Minor Pleasures (8 Viewers)

You tell me. I don't give them a pass and I believe MJ was innocent of illegal behaviour with kids. He was innocent in the eyes of the law but they only count when they agree with what we think don't they?

So my final stance is:
  • inappropriate - very much so
  • illegal - no.
  • I am 100% sure of this? no.
  • If i had kids would I have let him near them - hell no.

Men have been prosecuted and jailed for that kind of inappropriate contact. He was given a free pass because people liked him or wanted to understand this poor troubled man-child who was innocent really and it wasn't sexual sexual contact etc

I'm sure Arbour Hill has a few residents who are filled with righteous anger that they are in jail while Jacko got a more or less free pass

You tell me. I don't give them a pass and I believe MJ was innocent of illegal behaviour with kids. He was innocent in the eyes of the law but they only count when they agree with what we think don't they?

So my final stance is:
  • inappropriate - very much so
  • illegal - no.
  • I am 100% sure of this? no.
  • If i had kids would I have let him near them - hell no.

Touching someone intimately is "inappropriate", or you could call it, you know, sexual assault.

Anyway, he's a person that in no way should ever have been around kids ever.
We agree on that. As in I'm sure you'd want every kid to have the protection that your kids would enjoy.

Lisa Marie is the real victim in all this. Probably.

Touching someone intimately is "inappropriate", or you could call it, you know, sexual assault.

Yeah i have no idea in what way he touched them, from all that I've read it seems he never 'touched' them, per se, but either way he definitely shared a bed, which is just not ok. I can't decide if someone should get some jail time for that or not.

Men have been prosecuted and jailed for that kind of inappropriate contact. He was given a free pass because people liked him or wanted to understand this poor troubled man-child who was innocent really and it wasn't sexual sexual contact etc

TBH just as many people wanted him to go down. Fucking delighted with it. But fair point either way.

It's the 70's on trial these days. Trying to pretend that schoolgirls weren't seen as fair game back then. There's some semi-famous 70's NME article (that I can't find) lamenting about the loss of the LA groupies scene. Which reminds me, Bowie needs to go to jail as well if we're going all out. Probably all of the Beatles as well.

Trying to pretend that schoolgirls weren't seen as fair game back then.

Them being considered "fair game" hardly makes it okay. It was apparently considered fine for nuns to ditch the corpse of a bastard child in a septic tank back in the 60's but the whole country is losing its shit over that this week.

Them being considered "fair game" hardly makes it okay. It was apparently considered fine for nuns to ditch the corpse of a bastard child in a septic tank back in the 60's but the whole country is losing its shit over that this week.

I think the distinction is that society in general didn't really have a huge problem with men preying on schoolgirls back then. It was part of popular culture to an extent, or if not, it got a pass for the most part.

I'm not saying it's not the case with the babies, but it wasn't out in the open. No one wanted to know about those women from the moment they were knocked up.

Pop singers of the day weren't singing about throwing babies in septic tanks is what I'm saying.

So for everyone to turn around now and say they are shocked is a little bit of collective amnesia.

Oh I totally agree.

edit: yeah, what 7 said.

Oh I totally agree.

Ah okay, I thought your point was that you have to excuse grown ass men fucking schoolgirls in the 70's and view it in the context of the era, and not pay heed to the (subjectively, marginally less icky*) standards we have now.

* Which reminds me, I saw this pop up on twitter not half an hour ago.

BpaXXxQCUAABCol.jpg:large

I'm unsure of the data collection methodology but apparently it's from a book coming out soon by the founder of OK Cupid.

I dreamt that my sunglasses broke.

They are, in fact, unbroken.

My subconscious is kind of an asshole.
Driving into the local today at noon for a first communion, weather report said that there'd be massive flooding. The sun ended up splitting the stones, and for once, I wasn't looked at like I was an asshole for having my shades on as I wear them all year long. Instead, I was looked at like an asshole because of my wool jumper and parka. One drunken Meath footballer was even held back by his mates after I went into the jack for a piss because he wanted to give me a thump, so my son says...but that is for the minor complaints thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back