Minor Pleasures (2 Viewers)

Wouldn't the church bells have served that purpose though?
"Oh, there's one bell, I better be heading off to court presently".
I imagine life was less stressed when very few people carried a watch or owned a clock.
Ah yeah, I don't know any figures about the prevalence or accuracy of church clocks over the centuries though.

In the US anyway wasn't the imposition of a standard time related to the spread of the railways so that everyone would know when to show up to catch a train? You'd imagine something similar occurred here.

I believe that In London there used to be people who's job it was to keep the right time. They'd get it from Greenwich and then head off charging people to tell them the right time.

I suppose it shows that modern technologies like railways changed how time worked and weren't always automatically embraced by the populace, especially a populace that was already not delighted with their colonisers forcing them to, for example, speak another language.

My point was that Irish people being very pedantic about their language comes from a very complicated history, one which English people generally don't have, and which can go right down to the basics of how we measure our day, something I would certainly tend to take for granted.

Last edited:
Some places you go to and the bus leaves when it's full. It's infuriating, it's uncivilized. Strict adherence to timekeeping and time-tables should be imposed on the entire world (probably through the TTIP or something like that).

As a child I always understood it as being 'crack', 'craic' only came later.

Who will set us free of the bogus Irishness of craic?
Jees, I'm seeing this conversation the wrong way around
And late to the show. I'm on EDT here, folks.
Yeah, it was always 'crack' then people either changed it for a joke or so people wouldn't confuse it with the drug or some mixture of both.
Either way, it's been an excuse for some really awful behaviour, one way or another.

exposure.png

Pigeon fanciers, heh

Famous fanciers
  • Maximilien Robespierre, French revolutionary, raised pigeons and sparrows in his youth.[28]
  • Thomas S. Monson has enjoyed raising Birmingham Roller pigeons since he was a young boy.[29]
  • Mike Tyson former undisputed heavyweight boxing champion is a lifelong pigeon fancier.
  • Duncan Ferguson, former Everton player, enjoys the sport of pigeon racing.[30]
  • Queen Elizabeth II is a fourth generation member of the Royal Family who has enjoyed the sport of pigeon racing.[31][32] The first racing pigeons at Sandringham were a gift to the future Edward VII by King Loepold of Belgium in 1886.
  • Karel Meulemans, a noted pigeon fancier in Arendonk, Belgium.
  • Paddy Ambrose (1928–2002), Irish international footballer was said to prefer pigeon racing to the sport that he became famous for.
  • Nikola Tesla, famous inventor, fed the pigeons of New York City, nursing those who were sick or injured. Of the birds, he said, "These are my sincere friends."
  • Gerry Francis, English footballer, coach and commentator is a pigeon racing fancier.
  • Pablo Picasso, famous artist who kept fantails named his daughter Paloma which means pigeon in Spanish.
  • Charles Darwin, English naturalist, kept fancy pigeon breeds for observation and anatomical study of his test breeding.
  • Yul Brynner, actor, The King and I, owned Roller pigeons, known to take private helicopter to view aerial performance of his pigeons.
  • Manuel Noriega, deposed Panamanian dictator, had many palaces to house fancy pigeons.
  • Queen Victoria, Queen of England who was fond of the Jacobin strain of fancy pigeons whose feathered "cowl" resembles the garments of Jacobin monks.
  • Bill Lawry, former Australian cricketer and Channel Nine cricket commentator. Bill's love of pigeons has been parodied in the successful The Twelfth Man comedy recordings.

Pigeon keeping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hmm, i guess i have to make it public.

Or i could just put it somewhere else and link to it, BRB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back