Minor Pleasures (7 Viewers)

Of course you’d say that, you have the brain pan of a stagecoach tilter!
Waaaht! Allegedly my ancestors were genuinely robbers and highwaymen, up in the north. Was that a lucky guess? Did I mention that before? My granddad was mortified and told me to stop looking because "I'd just end up saddened" or something when I started sniffing around trying to do ancestor shite.

Waaaht! Allegedly my ancestors were genuinely robbers and highwaymen, up in the north. Was that a lucky guess? Did I mention that before? My granddad was mortified and told me to stop looking because "I'd just end up saddened" or something when I started sniffing around trying to do ancestor shite.
ha the very last conversation i had with my dad he was VERY against the idea of doing the family tree

haven't found out why yet

well he did claim the round scar on his leg was from when he was "shot in Fairview Park", so who knows?

(he said it was "a pellet gun", but still)

I put Vicky Verky on Youtube to have a bop at my desk, and I was thinking about how I didn't know any Vickys

And right away Vicky from Accounts called me up about my time card

True story

I put Vicky Verky on Youtube to have a bop at my desk, and I was thinking about how I didn't know any Vickys

And right away Vicky from Accounts called me up about my time card

True story
I was listening to Motörhead the other day and got thinking about someone I knew decades ago who thought that “Umlaut” would be a good name for a metal band, because of Motörhead and Mötley Crüe and the like.

Then yesterday morning Ian Dempsey was talking to some randomer on the radio called Zoe.

“And do you spell that with the two dots over the O? Do you know what they’re called?”

I was listening to Motörhead the other day and got thinking about someone I knew decades ago who thought that “Umlaut” would be a good name for a metal band, because of Motörhead and Mötley Crüe and the like.

Then yesterday morning Ian Dempsey was talking to some randomer on the radio called Zoe.

“And do you spell that with the two dots over the O? Do you know what they’re called?”

My wife's family on her mother's side has an interesting past. There was an 'across the barricades' marriage in Belfast (great grandmother and grandfather of my wife IIRC) and after both of them had died, the Protestant side of the family wrote a rather stiff letter to the Catholic side, officially cutting off all contact. They thought the marriage has brought disgrace to their family.

My wife's great granduncle's name is one on the names inscribed on fusilier's arch on Stephen's green.

On one side of my family, there was a trend of the lads getting married to women way younger than them. Dirty divils.

The men generally seemed to have relatively good jobs - farmers, postmasters, gardai - and in rural Ireland the wimmen weren't allowed to say no by their families, if proposed to by someone with a good job.

My mother-in-law did a family tree for her brother-in-law, and found out his grandad had beaten his grandmother to death with a poker. Grim
Oh we had a murder too - a grand-uncle(?) was shot by an ex-IRA man in the 1930s. There was a tv program made about it a few years back.

My wife's family on her mother's side has an interesting past. There was an 'across the barricades' marriage in Belfast (great grandmother and grandfather of my wife IIRC) and after both of them had died, the Protestant side of the family wrote a rather stiff letter to the Catholic side, officially cutting off all contact. They thought the marriage has brought disgrace to their family.

My wife's great granduncle's name is one on the names inscribed on fusilier's arch on Stephen's green.

Lad we used to work with was in a mixed marriage in the North, there was a rift caused by him marrying a Catholic, lovely guy. His father and brother were not only Orange Men but "In The Black".

He died suddenly a few years ago and we kept an eye on the death notices in the Belfast papers. Messages of condolences from various lodges to the father and brother on the loss of this guy, no mention of the widow in any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back