Meeting People (1 Viewer)

Peppered here and there is fine but the constant use just seems rude and uncouth.

well there's no arguing with that point,it is quite ignorant and ill mannered if every sentence has a 'fuck' or 'shit' in it.im pretty sure im not that bad though,i'll only use a curse word if its really needed and even then i try to substitute pleasant words instead-whoops rather than bollix and so forth.guess ill just have to try harder.or get dumped.hmmmm.......

Not sure to be honest. I suppose there are so many interesting words one can use in language that the same over and over for different meanings is unimaginative? Or maybe it's because growing up those who cursed all the time were generally those of lesser intelligence? Or maybe I'm just a bit too prim and proper? Peppered here and there is fine but the constant use just seems rude and uncouth.

well swearing aside, people do that anyways. I was flicking through wiki there and it mentioned that fuck was considered profane. i dont think people who constantly say fuck (like me for example) are consistently profane - the words used to describe something profane don't really count for swearing or not. if you say 'why doesn't that person go and jump off a cliff' its profane, the meaning is dark, uncaring, heartless etc.. its the intent, isn't it?? - also i wouldn't relate use of language to intelligence, as you have to consider that the majority of people here would have hang ups about swearing because either the brits or the church were telling them (or them via their mammies and grannies) they would go to hell for uttering profanities (a case would be the twisting of that one of the ten commandments about the lords name in vain into telling kids not to utter profanities). If you think that majority of society is intelligent because they follow the ideals of an organization as a measure of intelligence... well thats just silly.

the language i find most offensive really are when people utter old sayings and cliches in response to things, so that although they are employing some wisdom or turn of phrase thats existed for years to respond to something, the use of a cliche (to me) implies that they have reduced the conversation and thinking to a cul de sac and because such previous wisdom worked in some situation way back when, it will work this time too. thats when in talking to someone i'd like to go out with brain freezes and i realise i'm wasting my time.

Not sure to be honest. I suppose there are so many interesting words one can use in language that the same over and over for different meanings is unimaginative? Or maybe it's because growing up those who cursed all the time were generally those of lesser intelligence? Or maybe I'm just a bit too prim and proper? Peppered here and there is fine but the constant use just seems rude and uncouth.

I don't think thats a fair assessment at all... then again you did say when you were growing up, so I can't actually contest that having not been there, but on a whole I don't think thats true in my experience.

well swearing aside, people do that anyways. I was flicking through wiki there and it mentioned that fuck was considered profane. i dont think people who constantly say fuck (like me for example) are consistently profane - the words used to describe something profane don't really count for swearing or not. if you say 'why doesn't that person go and jump off a cliff' its profane, the meaning is dark, uncaring, heartless etc.. its the intent, isn't it?? - also i wouldn't relate use of language to intelligence, as you have to consider that the majority of people here would have hang ups about swearing because either the brits or the church were telling them (or them via their mammies and grannies) they would go to hell for uttering profanities (a case would be the twisting of that one of the ten commandments about the lords name in vain into telling kids not to utter profanities). If you think that majority of society is intelligent because they follow the ideals of an organization as a measure of intelligence... well thats just silly.

the language i find most offensive really are when people utter old sayings and cliches in response to things, so that although they are employing some wisdom or turn of phrase thats existed for years to respond to something, the use of a cliche (to me) implies that they have reduced the conversation and thinking to a cul de sac and because such previous wisdom worked in some situation way back when, it will work this time too. thats when in talking to someone i'd like to go out with brain freezes and i realise i'm wasting my time.

Honestly, it's probably more of a cultural/up brining thing. Here it seems to be a more accepted norm. I was actually surprised when I first moved over how often people curse as part of normal converstation. My experience growing up in small town America was a bit different. People just don't swear that often and those who do were people of a 'lower class'. So maybe it's a bit of snobbery on my part or conditioning by my father but I just think it's more polite not to curse. If my dad heard me swear, I'd get the look of death. The same as if I did't say thank you or hold a door for someone. "If you're going to act like that go move in with the yahoos down the street!" (I grew up in a poor neighborhood for my town) would be something he'd say if I swore or acted in someway unbecoming way. He wasn't very strict or outwardly religious but had a deep sense of what was 'proper' in his conservative view. Do I necessarily think people who curse all the time are unintelligent? No. Would I be offended? Probably not. Would I notice? Yes. Would I be embarrassed in public if people overheard? Probably. That's just me though.

the use of a cliche (to me) implies that they have reduced the conversation and thinking to a cul de sac and because such previous wisdom worked in some situation way back when, it will work this time too. thats when in talking to someone i'd like to go out with brain freezes and i realise i'm wasting my time.
You are speaking my (fucking) language today dude

Jill Hives - cursing is not confined to lowbrows in Ireland, as you probably know by now. I know I've said this before, but probably no-one was listening ... in my experience cursing is a way of letting someone know that you consider them an equal, and that you don't feel the need to be on your guard in their presence. It's an extra layer of communication that goes way beyond the words used.

You are speaking my (fucking) language today dude

Jill Hives - cursing is not confined to lowbrows in Ireland, as you probably know by now. I know I've said this before, but probably no-one was listening ... in my experience cursing is a way of letting someone know that you consider them an equal, and that you don't feel the need to be on your guard in their presence. It's an extra layer of communication that goes way beyond the words used.

Seriosly,this man needs to be repped into the fucking sky.

personally:

I hate "motherfucker" and "motherfucking" - it seems like a yankification to me.
Actually in general most US imported swearing grates on me, the same a much of the Americanised slang you hear teenagers use, or the AQI does.
I say "cunt" too much - that's probably the only one that really still has power to offend in Ireland.
I used to know a guy (group of them actually) who used to use clitoris as a adjective "this thing is fucking clitorised" ie broken
It sounds best in a mad west Clare accent!

It should be "shut up to fuck"

Whether that makes any additional sense, I'll let you decide.

Nah it just doesn't work either way. Shut up to fuck sounds a like something a total slut would say.

I use cunt a lot (as you might have noticed) but I wouldn't say it to a woman or describe a woman as a cunt. I don't know why but it seems wrong.

After all these years on Thumped, I still can't say that word out loud and would never put it in writing. One of my best female friends got really exasperated with me one night, cause I refused to say it. It was very amusing. But that said, I think Egg's comment re being comfortable cursing in somebody's presence, is spot on. I certainly use variations of the F way too much.

personally:

I say "cunt" too much - that's probably the only one that really still has power to offend in Ireland.

there's an athenry variation i heard as a youth that i save for special occasions.

well the curse of fuck down on top of you

not one syllable wasted there.

One of my best female friends got really exasperated with me one night, cause I refused to say it.

For some reason, this.

images

I thought it was just Sex in the City which popularised cunt being OMG THE WORST THING YOU CAN SAY.

Fuck is fine, it's completely meaningless, but anything involving ass or arse actually bothers me.

I thought it was just Sex in the City which popularised cunt being OMG THE WORST THING YOU CAN SAY.

Fuck is fine, it's completely meaningless, but anything involving ass or arse actually bothers me.

No, a few of my female friends have said, even though they would never object at the time when they hear it, that they do find it particularly offensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back