Me and My No Money (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
Hey punx, I'm working on a project sort of loosely based around 'stuff to do in Dublin that is cheap or free and doesn't suck', and I figure punx are good for that. A few of you have already been hassled by me about it, but I'm hoping I can get some good ideas from yiz.

I know all the obvious stuff (like the bigger museums, and some of the smaller ones being free), but I kind of want to bring home the overall point that if you're willing to entertain yourself, you can still find ways to enjoy a Dublin that isn't a throbbing, greedy shitehole. So the surface premise is that it has to be a fiver or less to do, but I also want to make it clear that if you're willing to engage with other human beings, it costs nothing and is way more fun.

I'm kinda looking especially for people who are very into skip-diving, salvage and stuff like that, or who are incredibly good at charity shopping, car boot sales, etc.

If yiz know of anyone, or are that person or those people, that'd be awesome.

You can buy secondhand and new novels in my shop for less than a fiver. Usual price is €3.99 for a recent decent novel and alot of books are cheaper :) .

Oh, cool, thanks!

I have a section on where to find the cheapest books as well, so these are very handy....

Scientician, where's your shop? Isn't it in Swords? Or did I make that up?

Mary's Abbey thing sounds good as well, and I know they've only started opening it regularly, so they might be well into having a bit of exposure. And also, hello, medieval building=delicious.

I would suggest walking on top of Howth on a nice day.If you cycle its free and extraordinary.The reading room in Pearse street library is cool and free.
Alternatively,You could always buy 2 yokes (2 euro each(finglas prices)),then cheap ass activities would become apparent as if by magic.

a fiver would get you 4 cans of decent rheinheitsgebot lager and a sliced pan in LIDL, then you could head down to the war memorial gardens in islandbride and feed the geese & swans-never anynone there during the week except for the odd rower and that little too far out of town for skangers to bother heading to.

you could get the 65 bus from eden quay out to blessington lake and go swimming, there's a bit of a ruined castle on the shore, and allegedly a submerged village in the lake (may not be a good idea to go searching for it). and you can rent kayaks apparently, but probably not for less than a fiver...

(i'm including this in dublin cos dublin bus goes there..........the trip on the bus is nice too once you're out of dublin)

one of my favourite free things to do in dublin is cycle to the south wall (either through irishtown nature park or poolbeg industrial wasteland, both good buzzes) and walk down/back.

one of my favourite free things to do in dublin is cycle to the south wall (either through irishtown nature park or poolbeg industrial wasteland, both good buzzes) and walk down/back.

Seconded. Going out to the end of that on the bike is the furthest I’ve ever gotten away from Dublin under my own power.

Walking Bray to greystones over the head(yeah it's wicklow but it's on the dart)
Cycling up to the Hell Fire Club out the back of rathfarham.
Dalkey hill's always a buzz.

Go and check out the vaults under Christchurch, the weird little ruined church in a park between Wexford St and Kevin St. go and see the various megalithic tombs around rathfarnham and up into the foothills of Wicklow, go find free lectures in trinners and stick around after to meet weirdos and student organisers who give free food and WINE to any freak who turns up. Go see the mad art deco masonic hall on Kildare st and then go check out the little carvings of squirrels playing pool at the other end in the museum of heraldry (where you can also see some cool stuff for free) go read old newspapers and see the fanciest jacks in ireland in the amazing National Library (tell them you are researching something to get access). Have a gander at the City hall for free and swing around to the back of the castle to see Dubh Linn, the site of the original Black Pool where dublin gets its name or if you prefer Baile Atha Cliath go see the bridge to the Four Courts where the Ford of the Wattles was. Go look for bullet marks on the wings of the O'Connell monument angels and the pillars of the GPO. Go see the Sea Stallion Viking boat in the ground of Collins Barracks - i could go on for hours - then go drinking in the grounds of Trinners - yooo!

natural history musem was deadly dont know whats the craic with that now though.(stairs colapsed people got hurt)
biotanic gardens,kilmanham gaol,glasnevin cemetery,bull island
and my favourite has to be december the moving crib and stuffed dog (near the teachers club/sinn fein bookshop) its in the back of the religious shop amazing from adam and eve, the ark up to the resurection surreal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back