Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
Where do we stand on this people?

I, for one, think it's foolhardy. Making booze pricier won't deter a soul from drinking, it'll just have a knock on effect to the other area's people spend their money on. We're a nation of idiot drinkers, making it more expensive won't solve that, we need a cultural sea change.

Where I think the move is particularly flawed isn't in relation to alcoholics, but to those who surround and are effected by their behaviour.

An alcoholic doesn't buy drink guided by reason, they are compulsed. Children of alcoholics stand to slip further into mistreatment, thanks to this.

So, I reckon it's a bad move, but what should be done?

Does anyone believe that putting up the price has anything got to do with deterring people from drinking?

It's kinda like Dublin Bus prices, keeps going up and people just put up with it

@dudley

For the patients in our study, the impact of a minimum unit price of 50p/unit on spending on alcohol would be 200 times higher for patients with liver disease who were drinking at harmful levels than for low-risk drinkers. As a health policy, a minimum unit price for alcohol is exquisitely targeted at the heaviest drinkers, for whom the impact of alcohol-related illness is most devastating.

from Impact of minimum price per unit of alcohol on patients with liver disease in the UK. - ResearchGate

@dudley
a minimum unit price for alcohol is exquisitely targeted at the heaviest drinkers, for whom the impact of alcohol-related illness is most devastating.
from Impact of minimum price per unit of alcohol on patients with liver disease in the UK. - ResearchGate

So does this not mean that this will have little affect on most people? By and large, it won't make much difference?

More importantly, what price difference will this make to:
  1. Six Dutch
  2. A flagon of cider
  3. A bottle of Buckfast
  4. the cheapest of alcopops (which I think are already expensive enough these days)

Will this just remove the joy of bargain hunting booze?

So does this not mean that this will have little affect on most people? By and large, it won't make much difference?

More importantly, what price difference will this make to:
  1. Six Dutch
  2. A flagon of cider
  3. A bottle of Buckfast
  4. the cheapest of alcopops (which I think are already expensive enough these days)

Will this just remove the joy of bargain hunting booze?

I forsee the drunks of ireland becoming conniseurs of fine wines and craft beers as a result of this..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back