Minor complaints thread (7 Viewers)

I would rather not observe anything related to Christmas at all. But for the sake of making my life easier I buy a few gifts for people.

I observe being the best person I can be to the people that love me.
I'm only intermittently good with gifts. Love will have to do.

Some lad in the irish times comments section complaining about arts degrees.

Too many young people don't know that learning Shakespeare inside out is a qualification to do all of two things: teach Shakespeare, do manual work - which you don't need to go to university for. Banning Arts Degrees and making all young people study computer programming for at least one year, regardless of whether they're studying business or engineering, would be a brilliant job creation measure

When I think back to huge numbers of people who do an arts degree for the very reasons people complain about arts degrees... yeah he has a point. Still though, for the tiny amount of us who care :(

I remember an old Tom Matthews cartoon; one guy saying to the other "My father wanted me to join a speed metal band but I decided to take a risk and do arts"

I have a croaky throat and I was supposed to do some sexyvoice voice over work for an ad today.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"like" the reference ..not the throat thing

In additional voice-over news my mate who records them for a living just posted this on Facebook

"while recording a Dutch voice-over, ..one translation for 'spellchecker' is 'correctiesuggesties'."

Ask your friend to hook a girl up and tell me how he got a career in voice-overs! I'm making a showreel since I've done quite a bit in here.

People talk about everyone learning how to code like it's some basic skill that once you learn the basics eveyone can do equally well.

basically policy makers and the commentariat generally dont have a fucking clue what any of it means so they just latch onto what seems bright and shiny, and what the clever boys in the class tell them is important .

A similar process has led to our universities becoming factories producing PhDs of ever decreasing value in the mistaken belief that this would lead to the generation of the 'knowlegde economy'.

basically policy makers and the commentariat generally dont have a fucking clue what any of it means so they just latch onto what seems bright and shiny, and what the clever boys in the class tell them is important .

A similar process has led to our universities becoming factories producing PhDs of ever decreasing value in the mistaken belief that this would lead to the generation of the 'knowlegde economy'.

Aye, it's a load of nonsense. A technical degree is only really valid for about 2 years before it becomes obsolete. So in 2 years time the year of coding will be worth less than the arts degree

Aye, it's a load of nonsense. A technical degree is only really valid for about 2 years before it becomes obsolete. So in 2 years time the year of coding will be worth less than the arts degree

I had a year of coding in Eifell, which even at the time was an obsolete language, but the concepts were easily transferible to any other platform.

I think a functional/general knowlege of coding will probably become built into a lot of things over the coming years, but yeah - without serious CPD most IT based qualifications date pretty quickly.

if this country had any long term strategic planning capabilities they would have put investment into something we have a core competency in that others dont do better - which for my money would probably be wave/tidal energy technology and associated engineering supports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back