Minutes from last night (1 Viewer)

i'm not anti-mcd, i've played their gigs.
i do wonder at the "independentness" of it all though if we AUTOMATICALLY list these gigs.
i think if the scenester support acts send in the listing - v.g.
but if they don't then fuck 'em.
its not like they'll list our stuff on their site, they won't even list "our" bands if they are supporting theirs.
i agree with no politics hag. maybe a show of hands. i will happily go along with the majority on this one, i'm not that hung-up on mcd etc, but i don't want to give them free advertising, seeing how we were all anti-advertising when it came to the proposed website.

I don't really see the problem.

An bog standard mcd gig, say Fun Loving Criminals at the point. There's no way in hell that that is going to be listed.

Then take Jimmy cake and Stereolab, or Joa and Low. Beardy emails in the details "Joan of Arse are playing with Low in Whelans" It shows up in the list

JOAN OF ARSE whelans on Sturday playing with Low.

doesn't it just make more sense to include events that people reading "things" might be interested in even if they *are* MCD affiliated?

i dont give a swinging mickey about the politics of it all to be honest - im just lazy, and an all encompassing list of what i could be doing for the week means i have to use less brain energy and this is a Good Thing.

well ok. so it gets listed if the local band request it. i doubt a local band would ask it not to be listed but fair enough, there could be occasions when this might happen. so this needs to become an official 'process' that a band goes through when they play a 'big' promoter's gig, just as long as evey independent irish band is aware that it won't be listed unless they specifically request it, grand. i still think it's a bit pointless though. :|

Anthony (22 Nov, 2001 12:05 p.m.):
I don't really see the problem.

An bog standard mcd gig, say Fun Loving Criminals at the point. There's no way in hell that that is going to be listed.

Then take Jimmy cake and Stereolab, or Joa and Low. Beardy emails in the details "Joan of Arse are playing with Low in Whelans" It shows up in the list

yeah.
what the man said.

I just quickly read through the last page of this thread, so I may be way off the point, but I agree with what I think egg said earlier. MCD gigs should only go on the list at the bands request and not MCDs. Its not for political reasons, but if large MCD gigs are listed they will, for the average joe, overshadow the gigs by the smaller bands, who as far as I can gather were the people this list is supposed to benefit. However, if someone playing an MCD/Aiken gig asks to be included it would be unfair not to include them. Support the artists, not the larger promotion companies who have there own channels for advertising. Of course some higher profile events will have to be listed now and again to keep the interest of people whos taste in music hasn't gone too underground yet.

aboot the website - things.ie seems to be available but .net, .com, .org etc. etc. have all been taken - who's taking care of this stuff?

Minor point:

If a punter isn't aware of the whole MCD political scene, won't the list look incomplete or half-assed if events listed elsewhere don't appear on Things?

If it adds to the value of the 'service' then lash it in and graciously accept the inevitible praise for a job well done.

Unless someone disagrees with me, in which case I'll go along with what they say instead.

yeah, the thing going around in my head is that there's loads of people out there who would love the local bands but just may not be part of this little community we have.
i think we're probably arguing about nothing ... i can't imagine an independent band who was aware of things and playing an mcd gig not submitting it to the listings.

cool the ruby sessions are in

back when me and egg_ were discussing the list as an idea (uh tuesday or something....it all seems so long ago) branding was mentioned.

establishing a list that people would come to trust, so if we have a C4O gig down, and someone has never seen them before, they might be inclined to go simply because THINGS recomended it and we have not let them down yet.

Thumped has achieved a similar thing, you come to trust that if a band are getting mentioned around thumped they'll proberbly be worth checking out, and ussually are.

It would be great to think as people trust THINGS they'll trust the distro that people are working towards and take a chance on some albums, maybe if we put on a THINGS gig (which I'd love to) people will come because our mailing list has rarely set them wrong so far.... you see what I mean.... when THINGS diet cola flavour drink is launched....uh hold on!!

The list has been established to promote gigs people don't know about, that was Anthony's complaint in the first place, to advertise gigs that can't get billboards or radio advertsing. doing it grass roots stylee like.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the list becoming a one stop entertainmnet.ie

(plus the list would be fucking HUGE....plus who has the time to trawl thru all the various websites!!)

(I think this may be my first 'serious' mail to thumped....go me!!!)

Pantone247 (22 Nov, 2001 01:02 p.m.):
cool the ruby sessions are in

back when me and egg_ were discussing the list as an idea (uh tuesday or something....it all seems so long ago) branding was mentioned.

establishing a list that people would come to trust, so if we have a C4O gig down, and someone has never seen them before, they might be inclined to go simply because THINGS recomended it and we have not let them down yet.

Thumped has achieved a similar thing, you come to trust that if a band are getting mentioned around thumped they'll proberbly be worth checking out, and ussually are.

It would be great to think as people trust THINGS they'll trust the distro that people are working towards and take a chance on some albums, maybe if we put on a THINGS gig (which I'd love to) people will come because our mailing list has rarely set them wrong so far.... you see what I mean.... when THINGS diet cola flavour drink is launched....uh hold on!!

The list has been established to promote gigs people don't know about, that was Anthony's complaint in the first place, to advertise gigs that can't get billboards or radio advertsing. doing it grass roots stylee like.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the list becoming a one stop entertainmnet.ie

(plus the list would be fucking HUGE....plus who has the time to trawl thru all the various websites!!)

(I think this may be my first 'serious' mail to thumped....go me!!!)

prick.

yes!!!!

so if the jimmy cake play a gig in whelans off their own bat (eeeuuuuw) a week before they play on an MCD bill, the first gig goes into THINGS, the second doesn't?

thats kerazy. they are still the same band, gonna interest the same people regardless of who is promoting it....

anyway, im sure my opinion doesn't really count, as either way, *i* wont be there.
i'll probably be pouring pink bacardi breezers down my neck in club diva in the red cow hotel in anyway.
go on clondalkin!

Anthony (22 Nov, 2001 12:05 p.m.):

fine but do you think the bands would expect people who'd be interested in them to pay whatever the fuck an MCD gig cost's these day's

Therefore JOAN OF ARSE friday whelans £5

Joan of Arse thursday with low £15

or does anyone else see the reflection it might have on bands?

Also I think we should stop talking about MCD as it has all ready been pointed out there are more than them rippin' us off.

And is it a MCD gig or an MCD gig (an seems to sound right but it is the first time I thought about it)

bleedin MUSICAL STUFF, not price or anything else. if someone doesn't want to pay £15, things isn't going to persuade them to. :(

this is what i thought it was about:

music/video/creative stuff people mightn't realise is going on.

if things like excluding listings because of price, personal feelings about promoters come into this, i'm not bothered. i accept the point about not listing gigs we *as a community* don't have any interest in. what is the consensus on this? better still, who is up for boycotting listings because of any other reason other than *us* not having a musical/creative interest in them? i'd really like to get some idea of how many people are thinking along these lines.

hag (22 Nov, 2001 01:43 p.m.):
bleedin MUSICAL STUFF, not price or anything else. if someone doesn't want to pay £15, things isn't going to persuade them to. :(

how do I do one of those smiley faces with a cock going into it's mouth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back