media arts dit (1 Viewer)

is this the new name for Communications: Film & Broadcasting? if so, ye..its a good course...but they completely dick you around and the degree is no longer a Bsc awarded by Trinity. I know a few folks who've done it. worth doing though.

avernus said:
is this the new name for Communications: Film & Broadcasting? if so, ye..its a good course...but they completely dick you around and the degree is no longer a Bsc awarded by Trinity. I know a few folks who've done it. worth doing though.

Hotroc, I did Journalism in DIT (just finished a few days ago). It's kinda like the sister course of Media Arts in that there's a major crossover between lecturers and, to a lesser extent, between subjects. Obviously, I can't talk in specifics for a course I didn't do but generally, the practical side of my course was lousy. Don't mean to be a moanyhole but ask anyone and they'll tell you the same - the equipment isn't too bad, but the ethos surrounding practical teaching, and the opportunities that are worked into the timetable are pretty poor.

Media Arts has more practical elements than journalism. So that could either mean that it's worse than mine and that it'll break your heart; or it could mean that they actually give more of a shit when it comes to a film and broadcasting course (we got the impression - well, we were told to our faces - that the heads down in the studios and the practical lecturers viewed the journalism classes each year as technically retarded). Maybe they take more time with the bright young media arts folk. I really don't know.

Lecturer-wise, it's hard to say coz they're the only set of lecturers I've encountered. But, there are some excellent ones and some dodgy ones who think nothing of missing random lecturers and bunch marking essays without reading them. Don't think there are any who'll change the way you see the world. There was one, and I was blessed to have him for a few months. He retired to Greece. Arthritis.

PM if you feel you need some more of this none-too-helpful warbling....

Dunno bout the interview, I went straight from school so my interest in journalism was judged on a whooole other set of criteria, known as Maths...Accounting....Applied Maths...Biology....!zed

Did this course evolve from the media one DIT ran in their Gardiner Row building (now demolished)? It if did then I hope it has improoved. I did that one, crap.

avernus said:

hey - you may know my girlfriend then. or not of course.

she did that course a good few years back.

and now she is the president of a small island.

broken arm said:
hey - you may know my girlfriend then. or not of course.

she did that course a good few years back.

and now she is the president of a small island.

no wait, I think you're talking about my girlfriend. whats the big idea?

broken arm said:
listen mate i tagged her first.

so back off.

nah...must be a different girl, she'd never let some turkey tag her. :p
so what year did she finish? If you could also scan in her degree and post her pps number, that'd help.

avernus said:
nah...must be a different girl, she'd never let some turkey tag her. :p
so what year did she finish? If you could also scan in her degree and post her pps number, that'd help.

2000 I think. I know her so well.

avernus said:
Yeah it is. I did the BSc Communications and in (I think) my third year there was a review of the course and the Media Arts course evolved from that. As far as I remember the main difference between the two is that the Media Arts course contained less of a practical element than Communications (it was about 50% practical). As regards lecturers some were alright but others were either complete freaks or deathly boring. As regards jobs etc a few of my class did go into film or broadcasting but most of us didn't. I think however that's a question of personal motivation

Juno said:
Yeah it is. I did the BSc Communications and in (I think) my third year there was a review of the course and the Media Arts course evolved from that. As far as I remember the main difference between the two is that the Media Arts course contained less of a practical element than Communications (it was about 50% practical). As regards lecturers some were alright but others were either complete freaks or deathly boring. As regards jobs etc a few of my class did go into film or broadcasting but most of us didn't. I think however that's a question of personal motivation

I was the last year of the journo communications degree. They changed to the snappy "Journalism with a language" for the years following ours. The subjects changed a little, the emphasis on the language changed and the structure of the year changed (including an obligatory erasmus placement in 3rd year where there was no erasmus placement before).

So, maybe if the journalism course has changed for the good then the media arts is also better than it was in the past.

And remember, you get two canteens in Aungier st.

This is kinda related; did anybody do History and Political Science in Trinity?
I did an interview a few weeks ago and they've offered me a place, should I take it? The professor who interviewed me was a bit of a chin-stroker? He stroked his long beard and said "Mmmm, Mmmm Chomsky, Marx, Yes, I agree"

Anyone feel I should take the course?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back