with regard to getting better prices and getting off the bottom of their priority list, maybe we could also register for VAT. No specific actions decided on, though Ross volunteered to act as a GZ contact point

- Collectively dealing with distributors ... generally agreed to be a good idea, but no approaches to be made to distributors until we see how well we all work together on the simpler things like the mailing list. Hag suggested simply sending stuff to distributors in the same parcel in order to save on postage might be a good place to start

Road I'm sure have a huge mailing list. Anybody want to ask them to send out an invite to join the THINGS list? Who knows them? Hag? Bearded Lady?

Also, who's on the ie-indie list? How about someone talking to the owner about sending out a THINGS invite on that too?

We're playing a 'Blast' gig on Saturday, so as well as collecting emails I'll ask Robert Stephenson if he'll send out an invite on his mailing list

I'll also put invitations on the Cluas and Treasure Island bbs. Any other suggestions?

Just a question. Why no MCD gigs?
I understand that they don't need free press.
But on the other hand, why pretend they don't exist?
The list will hardly be comprehensive if we blacklist them. And plenty of bands involved play the odd MCD gig.
And what about Aiken?

joss (21 Nov, 2001 04:14 p.m.):
The list will hardly be comprehensive if we blacklist them. And plenty of bands involved play the odd MCD gig.
And what about Aiken?

i too asked this last night. but it being a "independent" list, they don't need our help, and it wouldn't be indie so them NOR any other major player should be on it.
yes?
no?
xx

Hmm. So to get a *full* picture of what's going on on a particular night, you still need to look elsewhere?

Well, I suppose this isn't meant to replace the Event Guide or be a comprehensive list, it's just to get info to more people...

why not leave it that if MCD (or Aiken or who ever) want to be in they have to mail in details just like everyone else???

la la la la

hey beardy theres a rumour going round from last night that your actually a nice bloke..... ;)

the bearded lady (21 Nov, 2001 04:19 p.m.):
joss (21 Nov, 2001 04:14 p.m.):
And what about Aiken?

i too asked this last night. but it being a "independent" list, they don't need our help, and it wouldn't be indie so them NOR any other major player should be on it.
yes?
no?
xx

my understanding on this was that stephen didn't want mcd but the rest of us decided that as long as someone from *things* had a relevant interest in *any* gig, then it was included. am i wrong on this? i don't agree with excluding mcd.

hag (21 Nov, 2001 04:59 p.m.):
my understanding on this was that stephen didn't want mcd but the rest of us decided that as long as someone from *things* had a relevant interest in *any* gig, then it was included. am i wrong on this? i don't agree with excluding mcd.

This would sort of make sense, and is a rule i sometimes sort of follow here.

Sometimes.

Also, need a mailing list of Things contributors, ie folk who book gigs, release records etc. Otherwise we won't all have everyone's addresses for ads or other co-operations.

joss (21 Nov, 2001 05:42 p.m.):
Also, need a mailing list of Things contributors, ie folk who book gigs, release records etc. Otherwise we won't all have everyone's addresses for ads or other co-operations.

huh??

like list of THINGS "staff" (for want of a better word)??

or a list of people who send in stuff??

huh??

Ah the MCD thing I thought me and beardo had it ironed out fair enough. MCD can do a better job promoting their own gigs and don't need our help.

And it is a list of things that you wouldn't otherwise hear about.
itinit?
God knows you hear enough about any professionally(meaning promotion company's) promoted gigs anyway.

i thought it was a list promoting local music in all it's shapes and forms. as far as i'm concerned, say if the jimmy cake play support to stereolab, not that that's likely to happen, i think it would be silly for that not to be in the list. in my head (no witty comments required, i'm fully aware of how bad it is in here, knock knock), placing such a show on the list would be like, here's one of our gang and they're playing with stereolab on this date in this venue. we don't have to mention mcd at all. i don't think there's anything wrong with this. beardo? steve? anyone?

pete (21 Nov, 2001 05:52 p.m.):
if you organiser type-chaps want a "private" discussion forum, say the word

wow cheers Pete

I kinda think theres something good about discussing all this in a public forum, keep everything on the level and transparent

but if people feel its just clogging up the Forum, or if the volume of discussion is going to increase as things go on it might not be a bad idea

bleedin loads of people signing up to THINGS.... brings a tear to ones pants

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back