mcd... our two cents (1 Viewer)

em i know that its supposed to be about £600 for the tivioli and that includes the soundman (but i could be totally wrong there) the only problem is that you cant play before about half 11 due to the fact that there tends to be plays on there before that and so you cant be disturbing the nice theatre goers with your angry brand of young ragmuffin metal. Anyway if its feasible i think itd be lovely cause the tivoli is my favourite venue ever.......ever i say!!!!

pat (13 Mar, 2001 10:39 p.m.):
em i know that its supposed to be about £600 for the tivioli and that includes the soundman

£600 for the Tivoli? That's a bargain! Quick! Someone buy it!

Ehhh... hang on... you mean it costs £600 to rent it for 3 hours????

this whole MCD debate is curious. as joss said earlier our band JOAN OF ARSE played via MCD with LOW. now, the way that worked out was i tried to get LOW over months before MCD did, and they agreed. sent my details to their english agent, who obviously got an offer from mcd and well.....who do you think he went for? so LOW asked us would we like to play with them on the irish part of their tour. none of us in the band were too keen to go through mcd but then we knew it would be great for an unknown band like ours to get the chance to play with LOW, who would attract a crowd, especially in places around the country that we'd never played. we sold a fair few records at the gigs and into shops on our trip, so even though we only got £100 from mcd, yes £100 for the four gigs (though we did miss one, doh!) it was worth it in the other way. now a few people in galway etc. have some idea who the arse are and we might get to play there again sometime. and for all those who are going on and on about mcd: an AWFUL lot of you go to their gigs anyway. and so many of the same people buy major label records, name brand cloths made in sweatshops, coke/mcdonalds etc. all that right on shite that's so hard to keep up with. its easy to slag off mcd, and they should be, they are the enemy. but if your absolute favourite bands are goin' through them and you REALLY want to see them, then theres not much choice. it IS the world of big business. i know for a fact that mcd lost money on the LOW tour, but sure they make it back off all the huge festivals/concerts they put on during the year. you know, the ones that NO-ONE here EVER goes to!

ah yes.......

'right so, lets all turn over a new leaf and start boycotting the mean people. we have to start somewhere so let's pick a worthy candidate. joan of arse - they play mcd gigs lads, they're first for the chop. then there's mcd themselves and the dudley corporation and baseball fury and damein frost (the chance would be a fine thing). let's make sure no one goes to the upcoming tortoise gig as well. have i left anyone out? david kitt and ah yes, the redneck manifesto, who could forget the redneck manifesto. the redneck manifesto or is it the redneck manifesto? and then there's the redneck manifesto and the jimmy cake. so, rather than just reinforce the bearded bandit's point, we can't go to gigs any more. lets go back to the sean nos of story telling. lets all meet up in pete's house this weekend to recall our funniest or most spiritual moments. it's a punkiest idea i've seen posted here, ever. punk as punk can be. so, beardy, all VG?

Beardy you lousy shite.
There I was, waiting for you in that pox-ridden canteen for half a fucking hour and you were writing the shite above until 1.25.
Prick.

Is anyone in Thumpedville au fait with the structure of MCD...like, we know DP is well up there, but who's at the top, what kinda circles do they mix in, who runs these little off-shoot things like Humanitat who are doing the Mogwai gig? And at the end of the day, if all of us metal/lo-fi whatver leftfield persuasion kids had our way, what would we ultimately like to see happen? Cheaper ticket prices, more Irish bands, or smaller names more often? It's fun to just spew angst at MCD cause they're a sort of Big Brother entity, but I reckon that there's enough ambition and intelligence around these parts to collect all the good ideas and put them into practice, to effect Real Change©

Play It Cool

Hey sawboss......wanna swap animated gifs?
I didn't think so......
I'll get you for this.....

hag (16 Mar, 2001 02:09 p.m.):
and then there's the redneck manifesto and the jimmy cake. so, rather than just reinforce the bearded bandit's point, we can't go to gigs any more.

You can still go to Jimmy Cake gigs.
It was widely believed (by the Cake as much as anyone else) that they had "taken the soup" and allowed themselves to be employed by MCD, but Darragh P has kindly explained the situation to us properly. The Cake were in fact sub-contracted by David Kitt once, while he himself was contracted to MCD, and it was David's decision to pay not very much money to the support act. The eighteen hands of the Jimmy Cake are clean.

Or will be after they've washed them.

But why do MCD do gigs that they lose money on? Is it to a) stifle the competition? b)to create brand loyalty (eg as with Mogwai?) or a bit of both?

This mews just in: if you look closely Humanitats posters, you will see little Arts Council logos on them. So a monopoly is also funded by a government body whose funds are intended on the most part for the development of local artwork. The saga becomes increasingly monotonous in its irritation...how feasible would it be, one wonders, to compile a list of 'instances' (with witnesses, including artists themselves) in which MCD appeared to be exercising a monopoly, and then get it to the press, ombudsman, other promoters (get the in-fighting going) and maybe have it stuck to them once and for all. Remember, they are not in favour with the public at large over the U2 debacle, and the Point depot will no longer deal with them. It could in fact be easier than we all think to give them a good kick up the ass. Also, perhaps a letter writing campaign to record labels/agencies of note explaining the situation and asking for support?

Hmm. File under pie in the sky? Maybe if people post each instance that they know of (and have ample proof of) to this thread it will all collect itself quite quickly and said document of accusation could be got together in a matter of weeks..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back