Mini-Laptop - I so want one :-) (3 Viewers)

Thats looks good...

I'd prolly go for the 1gig XP edition.

I'd wait til I find out about the battery life first.
They have a habit of shipping 3cell batteries here and 6 cell batteries elsewhere :(

Seems the Acer Aspire one AOA110 has the 6cell.

Hmm, do PC World do student discounts on laptops? My choice is now down to the Advent (aka MSI Wind) from there and the Acer Aspire One. Had a go of some Packard Bell unit with a 12.1" screen in Curry yeterday and that seemed very nice.

Nice one. It is looking like I'll be going for that. Bigger screen than the Acer & has XP (which actually is better than the Acer linux in this case, the Linpus Linux is very hard to add programmes to)

Tracker is a pain in the hole (But I never liked them anyway) and it's a lot better than the eee or using a pen on the pda (though not a wacom on a real puter).

Keys are fine. Even over extended periods. Though I have typed solidly for hours as I only got it on Sunday. I do use shortcuts quite a lot (On account of I hate trackers and photoshop). Head in to pc world and try it out.

Only shit part is the battery only lasts about two hours. With wifi on. You can buy a six cell one I think, but I'll wait a while. Probably would make it too big for the camera bag anyway.

I had a lash on one of these the other day (the white one?) and the keys are just too small.
Maybe I just have big fingers but it would drive me mad.

Most laptop keyboards are shit though. Unless they're 17+ inches. And even then, some of them are just rubbish.

That Dell one they're doing in PC World at the moment for 548 has a good keyboard though.

Advent wouldn't suit someone who types properly though.
The Advent's keyboard is nicer to use than my packard bell laptop.

we got a few eeePCs in Singapore

- 4G 701 for herself
- Linux 901 for meself
- eeeBox for... i dunno, but it was only about €200 and is small enough to attach to the VESA mount on the back of a telly so i'm sure i'll find a use for it

The 701 is grand - it's not exactly hi spec, but it does what it says on the tin so I can't really complain since it worked out at about €170 (after the tax refund)

It took me a few days to settle on the 901. Briefly considered the eee 1000, but it's just too close to a regular laptop (in size, spec & price) so really defeated the purpose. It was between the 901, the Aspire One & a Pico (another MSI Wind knockoff / rebadge from Axioo), but the battery life, the weight, the boot speed & the draft-N swung it for me. So far it's deadly.

edit: i was going for the advent if i hadn't bought over there

I was using a wacom on the advent yesterday. The screen is so small for any kind of detailed work. But I was showing my God-Daughter how to use it. Great fun, starting a ten year old on Photoshop. I wish someone had shown me at that age.

Would any of these baby laptops be much cop for Photoshop and Illustrator? My desktop is on the way out and I want a cheap, portable alternative.

Not interested in gaming or video editing or anything too too heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back