Mini-Laptop - I so want one :-) (1 Viewer)

yeah the linux one should do all that

i'd have concerns about the screen size (even the 8.9" one) for proper photo editing, but sure you could install the Gimp or whatever and give it a lash.

i wouldn't touch video or audio editing on a weeee laptop of any make. screen's too small and the CPU is just too slow - particularly the HP one with its weedy Via cpu.

that should be cool

True, 8.9 is tiny for video or image editing. It doesn't say how many ghz the HP is though. If it's the basic one (1ghz) I too wouldn't bother with video though audio would be no prob. You'd be looking at least 1.5ghz for video.

The scores for the HP are awful.

Do u think i''m better going with the Asustek 8.9" Eee PC 1GB 12GB then? I think the processor on the smaller one is 900mhz not sure about the 8.9" one..

(thanks for the input guys)

well if your going getting it for what you plan to (video/photo) etc

It wasn't really for that (i have a decent laptop too) but I'd like the option of using it to do minor ajustments on some of my wotrk stuff - changing image sizes etc nothing heavy.

With the video stuff basically just using Abssolut sound recorder to take sound samples - I guess i wouldn't need to to do any video stuff.

Some what do u think - the HP vs Asustek 8.9" Eee PC.

As for budget - its something i don't really need but i like the idea of have a PC small enough ofr my backpack. I guess I'd goto 500 for the HP one for sure.

thanks agian for the help./

And then the best thing is to reInstall it with XP. I imagine it wouldn't really need drivers etc?

Never tryed to get rid of Vista from a machine - i heard there can be problems?

Posting this on my new ASUS PC900 :)

So far so good. Only peeve is i didn't realise is that the UK/Irish versions are shipped with the smaller battery.

Tested it out yesterday playing a film .avi with head phones on and i got 2hours 30mins out of it. not too bad. Might try pick up a bigger battery (from friends going to china) but 150mins seems ok.

The last Bios updat seems to have increased battery life by 30mins.

Just got the basics on it so far - firefox - vlc - MSN.
Going to put on an old version of Photoshop and see how that handles.

Screen is a very decent size and the key board isn't too bad. Scratch pad and buttons are prettty much full size.

by underclocking the CPU?

I don't think so though that was one of the suggestions prior to the bios update on extendding life.

However mine came with the latest bios installed and it still says its running at 900mhz.

I just feel a bit jipped that us EUropeans lost out on the bigger battery. In Hong KOng they are giving free exchange on them. They announced that u could get the bigger one in the UK for £10 but they've seemed to have with drawn it.

Personally i feel pretty happy with it. Even in travelling you'll get plug access now and then :)

HOLD EVERYTHING:

I ended up returning it.

The battery discharged horribly even when full powered off. So if you charged it 100% the next day you power up it might just be at 70%. I dunno if it was a problem with that battery type but it pretty un acceptable.

I pissed off as i was really happy with the machine otherwise. Guess i'll wait til the other mini-pcs come out.

carphone warehouse are doing the 4G eee PC for €329, including a usb 3g 'broadband' yoke. The sub for that is €20 a month.

The specs are alot better and it loks only slightly better.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, I love the idea of a PC in my backpack.

Be interested in hearing which ones you go for wanting to pick up something more portable and less precious to cycle into college with. An accident prone person on bike with tendency to speed+ mac- insurance= very silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back