Melaton (1 Viewer)

can someome please put up the albini essay or direct me to it please, its not the one about "slint" is it?
t

well it starts like this
Whenever I talk to a band who are about to sign with a major label, I always end up thinking of them in a particular context. I imagine a trench, about four feet wide and five feet deep, maybe sixty yards long, filled with runny, decaying shit. I imagine these people, some of them good friends, some of them barely acquaintances, at one end of this trench. I also imagine a faceless industry lackey at the other end holding a fountain pen and a contract waiting to be signed. Nobody can see what's printed on the contract. It's too far away, and besides, the shit stench is making everybody's eyes water. The lackey shouts to everybody that the first one to swim the trench gets to sign the contract. Everybody dives in the trench and they struggle furiously to get to the other end. Two people arrive simultaneously and begin wrestling furiously, clawing each other and dunking each other under the shit. Eventually, one of them capitulates, and there's only one contestant left. He reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says "Actually, I think you need a little more development. Swim again, please. Backstroke". And he does of course.

and it ends like this
Maybe the T-shirt guys have figured out how to count money like record company guys. Some of your friends are probably already this fucked.

Like the man said earlier, get it here:
http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

sorry, i don't buy the "it's not free advertising" schtick. it is. as to what you get, maybe you get promo copies of things and maybe the odd guest-list place. whatever. i don't care.

my point is not 'against' your site or any other fanzine/fansite per se. it's against the idea that you need to make a site which serves no purpose beyond being, in the main, a collection of ads, especially because you obviously care a lot about your music. surely if you value music you should perhaps give a thought as to why you're doing what you're doing. the i'm-not-interested-in-politics-and-i-just-like-music thing is a cop-out. there is a clear choice about what you put on your site, and you've chosen to avoid choosing, which is still a choice, if you get me.

i'm also not saying 'buying major labels is bad'. i bought kid a. i've got the destiny's child album, ferchrissakes. that's not the point. your complacency in giving free exposure to people who can easily afford it anyway and then explaining it away with a catch-all 'it's-all-about-the-music' excuse is. i like lots of major-label albums, and lots of major-affiliated fake indie label albums. however, the websites and other things i've done have been about bands who i felt were deserving of recognition who can't go out and buy it up in ad space. it's not politics, it's common sense.

ehhh, i think they sound ok actually - moonstorm's got a bit o' the singing style of (godblessme) jeff buckley crossed with bono and the lad from coldplay, nah fuck it - sounds like coldplay, and peripherique is a bit of the guitar noodlingness of bluetones as if they'd just listened to trm. they could considerably make it into the nme if that's what they're trying to do. however, a bit lacking in originality. i signed up for the free cd though 'cos i'm a bollox like that. can't really tell too much from 30 sec clips on crappy pc speakers.

nj (18 Aug, 2001 12:37 a.m.):
can someome please put up the albini essay or direct me to it please, its not the one about "slint" is it?
t

Where can I get the one about "slint"?
I love "slint".
And Slint.
They recorded Spiderland in a barn at night (cos they had day jobs).
After recording the vocals that go, "I'm trying to find my way home/I'm sorry/I miss you", the singer got violently ill.
Now that's emo.

And also they got Albini to record their first LP, but they credited him as Some Derd Nifter.

Ya gotta love 'em.

And Melody Maker only gave Spiderland 7/10 and reviewed it in a triple review with Steel Pole Bathtub and some other post-hardcore band who made no imression on me at all.

I thought I'd replied to this but I must have cocked up in trying to do so.

You said "sorry, i don't buy the "it's not free advertising" schtick. it is. as to what you get, maybe you get promo copies of things and maybe the odd guest-list place. whatever. i don't care. "

I have run my website since February and have in that time recieved 3 free records and 1 free gig - these are valued at a total of £27 - which i'd have earned in 6 hours in any normal job - like working in Mc Donalds or whatever. Let me tell you, I've put in an awful lot more time than that. and i'm not stupid, if I was just out to earn money I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing.

And frankly I couldn't give a FUCKING SHITE if you care or not. Don't you fucking give me that "free advertising" shitel.

Does this site give "free advertising" to bands like TRM or Joan of Arse or NPB or Estel or the Coldspoon Conspiracy just because it features a review of something by that band ????

FUCK OFF, you FUCKING Nark

Ah Jaysus Silo. If I met you in a pub and went off on one about how much I loved, I dunno, Neil Young say, would you hassle me about advertising AOL/Time Warner?

I can't deny the logic of your argument, but fuckin hell, communication with other people is IMPORTANT, talking about stuff you love is IMPORTANT - no-one's gonna want a revolution that does away with these nice things

i don't go to pubs. they're all in cahoots with evil employers and brewing syndicates... oh, sorry, back to being normal. roreek, you say that melody maker gave spiderland a 7/10 review [one thing this says about you is that you're very old. :).] however, i was under the impression that 'the albini article about slint' was the review in melody maker. i thought there was some famous occasion where albini reviewed spiderland in melody maker and gave it 10/10... oh i dunno. i'll go off to google and try and find it now. remember when the jesus lizard were on the cover of melody maker? well i don't. and monkey, pleez be quiet. i'll get back to you eventually. thankin' you...

ha! found it!

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palladium/2142/steve.html

okeydokey monkey

"Does this site give "free advertising" to bands like TRM or Joan of Arse or NPB or Estel or the Coldspoon Conspiracy just because it features a review of something by that band ?"

well, yes. pete thinks they deserve it, and [apart from the good ol' sunday times with the redneck manifesto] no one else is giving it to them. happy now?

and egg, the last time i was talking to you in a pub i was giving out about those sellouts stoat and their deal with sony who said they'd make them the next violent femmes, only, y'know, while making them more money and stuff.

Thanks Mr. Silo.

I don't think I'm all that old.
I'm younger than my parents, for example.

There was definitely another, non-celebrity, review of Spiderland. Why it sticks in my mind is anyone's guess.
It certainly wasn't the reason I bought the LP.

Can you find me the Melody Maker article by David Keenan from some time in the 90s which said that Dead C and Fushitsusha were the two greatest rock groups in the world bar none? It was probably a review of either the Dead C's "Tusk" or Repent" LPs. And it was probably published before Steve Sutherland became editor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back