Michael Knight Album Launch May 3rd Sugar Club (2 Viewers)

Sunday Times review:

'So much that is original and unusual about away-from-the-mainstream music-making informs this second album from Richard Murphy and his collective: a sleeve like a tattered, secondhand book; lyrics presented in play-script form; a sprawling opening track of Swingle-Singers-on-the-lash vocal ravings; the threat that beneath the formal, chamber-pop structures, chaos lurks and dissonance hums; the primacy of the artistic vision, with nothing sweetening or diluting its purpose. Deluded misanthropists, defeated idealists, becalmed lovers, materialistic arrivistes and vengeful exes people the “11 Tableaux”, with Murphy’s laconic singing and Bacharachian progressions just about joining the dots. Pretty odd, but rather fine.'

Has anyone mentioned this?

Michael Knight WITH A FULL BAND launch their new album "I'm Not Entirely Clear How I Ended Up Like This" on May 3rd (TONIGHT!) in the Sugar Club, 8 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin.

Support from Patrick Freyne and Mackerel the Cat.

Doors 8pm.

10 euro on the door.

I know clubs want to make as much money as possible but come on. Micheal Knight was great and sadly had to be cut short. And for what? A terrible DJ (apologies if it's any of you) and what appeared to be a wedding band. I seriously felt like I crashed a wedding reception. Surely they could have let Micheal Knight play a few more songs? Great albeit short show with the best stage banter.

I agree, the set was cut woefully short, but that's always the case in the Sugar Club. But for the 25 minutes MK did do, I was most impressed. The album is quite stunning as well.

Well done, Sir Knight.. and good luck with the rest of the gigs this week. I'll be looking forward to the next one, but I won't hold my breath because I presume you will take a few months writing a new album and not the about 90 seconds that I can hold my breath for.

Thanks to all who came down, I did enjoy the set while it lasted, which is quite rare in fact. Sorry about the timing balls-up, I accept full responsibility...though you'd be surprised how quickly you'd have tired had we played longer. Perhaps. Anyways the AMAZING album is in the shops now...that is, actually, it is amazing, I'm not being self-deprecating.

Anyone in Galway or Cork, we're playing Thu (Roisin) and Fri (Cyprus Avenue) in support of iLiKETRAiNS...and Sat the same in Dub in Crawdaddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back